Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Missing posts

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Missing posts

Postby Gersemi » April 29th, 2019, 5:49 pm

This is prompted by the deletions thread, but somewhat different.

I view posts via 'notifications' - I am set up so that every time someone posts on a board I follow I get a notification (though sometimes the notifications covers several posts, ie reply from X, Y, Z and 6 others in topic "blah,blah".

Recently I have quite often found that I click on the link only to find the the post referred to is not there. Now I had assumed that the post had been deleted, but I am starting to wonder.

For example today I have a notification about the topic "Who have I upset" on Bitter Lemons, posted by a lemon (not a spammer) yesterday at 10:01pm. But when I click on it the last post was April 26 at 8:06am. Now this thread is pretty innocuous, I can't imagine the poster said anything that either they or anybody else would report. I give this as an example - there have been quite a few where I was surprised that a post had been deleted when the topic seemed uncontroversial.

I note that on the deletions thread several people have complained about posts being deleted without explanation and they don't know why they have been deleted. Others have suggested that they didn't submit the post and didn't realise. But in this case I have the notification so the post was definately submitted - what I don't know is if a mod deleted it (perhaps someone can check?).

But it seems to me that some posts are going missing without explanation.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Missing posts

Postby Lootman » April 29th, 2019, 5:54 pm

I've noticed that sometimes as well, in replies to a post of mine. I see the notification but when I click on it, it's not there.

However in those cases the writer is someone who I happen to know gets modded quite a lot. Is it possible that those innocent sounding posts were still technically defective in some way?

Of course the author might have requested a self-deletion.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » April 29th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Lootman wrote:Of course the author might have requested a self-deletion.

The speed with which I saw a couple today indicated that the poster had self-deleted, as against requested one. In one of those cases, there were two parallel Topics. The individual may have inadvertently posted a reply on the wrong one but thought again having submitted.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » April 29th, 2019, 6:29 pm

I will generally delete double posts that I come across, and not notify anyone when I do. But that is rare.

regards, dspp

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 29th, 2019, 6:31 pm

The OP self deleted that post.

Can I suggest everyone take a chill pill and stop concocting conspiracy theories.

It could be true that the evil owners with the help of the equally evil mods have got it in for everyone and are just having a laugh at your expense...or this is just a very small community of little importance ( although we all love it) where stuff happens for different but innocent reasons...none of it sinister or of a dangerous nature.

John

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » April 29th, 2019, 6:48 pm

redsturgeon wrote:The OP self deleted that post.

Can I suggest everyone take a chill pill and stop concocting conspiracy theories.

It could be true that the evil owners with the help of the equally evil mods have got it in for everyone and are just having a laugh at your expense...or this is just a very small community of little importance ( although we all love it) where stuff happens for different but innocent reasons...none of it sinister or of a dangerous nature.

John

Sorry, it wasn't supposed to be a conspiracy theory, I thought it might be a software blip. Anyway you've resolved my query. Thank you.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 29th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Gersemi wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:The OP self deleted that post.

John

Sorry, it wasn't supposed to be a conspiracy theory, I thought it might be a software blip. Anyway you've resolved my query. Thank you.

Glad to be of service :)

John

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”