Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby tjh290633 » June 12th, 2019, 10:51 pm

BobbyD wrote:It's possible, but most the electric busses I've seen have had enough charge to get through the day, although BYD have recently had to install a few wirelss charging points because their busses weren't delivering stated range, but early days etc.

I was on one of the London BYD single deckers recently, and the bus was swapped in mid-journey, presumably to go back to base to be charged up again. This was at about 4pm.

TJH

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » June 13th, 2019, 12:19 am

BobbyD wrote:
I'm fairly sure I remember a driver of the new London electric taxi saying in an interview that they hold enough charge to get through the day...

The new electric London Taxis actually also have a range-extending petrol engine.

https://www.levcwestlondon.co.uk/new-ta ... hiEALw_wcB

There are some older all-electric cabs, but I believe they don't have enough range to get through the day without a charge.

regards

Howard

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » June 13th, 2019, 8:16 am

Prius used as Taxi, some have done over 400,000 trouble free miles:

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-ne ... ood-thing/

BEV with enough range have these & additional advantages.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » June 13th, 2019, 11:11 pm

Interesting comments on Tesla by a mechanic:

https://youtu.be/W9mjH8kEr34

He argues is case well, but Imho he has failed to grasp what is going on & is applying previous experience to what I believe to be radical change in how society is powered & the influence Tesla will have.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » June 14th, 2019, 12:22 am

U.S. denies Tesla, GM, Uber 25% Chinese tariff relief

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration is expanding efforts to block the use of Chinese technology in advanced vehicles, denying additional requests by Tesla Inc for tariff relief on key components of its electric vehicles, and rejecting ride-hailing company Uber’s petition to waive tariffs on electric scooters and at least 50 separate requests by General Motors Co.

After the United States slapped 25 percent tariffs on $50 billion of Chinese imports last year under the two countries’ trade dispute, the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) allowed companies to petition for exemptions.

Government documents show the USTR rejected requests to exempt Tesla’s Model 3 car computer and center screen in May 29 letters, saying they both concern “a product strategically important or related to ‘Made in China 2025,’ or other Chinese industrial programs.”

In May, Reuters reported that USTR had rejected a separate request by Tesla to exempt the company’s Autopilot “brain” from the tariffs.

- https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1TE2AM

That's not going to help.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » June 14th, 2019, 12:31 am

Trump's tariffs will imho likely lead to more US manufacturing which with automation is likely as low cost as China cost + tariff.

Although many are saying that next president, if not Trump, will reverse these tariffs I doubt it & so I expect more US manufacturing & a reversal of the movement of US jobs to China & elsewhere.

All of this will raise US consumer prices & may set off some product inflation.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » June 14th, 2019, 12:39 am

odysseus2000 wrote:Trump's tariffs will imho likely lead to more US manufacturing which with automation is likely as low cost as China cost + tariff.

Although many are saying that next president, if not Trump, will reverse these tariffs I doubt it & so I expect more US manufacturing & a reversal of the movement of US jobs to China & elsewhere.

Regards,

Even if you are right, and it will no doubt shock you to find out I don't think you are, that doesn't really help Tesla does it?

Short on cash, being increasingly undercut, and seeing their components getting more expensive for the short/medium term...

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » June 14th, 2019, 7:50 am

BobbyD wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:Trump's tariffs will imho likely lead to more US manufacturing which with automation is likely as low cost as China cost + tariff.

Regards,

Even if you are right, and it will no doubt shock you to find out I don't think you are, that doesn't really help Tesla does it?

Short on cash, being increasingly undercut, and seeing their components getting more expensive for the short/medium term...

Tesla have their own, or essentially their own depending on Panasonic/Tesla relationship, battery fab plant in the US & therefore control the source & are non tariff for US batteries, unlike all their competitors, for one of the major costs of a BEV & expect to have similar in China for that market, again unlike many of their competitors.

Currently competitors can't make cars through lack of batteries, the Korean's for example have no ability to deliver their BEV cars till at least next year.

One can read about all the competition, but it is all technically inferior & starved of batteries. Once governments begin to ratchet up taxes on co2 emitting ice engines the revenue stream for legacy auto gets in trouble.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » June 14th, 2019, 11:24 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:

Regards,

Tesla have their own, or essentially their own depending on Panasonic/Tesla relationship, battery fab plant in the US & therefore control the source & are non tariff for US batteries, unlike all their competitors, for one of the major costs of a BEV & expect to have similar in China for that market, again unlike many of their competitors.

Currently competitors can't make cars through lack of batteries, the Korean's for example have no ability to deliver their BEV cars till at least next year.

One can read about all the competition, but it is all technically inferior & starved of batteries. Once governments begin to ratchet up taxes on co2 emitting ice engines the revenue stream for legacy auto gets in trouble.

Regards,

Tesla have literally months of cash left in the bank, the immediate impact of 25% tariffs on the 'brain' of their AP, and other computing and display components is hurting them in the here and now.

