Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Own-label malt whisky

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Own-label malt whisky

Postby stewamax » March 24th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Since Lidl and Aldi both sell own-label malt whisky, it seemed a good idea (on a recent miserable cold wet day) to work my way through them.

For reference, my preferred whisky - should anyone wish to send me some - has the peat/ iodine /salt overtones of Islay, preferably Laphroaig, Ardbeg or Lagavulin, and I dilute 50/50 with cold water.

There are three Lidl malts under the Ben Bracken white label: Islay, Speyside and Highland.
I thought my preference would be in that order but I was completely wrong. The Islay was a rather characterless version of Islay malts, almost as if the taste had been 'diluted', and there was a gap in taste where I expected some sweetness. The Speyside was better: honey, fudge and generally better balanced. To my surprise, my favourite was the Highland: well-rounded dark chocolate, apple pie with a touch of honey.

Now for Aldi's Glen Marnoch white label

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Own-label malt whisky

Postby Dod101 » March 24th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Thank you, please keep up your tastings. My favourite is undoubtedly Ardbeg, although Laphroaig comes a close second.

Dod

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 24th, 2019, 9:30 pm

stewamax wrote:For reference, my preferred whisky - should anyone wish to send me some - has the peat/ iodine /salt overtones of Islay, preferably Laphroaig, Ardbeg or Lagavulin, and I dilute 50/50 with cold water.

I didn't know I had a twin :)

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 24th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Dod101 wrote:Thank you, please keep up your tastings. My favourite is undoubtedly Ardbeg, although Laphroaig comes a close second.

Dod

I well remember my leaving party in France back in the 80s..... I provided a bottle of 66% Ardbeg to educate the locals, and my meek and mild secretary must have consumed half of it! I saw her in a very different light after that, but she was certainly a lass with impeccable taste

--kiloran

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » March 25th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Must be something about leaving parties (demob happy?), but I once organised something very similar featuring Glenfarclas 105 which in strength must be approaching kiloran's special Ardbeg. I used to drink the 105 neat as well,but that was when I lived in Scotland where pickled tongue - along with golf, golf and more golf - was not an uncommon complaint.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » March 25th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Of the Western Isles malts, the only one I used to avoid was Diageo's Talisker because I found it too peppery (literally: too much white pepper taste) and I am not a pepper lover. Fine whisky though.
In the days long long ago when I worked for Diageo, the favourite 'house brand' seemed to be Caol Ila, but I preferred their much peatier and drier Lagavulin.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 25th, 2019, 10:52 pm

stewamax wrote:Of the Western Isles malts, the only one I used to avoid was Diageo's Talisker because I found it too peppery (literally: too much white pepper taste) and I am not a pepper lover. Fine whisky though.
In the days long long ago when I worked for Diageo, the favourite 'house brand' seemed to be Caol Ila, but I preferred their much peatier and drier Lagavulin.

Good Lord, are those all Diageo?

I think Lagavulin is my all-time favourite (another Islay fan here), and Talisker possibly my favourite non-Islay Jock tipple.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » March 26th, 2019, 11:42 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
stewamax wrote:Of the Western Isles malts, the only one I used to avoid was Diageo's Talisker because I found it too peppery (literally: too much white pepper taste) and I am not a pepper lover. Fine whisky though.

Good Lord, are those all Diageo?

I think Lagavulin is my all-time favourite (another Islay fan here), and Talisker possibly my favourite non-Islay Jock tipple.

"Diageo
Diageo is the giant of the industry, owning 27 malt distilleries, and 2 grain distilleries. It built its name as a producer of blended whisky, notably Bells, and now owns Johnnie Walker. Its best-known single malts are Lagavulin, Oban and Talisker.

Other single malt whiskies in its portfolio are Auchroisk, Benrinnes, Blair Athol, Cardhu, Clynelish, Caol lla, Cragganmore, Dailuaine, Dalwhinnie, Dufftown, Glen Elgin, Glen Ord, Glen Spey, Glenkinchie, Glendullan, Glenlossie, Inchgower, Johnny Walker pure malt, Linkwood, Mannochmore, Mortlach, Pittyvaich, Rosebank, Strathmill and Teaninich.

In addition to Bells and Johnny Walker, its blended malt whiskies are Black and White, Haig, J&B Rara, Spey Royal, VAT 69, White Horse, Buchanans, Dimple (sold in the U.S. as Pinch) and Old Parr.

Diageo also owns American whiskies Seagrams 7 Crown and Bulleit Bourbon; and Canadian whiskies Crown Royal and Seagram’s VO."

https://whisky1.wordpress.com/distiller ... s-to-whom/

DM

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 26th, 2019, 11:53 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:Other single malt whiskies in its portfolio are Auchroisk, Benrinnes, Blair Athol, Cardhu, Clynelish, Caol lla, Cragganmore, Dailuaine, Dalwhinnie, Dufftown, Glen Elgin, Glen Ord, Glen Spey, Glenkinchie, Glendullan, Glenlossie, Inchgower, Johnny Walker pure malt, Linkwood, Mannochmore, Mortlach, Pittyvaich, Rosebank, Strathmill and Teaninich.

That's a bit out of date, Rosebank was bought from them in 2017.

(the distillery was mothballed in 1993 but is planned to reopen)

Scott.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » March 26th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Yes - Rosebank is planned to reopen next year.
They will have better luck than St Magdalene distillery not far away in Linlithgow that is now flats. When I lived there I could see it from my house.

The one reopening I await with more interest though is Port Ellen.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 26th, 2019, 12:51 pm

stewamax wrote:Yes - Rosebank is planned to reopen next year.
They will have better luck than St Magdalene distillery not far away in Linlithgow that is now flats. When I lived there I could see it from my house.

I can see the building from my upstairs window :-)

BTW I'll believe it when I see it re: Rosebank. Similar to the nearby Falkirk Distillery under construction, I think there's a tendency to underestimate the money and effort involved in starting a distillery.

Scott.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » March 29th, 2019, 9:46 pm

I have now tried Aldi's Glen Marnoch Speyside white label. The verdict: extremely similar to Lidl's Ben Bracken Speyside. A touch of honey and caramel but still distinctively Speyside: not cloying and with just enough edge and acidity to make it interesting (can't think of a less sententious way to put it!). Not much smell.
Certainly good value.

I feel the Glen Marnoch Highland will be next.

PS: Is there anyone else out there trying these ?

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » April 2nd, 2019, 5:14 pm

Not really tried the Aldi ones but in the last year I have really enjoyed Isle of Jura-Diurach's own. I also like an Ardbeg or Laphroaig but the Jura is smoother. I am not quite 50;50, I tend to be nearer 60;40 with the malt being the 60.

Anyway need to buy something to take on holiday with us so away to see what is on offer at the supermarkets on Thursday.

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » April 18th, 2019, 7:25 am

stewamax wrote:

The one reopening I await with more interest though is Port Ellen.

Thanks. This reminded me I had a bottle of this somewhere in my cage in the cellar. And, yes, after a scrummage around I found a bottle of "5th annual release" in a box with an individual number. I then looked it up and found it was selling for well over £1,000 a bottle. Now I have a dilemma as I don't think I could enjoy drinking it! I think I'll try and sell it and buy a few crates of a more moderate malt instead.

Eb.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 18th, 2019, 10:26 am

To ameliorate the pain of Eboli's dilemma, could forum users please have a Friend button.
Anyone with £1000 Scotch is in need of friends, but I want to be first

Return to “Drink”