Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Prefab Extensions Anyone?

Does what it says on the tin
Dranz100

Prefab Extensions Anyone?

Postby Dranz100 » May 16th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Hi All,
We're planning a kitchen extension, and I'm very interested to have a pre-fab one.
I don't want something that looks like a 'Huff House', but I want that level of finish, and construction: I.e. it's made in a factory and then comes on a lorry, and is put together by the guys from the company, and then is inspected by the company, and all done on time.

I haven't found any manufacturers in the UK yet. I live in Kent so up for European manufacturers.
This is the only one I've found so far: http://passionhouses.com/ ....so that sort of thing rather than a Portacabin toilet block! :-)

Anyone have any recommendations of manufacturers?
Thanks
Dz

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Prefab Extensions Anyone?

Postby redsturgeon » May 16th, 2019, 4:28 pm

I have just had a kitchen extension built. I wanted to go the prefab route too but found it difficult to find a suitable supplier in terms of getting the type of kitchen I wanted (or Mrs RS wanted) and one that could fit the particular shape we needed.

You need to bear in mind that even a prefab extension will need ground works done beforehand but in terms of speed and efficiency I still am a fan of the idea. The recent Keven McCloud series "The Street" showed one couple who used a prefab build and it looked pretty good to me. (last episode)

In the end I had my designed using SIPS (Structural Insulated Panels) and the actual walls and roof went up in four days rather than the four weeks a traditional build would have taken. Mind you the whole build has still taken six months!

If you google "factory built extensions UK" then you get plenty of hits to start your research but most seemed a bit unimaginative to me.

John

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » May 16th, 2019, 5:53 pm

We're planning a kitchen extension, and I'm very interested to have a pre-fab one.

On the subject of TV shows, there's a series called 'Building the Dream'. All episodes can be streamed from Channel4's website.

While the scale of the builds are mostly house sized, pretty much every build is a prefab of some sort. I don't recall if they gave the names of the pre-fabbers but with plenty of builds over loads of episodes, there should be something worth discovering if you don't mind watching a lot of building based TV.

I found the presenter Charlie Luxton far easier to deal with than the others on C4, he's an architect and offers advice based on the plans to improve the build - I'd say that generally his advice and modifications were useful.

I don't want something that looks like a 'Huff House',

If you find yourself over in West-ish London, there's a HUF HAUS show home you can just turn up at and look around. It's in Weybridge which is close to the M25 and to add to the mix, you've got Mercedes Benz world (Free unless you want to drive stuff) and the Brooklands museum which has a Concorde. To make things even better there's a stonkingly huge Tesco next to an equally large M&S and an Argos which serves as the warehouse hub for the surrounding area and has mostly everything in stock. In all a great day out :)

The Huf Haus I found a bit ghastly, I know it's a show home, but solid and souless would be a good description. Just my personal view of course.

We're planning a kitchen extension

I would ask whether you're putting the chicken behind the egg? - Not with the prefab idea which I think is great, just the concept of being forced to design around the structures you can buy rather than designing what you want and finding a company who will build exactly what you want rather than some off the peg panels.

I've found that kitchens are tricky and you'll need to specify every last detail which in turns means you've got to design the kitchen and work out the lighting, ventilation, power points, plumbing, heating/cooling etc. before you even look at a worktop or flooring.

Good luck with the project, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Regards,

B.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » May 17th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Dranz100 wrote:Hi All,
We're planning a kitchen extension, and I'm very interested to have a pre-fab one.... but I want that level of finish, and construction: I.e. it's made in a factory and then comes on a lorry, and is put together by the guys from the company, and then is inspected by the company, and all done on time.

I haven't found any manufacturers in the UK yet.

Have a look at http://www.diyconservatoryshop.co.uk/ht ... Roofs.html who offer "All solutions are bespoke solutions to fit your requirements". Brick faced or rendered walls if required.

Return to “Building and DIY”