It's not going to matter how technically inferior the competition is if Tesla doesn't remain solvent...

They opted against American manufacture because it would have set the Model 3 back 18 months. So 18 months and wodges of cash they don't have to rectify, just in time for the Presidential election....

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » June 14th, 2019, 11:31 am

BobbyD wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:

Regards,

Tesla have literally months of cash left in the bank, the immediate impact of 25% tariffs on the 'brain' of their AP, and other computing and display components is hurting them in the here and now.

It's not going to matter how technically inferior the competition is if Tesla doesn't remain solvent...

They opted against American manufacture because it would have set the Model 3 back 18 months. So 18 months and wodges of cash they don't have to rectify, just in time for the Presidential election....

Tesla can raise cash if needed, but if your so confident they can't then short them.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » June 14th, 2019, 11:43 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

Regards,

Tesla can raise cash if needed, but if your so confident they can't then short them.

Regards,

You are going a very long way to try to avoid admitting the blatantly obvious, tariffs are bad for Tesla....

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » June 14th, 2019, 11:51 am

BobbyD
You are going a very long way to try to avoid admitting the blatantly obvious, tariffs are bad for Tesla....

Imho tariffs that put more money into US workers pockets are good for Tesla.

The rebalancing of tariffs that were set up to help China develop are now being scaled to reflect the economic power that China has become.

Most all manufacturers are dependent on China so that tariffs will hit all manufactured goods and likely lead to some inflation and in the by and by more US manufacturing. Tesla having a US plant for its cars and batteries is in a better situation than an importer of Chinese cars who are getting hit hard. The same is true for China. Having a Tesla plant in China allows them to avoid a lot of the tariffs that someone importing product into China will have to pay.

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » June 14th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Tesla loses key Autopilot engineer to self-driving truck start-up Embark

Tesla Autopilot perception lead Zeljko Popovic is leaving Elon Musk’s car company for Embark, a self-driving trucking start-up.

Popovic managed the development of highly accurate maps of U.S. highways for Tesla, and created a “sensor fusion system” which combines data from the many cameras, radars and ultrasonic sensors that Tesla vehicles employ.

Embark integrates its self-driving systems into Peterbilt semis rather than building its own vehicles completely from scratch, and has delivered packages for Amazon, among others.

- https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/13/embark- ... povic.html

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » June 14th, 2019, 12:02 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Imho tariffs that put more money into US workers pockets are good for Tesla.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 14th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Here is a nice objective review of a year's ownership of a Tesla 3 from an ex BMW M3 owner. He likes the car and would buy another but he is not impressed with the service from Tesla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMtl2JgxIo

His is a performance version which was $69k but he did receive $17k of rebates on that price, making it quite reasonable.

Very interesting to see some of the close up shots where you can see the paintwork...the orange peel looks awful and I doubt whether most decent car makers would put up with such a bad paint job.

John

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » June 14th, 2019, 1:22 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Very interesting to see some of the close up shots where you can see the paintwork...the orange peel looks awful and I doubt whether most decent car makers would put up with such a bad paint job.

John

One shot towards the end of the vid showed what could have been orange peel effect (caused by the presence of silicone) but I am not sure that it was.

I was intimately involved in paintshop management with three manufacturers and know how stringent they are in the prevention of contamination. I have trouble imagining their paintshop team would allow that for one minute. Even in the 90's, orange peel would caused an immediate shut down of operations.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » June 14th, 2019, 1:42 pm

BobbyD wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:Imho tariffs that put more money into US workers pockets are good for Tesla.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here?

I am saying that tariffs will bring some manufacturing jobs back to the US and that these additional jobs with automation will compensate for the lower Chinese wages plus tariffs making US product competitive.

Is this wrong or controversial?

Regards,

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 14th, 2019, 1:45 pm

EssDeeAitch wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

John

One shot towards the end of the vid showed what could have been orange peel effect (caused by the presence of silicone) but I am not sure that it was.

I was intimately involved in paintshop management with three manufacturers and know how stringent they are in the prevention of contamination. I have trouble imagining their paintshop team would allow that for one minute. Even in the 90's, orange peel would caused an immediate shut down of operations.

I am looking at the shot of the bonnet at 6.30 on a MacBook Pro retina screen in full screen view and it clearly looks like orange peel to me.

John

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » June 14th, 2019, 1:51 pm

EssDeeAitch wrote:Even in the 90's, orange peel would caused an immediate shut down of operations.

That was before Tesla decided to show legacy auto how to build a car more efficiently... and as we are always being told the rules don't apply to Tesla.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » June 15th, 2019, 12:32 am

EssDeeAitch wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

John

Let's hope the average Tesla driver doesn't have the problems these guys are talking about. They would drive me mad. A premium car with these faults? We haven't had a fault in any premium car over the last 20 years apart from those Mrs H or I created ourselves.

It would seem that if you own a Tesla Model 3 you need a backup car, if these owners' experience is anything to go by.

regards

Howard

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”