Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Overlanding

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Overlanding

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 3rd, 2019, 10:48 am

Snorvey wrote:Overlanding - or self-reliant travel where the journey is more important than the destination

I used to call that cycle touring. Nowadays backpacking.

The question is, could you live without all be benefits of having a fixed abode?

Not everyone has the choice.

Surely more important than the actual abode is the security of knowing you could get a fixed abode if you should sometime feel the need. For example, a financial buffer, or an open offer from friends or family.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 3rd, 2019, 12:08 pm

Not all did it "overland".

In some circles the book "Voyaging on a Small Income" is well known and respected.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/866 ... all_Income

Possibly we should list the benefits of a FIXED abode. The ones that I see are, having a delivery and banking address. Local schools to send children to (assuming they are of school age) and physically meeting your friends.

Annie Hill mentioned other issues as well, but they related to the financial and physical risks of perminantly living on the sea. I.E. what if you became ill.

xxd09
Lemon Slice

Postby xxd09 » June 4th, 2019, 9:31 am

I remember John Noakes of Blue Peter fame and Wendy Cope (Welsh Poet Laureate) selling all-buying a yacht to sail to the Med for the “good life”-very fashionable at the time!
Both ended up nearly dying in the Bay of Biscay and financially bust for good measure
A triumph of hope over expectation
A good thing to do for some people but common sense required!
xxd09

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 4th, 2019, 10:27 am

Urbandreamer wrote:Possibly we should list the benefits of a FIXED abode. The ones that I see are, having a delivery and banking address. Local schools to send children to (assuming they are of school age) and physically meeting your friends.

You can turn that around to consider drawbacks of NOT having a fixed abode, even if you're not technically poor. Dilbert has a take on it at https://dilbert.com/strip/2012-01-01 .

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”