Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

New Gas Cooker - no Oomph

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
feder1
Lemon Slice

New Gas Cooker - no Oomph

Postby feder1 » April 10th, 2019, 9:59 am

Are modern gas cookers designed to use a lot less gas such that they seem to take a long time to cook anything?

Maybe like vaccuum cleaners which are a lot less powerful now? Saving the planet or eco something?

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Re: New Gas Cooker - no Oomph

Postby quelquod » April 10th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Can’t say I’ve noticed that. Would it not defeat the purpose anyway? Surely taking longer to heat something would lose more heat overall?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 10th, 2019, 4:38 pm

I think I can explain that, Madam. It says here that you're on standard gas, and that you haven't signed up to receive our super premium gas package, which will not only give you more heat but will also clean out all the nozzles and valves and apertures, thanks to the added ingredients that we send down your pipes. It's only £250 a year extra, Madam, and I've got an application form with me if you'd like to sign up now? ;)

BJ

(Seriously, is your main gas valve fully open? All burners giving a blue flame, and not noisy?)

Imbiber
2 Lemon pips

Postby Imbiber » April 10th, 2019, 6:23 pm

I assume you are on mains gas? If you have been sold a lpg cooker it will not work very well at the lower gas pressure. I had the reverse of this, fortunately I checked the label before installation.

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » April 10th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Looking at a few different gas cookers, the reviews seem to say that the oven takes a long time to cook.

Also that the top oven/ grill doesn,t perform well.

I reckon they,ve been dumbed down to use less gas and claim to be more “efficient” but not effective at cooking.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 10th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Do you have a gas central heating boiler or a gas fire fed from the same pipe (i.e. the pipe from the meter)?
If so you may find that when the boiler cuts in or the fire is lit, the hob flames goes down; the solution is a fatter pipe (e.g. 28mm) from the meter.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » April 10th, 2019, 8:37 pm

This from 2015,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... month.html

I think the idiots who propose and pass these laws should be required to have achieved a minimum physics GCSE grade C or equivalent. They would then be able to see the laughable stupidity of such limits.

Julian F. G. W.

Imbiber
2 Lemon pips

Postby Imbiber » April 10th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Perhaps we should leave the EU?

I'll get me coat...

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 10th, 2019, 10:54 pm

Fortunately there are plenty of second hand appliances on eBay.

I see the article also refers to the interfering foreigners imposing limits on hair dryers, but as the years go by this becomes less of a problem for me.

V8

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 10th, 2019, 11:00 pm

88V8 wrote:Fortunately there are plenty of second hand appliances on eBay.

I see the article also refers to the interfering foreigners imposing limits on hair dryers, but as the years go by this becomes less of a problem for me.

The foreigners are us.

Scott.

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » April 11th, 2019, 8:30 am

Thanks all.

I think jfgw hit the proverbial nail with the Daily Mail link.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 11th, 2019, 8:57 am

feder1 wrote:I think jfgw hit the proverbial nail with the Daily Mail link.

Well that would be a first. Have you seen https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/eu ... a-z-index/ and https://tompride.wordpress.com/2017/12/ ... rite-here/ ?

Ovens have thermostats. An oven which isn't actually defective will reach the temperature the thermostat is set to, then cut in and out to maintain that temperature.

The regulations and classifications are about efficiency. A defective oven wouldn't even pass the basic tests.

Scott.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » April 11th, 2019, 9:19 am

It's a bit tragic that people instinctively turn to bogeyman explanations, as if it's the Middle Ages, but then again they have been fed a diet of total guff for several decades:

https://www.economist.com/sites/default ... c754_2.png

swill453 wrote:The regulations and classifications are about efficiency.

Indeed. I've got a new electric oven with an A+ energy rating; it heats up very rapidly compared to the previous oven that was ~10 years old, and leaks essentially no heat at all into the adjacent units, in sharp contrast to the old one, even when performing its pyrolytic cleaning cycle at 485°C.

