Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Electrician Certifications

Does what it says on the tin
feder1
Lemon Slice

Electrician Certifications

Postby feder1 » June 8th, 2019, 7:40 am

I need to have a new RCD consumer unit fuse box fitted and some other wiring.

What legal things should I check for when engaging someone please?

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Re: Electrician Certifications

Postby pochisoldi » June 8th, 2019, 9:59 am

Get quotes

This will provide your initial filter - anything produced on notepaper headed "Benson & Hedges", "Silk Cut", "Lambert and Butler" (other versions of fag packet are available) or otherwise coming across as unprofessional can be rejected.

Then for any contractor you are considering, look at http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/ and/or https://www.niceic.com/ to make sure that they are pukka.

tacpot12
2 Lemon pips

Postby tacpot12 » June 8th, 2019, 10:26 pm

You should check that the electrician is registered with a competent persons scheme (CPS), both with them and with the scheme.
Your contract with them should make it clear you are expecting them to notify Building Control via their CPS and provide an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) for the installation. Ideally you will only pay the last 25% of the bill when you get the Completion Certificate back from Building Control.

I'd also suggest that your contract should include a cost for them to inspect the installation [but not produce an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)] and to provide an estimate or quote to remediate any issues you want to get fixed, before proceeding with the board change.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 8th, 2019, 11:34 pm

feder1 wrote:I need to have a new RCD consumer unit fuse box fitted and some other wiring.

I agree with the others. Legally the potential electrician really needs to be registered with a Part P scheme, typically NAPIT or NICEIC. Getting quotes is not a legal requirement but good practice.

The thing with quoting for a replacement fuseboard is that the installer is obliged to sign off on the whole installation. That installation might be sufficiently dodgy that it will simply not work with a new consumer unit as they are more sensitive to faults. The only safe way from the point of view of the electrician is to conduct an inspection, produce a condition report (at cost) then quote for the remedial work.

What usually happens is that the electrician makes an educated guess at the likelihood of problems and conveys this risk to the customer before changing of the board. The customer then lives with the consequences.

Chris

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » June 9th, 2019, 10:36 am

Thanks all for most helpful replies.

The chap we have selected seems to have met the relevant requirements.

I,m glad I asked about this.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » June 9th, 2019, 3:08 pm

feder1 wrote:I need to have a new RCD consumer unit fuse box fitted and some other wiring.

Ensure that the quote includes the Part P Certificate.
Failing to do that, because I assumed that it would, when I had my work done caused some problems after the work was done.

Slarti

Return to “Building and DIY”