Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

England vs Czech Republic

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

England vs Czech Republic

Postby Howyoudoin » March 22nd, 2019, 5:51 pm

Most here will know that i'm a West Ham supporter and some will also know that I spent a good part of my life following the England team around the World, just for the crack of it.

In the olden days, an England game was something to be relished and looked forward to. One of the few games that used to be 'live' back in the 70s and 80s.

Now they're seen as an inconvenience. Very few people have any interest in International games until the Euros or World Cup start in earnest.

So . . . what's the reason for my post?

Well, it seems that a section of England Supporters are going to boo one of our own players tonight. Declan Rice (West Ham), making his debut. And this is because of a tweet he made about the IRA when he was 15.

I appreciate that football fans are 'tribal' and one eyed. But would you really boo an England player who plays for another Premier League team just for something he did years ago as a kid? If so, where does that stop? Can I not cheer a Harry Kane goal for England because my allegiance to West Ham says that I need to hate EVERYTHING about Tottenham all of the time? It's crazy.

I just posted the following message on a West Ham fan site where they were saying that they understand why people will boo the kid tonight . . .

"He was 15 for Christ sake. At that time he identified as 'Irish'. Now he's sworn allegiance to England and you STILL want to crucify him?

If England fans boo Rice tonight, I've had it. I've had it with watching England and cheering on non-West Ham players and I've had it with cheering on English clubs against Johnny Foreigner in the Champions League and Europa League.

Balls to the lot of them, football has become too toxic for me. You don't get this crap in Rugby Union."

HYD

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Re: England vs Czech Republic

Postby Leothebear » March 23rd, 2019, 8:36 am

You're right of course. A player shouldn't be ostracised for the views he had at 15. Morons will be morons. Football supporters certainly have their share.

As for the England team: Decades of under-achievement has dulled the enthusiasm of a huge number of English football fans, me being one. That, I think is changing. GS's style has been a breath of fresh air. England seem to be playing with a freedom that suggests they're not feeling the stifling pressure inflicted on past teams. Sterling is the prime example. GS has kept faith with him in spite of his disastrous WC where he couldn't hit a barn door with a handful of sand. It appears to have paid off.

Last night's game was something rare, an England performance I enjoyed. At a time bloated with gloom and doom, an England side that can instill a little optimism in me is most welcome.

Leo

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » March 23rd, 2019, 5:24 pm

agreed to both posts............However, lets not get carried away. When they beat Spain, de Germans, Belgium, France etc 5-0, will be the day I really sit up and take notice. Czech Republic are somewhere around 44th in the world..we are 5th(very generous)

Discl......was once the most avid supporter through thick and thin but over the years just been too disheartening and hope I never see another Germany England penalty shoot out or Iceland take us to the cleaners. Mind you, actually think Scotland's performance toppled that. :roll:

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » March 24th, 2019, 12:48 am

Howyoudoin wrote:Balls to the lot of them, football has become too toxic for me.

I think you were getting a bit carried away with what was being said by a few idiots on the dreaded social media. To use a rumour of what might happen as the basis for condemning the whole of football is a tad extreme.

In fact Rice received a warm reception from the England fans, and I certainly didn't see or hear any evidence of a hostile reaction.

You don't want to believe everything you read in the papers (or social media for that matter!) ;)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”