Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Which Greek Island in June ....

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Which Greek Island in June ....

Postby Clariman » April 20th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Fellow Fools, which Greek Island would you choose in June for lovely scenery, a bit of culture and history, nice food, nice coast, interesting towns, pottering about etc.

To get an idea of what we like, places we love have included Tuscany, Bologna, Florence, Italian Lakes, Venice, Lisbon, Andalucia, Soller in Majorca, Western Algarve etc.

I asked here last year, specifically about Crete in October. In the end we went to Granada and Malaga instead. At that time of year, there wasn't a great choice of flights to Greece from our provincial airport, but in June we should have a pretty wide choice.

Many thanks
Clariman

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Re: Which Greek Island in June ....

Postby malkymoo » April 21st, 2019, 8:54 pm

Most Greek islands are small, and while the smaller islands may have a share of of the characteristics you describe, you might find them a bit limiting. I would guess you are not a beach person, the reason many people visit the islands. Each island has its own characteristics, islands close together can be very different. If you want to choose one island, this would seem to limit you the larger islands, I would guess Crete or Rhodes, neither of which I consider myself qualified to advise on.

However if you have sufficient time to spare, you could travel between several islands by ferry, allowing you to experience more than one. The ferry services are very well organised with large comfortable ships or faster hydrofoils. For example you could fly to Athens, spend a couple of days there, then travel to Paros, Naxos, Santorini and fly home from Crete. This is an itinerary I have travelled myself, but there are plenty of alternatives. Accommodation in June would be readily available and cheap (Santorini is rather more expensive). You would probably want to spend a couple of weeks doing this. I should say that my wife and I are well over 60, so island-hopping is not the preserve of the young, you do need to be prepared to travel light though!

Hope the above is of interest, perhaps someone will be along soon to advise on the larger islands.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » April 21st, 2019, 9:42 pm

I liked Evia:

https://www.greektravel.com/greekislands/evia/

This ^ site has other guides on it.

I'm off to Thesaloniki in June, not an island but looks lovely.

Mel

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » April 21st, 2019, 10:38 pm

We saw lots of Greek Islands via a flotilla cruise on a sailing yacht starting from Corfu and ending at Zakynthos, if that floats your boat.

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » April 22nd, 2019, 10:51 am

Samos, greenest and best island for lack of crowds and fantastic walking. Great bus service. Lots of history. Quaint genuine village life. Trouble might be getting there. Ino Village Hotel our favourite.

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » April 22nd, 2019, 4:43 pm

Snorvey wrote:Lesbos has always appealed to me for some reason.

The locals prefer the transliteration Lesvos these days. Can't think why.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 22nd, 2019, 8:02 pm

tea42 wrote:Samos, greenest and best island for lack of crowds and fantastic walking. Great bus service. Lots of history. Quaint genuine village life. Trouble might be getting there. Ino Village Hotel our favourite.

Another vote for Samos, the first Greek island I ever visited, first in 1986 just after uni, then in 2004 with my family. A very old friend from uni runs the sailing and diving shop in Pythagorion. You can also get the boat to Patmos, an amazing place where apparently the book of Revelations was written.

Second would be Santorini, but mainly due to the archaeology and museums. They are still slowly excavating Akrotiri and it's quite amazing what you discover. From there, you can get a boat to Mykonos, where the tiny island of Delios is supposed to have been the first 'duty free' place in the Med and protected by the Romans.

Steve

PS I do all the sightseeing while my wife gets her obligatory tan on the beach! :-)

montehampster

Postby montehampster » April 24th, 2019, 5:15 pm

I have visited many of the Greek Islands over the years (including Lesbos (and eaten Lesbian sauce - very garlicky with lemon and good for a photo when you see it on the menu! )and unless you are very unlucky the weather in June should be good enough to sunbathe but not so hot that getting around becomes a chore.

As others have said if I would suggest one of the larger islands for a holiday you describe. Personally I prefer Crete to Rhodes and have stayed in Agios Nikolaos in the East (before it expanded to it's current size), Rethymnon in the West and on my last visit the village of Koutouloufari above Hersonissos which is more central but is not for the less mobile as up a steep hill or beach lover as the nearest in a 20/25 minute walk. There are in fact three villages which more or less merge into one (the others being Piskipiano and Old Hersonisos). I would recommend any of these if you want to experience a more traditional Greek experience but still be able to get to see many of the major attractions (you won't see them all in one visit as it's a very large island!).

Santorini is fabulous but everything is at least 50% dearer than on Crete but you can get excursions there from Heraklion for either 1 or 2 days on the fast ferry'

This website will give you lots of information on the island - http://www.explorecrete.com/hersonissos ... ufari.html.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 24th, 2019, 10:08 pm

Thanks everyone.

Any thoughts on Corfu which seems easy to get yo for us?

Crete and Corfu both have flights from our local airport

C

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » April 25th, 2019, 12:19 am

Clariman wrote:Any thoughts on Corfu which seems easy to get yo for us?

Corfu has been a mainstream tourist destination for getting on for fifty years. It also has or had more than its fair share of "Club 18-30" resorts.

TaurusTheBull
2 Lemon pips

Postby TaurusTheBull » April 26th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Corfu is okay away from Ypsos and Kavos, but far preferable are the islands of Paxos and Antipaxos to its south. Less people, less hassle, more relaxed.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 26th, 2019, 5:30 pm

I love the idea of a Paxos and an AntiPaxos.. if they collided would they be annihilated in a massive energy burst?

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » April 27th, 2019, 1:43 am

No, it's just a question whether you are pro stuffing with your turkey or anti stuffing....

Mel

dmukgr

Postby dmukgr » May 22nd, 2019, 4:19 pm

Naxos is a good place as a base for island hopping as the island itself is nice and you can day trip to Delos and Mykanos (1 trip), Santorini, Paros (my favourite island) etc.

For relaxing and being on an island with no cars, check out Hydra. Close to Athens and can be combined with Poros and Spetses.

Corfu whilst popular is still very nice.

Evia isn't as touristy as Crete but very nice (and for Crete I like Paleochora and Xania).

Mytalini (Lesvos) is a cheap option and full of Greek and Turkish tourists in the main.

Santorini is too much of a tourist trap these days - and looooaaads of Chinese couples getting married. Instagram has ruined it.

An alternative to going to the islands is driving around the Mani in the Peloponnese. You can get a five minute ferry to Elafonisos as well so that you have included an island after all :lol: Naflpio is a great place to stop for the first night if you drive from Athens, then head to Kardamili\Stoupa and Monemvasia (and make sure to go to Mystras and possibly Kalavryta).

Finally, I've never been but I want to go to Kastellorizo at some point. The Italian film Mediteraneo was filmed there and I've wanted to go ever since seeing it.

Return to “Airport Lounge”