Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Latest charts of income per unit

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Latest charts of income per unit

Postby Arborbridge » April 17th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Here's my income per unit progression updated to the end of March 2019. It's plotted against my benchmarks, which are RPI and my basket of income ITs. Real income progresses nicely on all fronts, and although the IT income progresses rather faster, there is of course more yield from the HYP - 5.62% against 4.12%.

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Latest charts of income per unit

Postby monabri » April 17th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Whatever you have been doing since September 18

(1) Keep doing it!
(2) Tell us!

:lol:

Are there some specials in there that have caused such an uplift in income/unit (e.g. Rio). Possibly, in addition, you have been buying shares and adding new income units when the market was cheap(er) - so you are getting more bang for your buck (i.e. income for your pound) ? I guess if these new shares were at a higher yield than your portfolio average yield, then you would get an uplift in income per unit.

(the time to buy ...was just before Christmas ! ;) )

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 17th, 2019, 4:41 pm

monabri wrote:Whatever you have been doing since September 18

(1) Keep doing it!
(2) Tell us!

:lol:

Are there some specials in there that have caused such an uplift in income/unit (e.g. Rio). Possibly, in addition, you have been buying shares and adding new income units when the market was cheap(er) - so you are getting more bang for your buck (i.e. income for your pound) ? I guess if these new shares were at a higher yield than your portfolio average yield, then you would get an uplift in income per unit.

(the time to buy ...was just before Christmas ! ;) )

I've no idea! I think the slackening off previous to that is just as interesting, but maybe it is as much to do with various changes of payout date with portfolio re-organisaion. After CLLN and Interserve, selling of Marks etc, I did change things around a little, so it'll take a while for it all to bed in.

As far as I know, I've done nothing in general which is different - just bought by the topup table as usual - so I guess it must due to the aforementtioned date changes. I'll probably pay for it later in the year!

I should have explained that each point is the addition of the previous four quarters - in effect each point becomes a rolling year's worth.

Arb.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 17th, 2019, 6:33 pm

I wonder what action you are planning based on the data presented. I realise we are in HYP-Practical and maybe it would be better to discuss in Portfolio Management & Review as you present both "HYP income per unit" AND "IT income per unit". On the face of it though, I think I would be "augmenting my non HYP holdings in preference" as a strategy going forward based on the gradients of the HYP and IT lines . :shock:

The steep gradient from June 18 surely merits some investigation? I'd concur that maybe the zero incomes from Clln and Irv dragged down the HYP performance but it might be worth having a look at your buys and top ups ( BATS for example from memory -Aviva, SLA?) and their yields that you bought at. Maybe the return of specials from National Grid are included along with specials from BHP and Rio and did any holding re commence dividend payment?

I might be wrong here but aren't your biggest IT holdings generally in UK dominated shares ( CTY, EDIN, MRCH, TMPL,IVI, SCF). Ok, you have other holdings which are non UK as well.

I implemented one of Dod's comments ( dunno where from, now) where he mentioned the use of pivot tables in Excel ( never used them at all until recently) to rapidly analyse dividends from each holding. Once I had a simple list of dividends paid for the last 3 years then the pivot calcs present the dividends in a very clear manner.

(I'm not trying to be "antsy" , simply just trying to understand the data presented and to see what can be gleaned from it)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 17th, 2019, 7:23 pm

In terms of the IT line, the addition of things like HFEL and MRCH top ups which have highish yield for an IT would also inflate the income per unit.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 18th, 2019, 6:52 am

Monabri:

I'm not sure what I can say which would help very much without going OT for the board, especially as I have no further helpful comments ready anyway! I don't have analysis to show why my HYP income picked up and neither am I confident of being able to prove anything particularly useful - not without a big input of time at a point in the calendar when I'm a bit pushed anyway.

In investment, by the time you've found a hint of an answer, it's too late - the dance is moving to another tempo.
My point in monitoring isn't necessarily to find a remedy for improvement, but just to report what a real HYP might be doing compared with a possible alternative investment style which interests me. Naturally, I might use this to alter my investment behaviour in future and this would show up in my annual report when I mention the ratio of capital deployment between the investment groups; HYP:IT:OEICS.

As a general observation about the shape of my income chart, I'd say that in the past year there have been quite a few changes which need at least a year to settle down, so it'll be interesting to see how it evolves as regards income being pushed and pulled to different dates in the year.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 18th, 2019, 7:00 am

BHP special was included, and income was lifted 13% from the previous January, partly as a result - but offset by no Marks or Sainsbury dividend in Jan 2019.

Arb.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » April 19th, 2019, 9:04 am

Hi Arb,

I like your chart and I want to post something similar in a forthcoming post comparing my HYP and IT's. I think your and my charts will look uncannily similar!

I know how to post a table, but not a graph.

Can you point me at guidance on how to do this?

Thanks

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 19th, 2019, 9:12 am

Most people seem to post the image on a convenient website, then use the URL of that image with the [ IMG ] tags provided when you post. I've not used it, but I think that www.imgur.com is the favoured place.

TJH

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 19th, 2019, 9:16 am

funduffer wrote:Hi Arb,

I like your chart and I want to post something similar in a forthcoming post comparing my HYP and IT's. I think your and my charts will look uncannily similar!

I created a guidance post on this, which will hopefully help -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11255

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 21st, 2019, 8:03 am

funduffer wrote:Hi Arb,

Thanks

Not able to reply in a timely fashion as I've been away. However, I draw the charts in Excel, copy and paste to an editing program (I have been using photoshop recently) and then upload to my imgur account. One can copy an image from there to LMF. I think tjh and itsallaguess have said something similar.
If you need some more specific help, please post again or PM me and I will do what I can.

Arb.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 21st, 2019, 9:34 am

Arborbridge wrote:...then upload to my imgur account....

Itsallaguess' guidance is comprehensive (link in the post before yours). It's worth noting that you don't even need an account on Imgur to be able to upload images (though it helps).

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 22nd, 2019, 8:12 am

Breelander wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:...then upload to my imgur account....

Itsallaguess' guidance is comprehensive (link in the post before yours). It's worth noting that you don't even need an account on Imgur to be able to upload images (though it helps).

Thanks, Bree. I thought it would be, but also knew I should pen some sort of reply to FD rather than ignore him. I've been very much in and out for the week with little time at home to read, follow or think about threads.

Hopefully FD has all he needs now.

Arb.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”