So, from my consumer perspective, the so-called:

"idiots who propose and pass these laws [who] should be required to have achieved a minimum physics GCSE grade C or equivalent. They would then be able to see the laughable stupidity of such limits"

...appear to have done an exemplary job into coercing the manufacturer of my oven to design a superb product that heats up much faster, maintains a more stable cooking temperature, and uses materially less energy in doing so. Bunch of "idiots", truly :lol:

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » April 11th, 2019, 9:27 am

tikunetih wrote: they have been fed a diet of total guff for several decades:

What they don't mention are the ones that are mostly correct or ones which got to the proposal stage before being met with derision from press and perhaps politicians.

It remains common practice, but is it actually legal for pubs to serve soft drinks in pint jugs or mugs when not from bottles?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 11th, 2019, 10:24 am

Alaric wrote:
tikunetih wrote: they have been fed a diet of total guff for several decades:

What they don't mention are the ones that are mostly correct or ones which got to the proposal stage before being met with derision from press and perhaps politicians.

Proposal as in we received a proposal from [insert nutjob here] to [...]. File under "don't call us". Sometimes there were elements of the British press (one of them known as Boris) pulling those nutjobs' strings to generate a story.

Illustration: I message Alaric have you thought about murdering your wife, with a link to an article on the subject. Boris turns that into Alaric seriously considering proposal to murder his wife for the Torygraph[1].
It remains common practice, but is it actually legal for pubs to serve soft drinks in pint jugs or mugs when not from bottles?

That particular myth is so old I had heard and half-believed it years before my move to Italy in 1992 - i.e. back in the era when the Borisgraph was the Torygraph and mostly supported the same crowd I did (politically speaking). Imagine my surprise when I found that the pint was the most usual measure of draft beer in Italian boozers! And I don't even mean those themed as British or Irish - which I never frequented.

[1] I have no idea whether Alaric has a wife. The question is immaterial, and none of my business.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » April 11th, 2019, 7:23 pm

stewamax wrote:Do you have a gas central heating boiler or a gas fire fed from the same pipe (i.e. the pipe from the meter)?
If so you may find that when the boiler cuts in or the fire is lit, the hob flames goes down; the solution is a fatter pipe (e.g. 28mm) from the meter.

If the cooker was installed and tested correctly, this should not be an issue. Even if the old cooker suffered in this way, a Gas Safe fitter would have detected the problem and would have insisted that a bigger pipe (or shorter route) was a legal requirement.

Julian F. G. W.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » April 11th, 2019, 7:33 pm

tikunetih wrote:Indeed. I've got a new electric oven with an A+ energy rating; it heats up very rapidly compared to the previous oven that was ~10 years old, and leaks essentially no heat at all into the adjacent units, in sharp contrast to the old one, even when performing its pyrolytic cleaning cycle at 485°C.

So, from my consumer perspective, the so-called:

"idiots who propose and pass these laws [who] should be required to have achieved a minimum physics GCSE grade C or equivalent. They would then be able to see the laughable stupidity of such limits"

...appear to have done an exemplary job into coercing the manufacturer of my oven to design a superb product that heats up much faster, maintains a more stable cooking temperature, and uses materially less energy in doing so. Bunch of "idiots", truly :lol:

A limit on the energy required to heat an oven and maintain it at a specified temperature above ambient for a specified time would be more appropriate (with consideration for cavity size). This would allow manufacturers to increase the power in order to reduce heating time and, thus, heat loss. Your oven would be even quicker to heat up and would use even less energy if it was more powerful.

Julian F. G. W.

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » April 20th, 2019, 6:42 am

To finish this story off, we had the new substandard spec. cooker removed and hopefully will be reimbursed. The company that provided this took some dealing with involving many many phone calls and missed appointments.

We instead found a small Belling gas cooker (different make) which has been fitted and trialled last night with success! No. 6 on the oven dial means 200C unlike the first one!

The Belling cost a bit more but is beautifully made and works properly. The company that provided and fitted it were a pleasure to work with.

We feel sorry for anyone who bought the first make of oven.

Return to “Does anyone know?”