Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Overskredet sparvhuje

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Overskredet sparvhuje

Postby PinkDalek » March 18th, 2019, 1:07 pm

The Swedish spelling above may be incorrect (taken from a hand written speeding ticket issued in 1974) but has anyone else been caught speeding by an overhead sparrow and then stopped some miles later by the Swedish Police?

If not, what was the most unusual way in which you were caught speeding?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Overskredet sparvhuje

Postby bungeejumper » March 18th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Damn, and I only got rid of my Swedish dictionary last year. :evil: Overskredet just means "excess", though. Don't know what sparvhuje means, though. It doesn't seem to be speed, which apparently translates into Swedish as "fart".

So after all these years of wondering, it now appears that you may have been fined for excessive flatulence, and not for speeding at all. ;)

BJ

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 18th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Thank you for your interest and most amusing but, as you saw, I said the Swedish spelling above may be incorrect (taken from a hand written speeding ticket ...).

It was a manned police helicopter what did for us, Guv.

We had seen it hovering in the skies and continued on our merry*** way, until we were stopped by a police car further down the road and had to cough up 50 Kroner on the spot.

I searched via Google translate using a variety of slightly different spellings and somehow found "overhead sparrow" which appeared apt. It may well be it was a Danish policeman operating in Sweden or I've forgotten in which country*** we were in! The Danish Overskredet appears to translate as exceeded (or your excess). The second word may be for speed limit for all I know, but overhead sparrow will suit me unless there's anything in your dictionary similar to spärrhuje (as against what I typed above)?

*** Unsurprising given we visited Christiania Staden at some stage that Summer, although I've now checked and we were definitely in Sweden, near Ljungby to be precise. One thing we didn't suffer from at that time was excessive flatulence, despite the lager pop they sold as beer.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 18th, 2019, 4:43 pm

PinkDalek wrote:If not, what was the most unusual way in which you were caught speeding?

It's never happened to me, guv, but they tell me that in France you can be done for travelling between any two motorway tollbooths in less time than it's theoretically supposed to take. I once travelled three or four hundred sunny miles in the close company of a bright red Ferrari that could have left my Ford Focus in the dust, but didn't dare because it wouldn't have been worth the candle to try.

They used to play a more entertaining game back in cold-war East Germany, where the only road access to Berlin from the Western half of the country was via a grotty, potholed dual carriageway with high barbed-wire walls to your left and your right as you drove along. (If you think of the road as a western diplomatic tunnel through the hostile east German countryside you won't be too far off the mark.)

As you entered the "motorway" (ironic cackle) at one end, your registration number and your odometer reading would be taken and then transmitted to the other end, some 150 miles away. There was an 80 kph speed limit, but nobody cared very much if you completed your journey too quickly. God help you, however, if you were too slow. You'd be flagged down by a Russian waving a Kalashnikov and demanding to know how many escapee hitch-hikers you'd stopped to pick up along the way? Or how much contraband?

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 18th, 2019, 6:48 pm

PinkDalek wrote:The second word may be for speed limit for all I know, but overhead sparrow will suit me unless there's anything in your dictionary similar to spärrhuje (as against what I typed above)?

Well, spärr (or Sperre) means a limit or a (usually physical) barrier in most of northern Europe's root-German territory, so I'd say you've pretty well wrapped it up.

There was nothing very unusual about the way that my former mother-in-law got speed-gunned in suburban Orpington, but her attempt at getting off the prosecution was at least novel. When she was asked why she had been travelling at nearly 50 mph in a 30 limit, she explained to the officer that she'd had to floor the accelerator, so as to get safely past a 70 foot juggernaut and back into her lane before she hit the car that was coming toward her from the other direction.

The rest of us were cowering in the back seat, gently whimpering. :shock: She was fined but, amazingly, not banned.

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 18th, 2019, 9:40 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
It was a manned police helicopter what did for us, Guv.
We had seen it hovering in the skies and continued on our merry*** way, until we were stopped by a police car further down the road and had to cough up 50 Kroner on the spot.

Sounds a bit cheap, unless the Krona has been revalued - I know it's currently about 8p having looked it up last week
(The Danish Kroner is about 11p)

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 18th, 2019, 10:32 pm

I didn’t keep a record of the exchange rate but say it was 10*** to one, that would make the fine equivalent to £5 in 1974.

That’s apparently about £45 in modern times. I’ve no idea if that sounds cheap or not but the £5 wasn’t cheap for students back then.

*** Based on page 372 below:

https://www.riksbank.se/globalassets/me ... lym1/7.pdf

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 18th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Ah, I'd forgotten it was 'ancient history' (although '74 still sounds fairly recent to me)

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » March 20th, 2019, 9:00 am

sparvhok = sparrowhawk.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 20th, 2019, 9:29 am

marronier wrote:sparvhok = sparrowhawk.

Yes, thanks, that's how I ended up with my overhead sparrow in the OP.

Overhead sparrow or sparrowhawk fits the bill but I was unable, precisely, to see sparvhök on the hand written form. It'll do for me though. I was with a fluent Swedish speaker at the time (1974) and we probably discussed or were informed of the wording way back then.

I'm unsure to which post you are replying but did you find that by looking it up or are you fluent in "Scandinavian". If the latter, does my later spärrhuje or close variations thereof mean anything to you?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » March 20th, 2019, 3:50 pm

PinkDalek wrote:It was a manned police helicopter what did for us, Guv.
and we were definitely in Sweden, near Ljungby to be precise.

I believe that the Swedish Police had Bell 47G2 helicopters at that time - but I have never heard them called sparrows nor sparrow hawks. The Bell 47 was used in the American TV series Highway Patrol in the mid to late 50's - so maybe you were part of a Swedish Version? :)

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”