Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

How to find the horsepower of a Fiesta?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

How to find the horsepower of a Fiesta?

Postby MyNameIsUrl » July 3rd, 2019, 11:49 am

I'm looking at used Fiestas on Autotrader, but I'm not sure whether to trust the horsepower quoted. The Fiesta is available with different options of horsepower, with the same engine capacity. The only way to tell on the car is to look at the sticker in the door shut - and I'd rather avoid wasted journeys.

I'd like to find an independent way of checking. Does anyone know of a website where I can enter registration number and look up the power?
Eurocarparts website will give make and model, capacity but not horsepower
vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk gives capacity but not horsepower

I wondered if Autotrader looked up the details from a reliable source rather than the user entering them all, but I can't confirm that without paying for an ad.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: How to find the horsepower of a Fiesta?

Postby bungeejumper » July 3rd, 2019, 11:55 am

As you say, the engine type and batch number should be on a sticker somewhere. Also try inside the filler cap, or maybe in the spare wheel well. (Or just google for the location.)

Or, indeed, ask the vendor for a pic of the sticker from his camera....

Another Google, and you'll be home and dry. :D

BJ

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 3rd, 2019, 12:57 pm

Webuyanycar.com

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 3rd, 2019, 3:50 pm

It's on the log book so a request for a picture of that would work.
On Fiestas the VIN plate is under the hood.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » July 3rd, 2019, 3:57 pm

All good responses, but here’s a quicker way.

If it has a body kit, not many.

If it doesn’t, barely any.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 3rd, 2019, 4:39 pm

Once you've got the VIN number, this ought to help:

https://www.holtsauto.com/redex/news/fi ... ngine-car/

BJ

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 3rd, 2019, 8:57 pm

If you have a registration number, the following Ford site can give you quite a bit of information, includingbthe engine PS, if that is what you're after...

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » July 3rd, 2019, 9:41 pm

staffordian wrote:If you have a registration number, the following Ford site can give you quite a bit of information, includingbthe engine PS, if that is what you're after...

(PS being Pferdstarke, German for horsepower)

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 3rd, 2019, 9:52 pm

staffordian wrote:If you have a registration number, the following Ford site can give you quite a bit of information, includingbthe engine PS, if that is what you're after...

That doesn't provide the specific information the op requested.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 3rd, 2019, 10:32 pm

richlist wrote:

That doesn't provide the specific information the op requested.

Sorry, I thought the PS figure was the power.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » July 3rd, 2019, 10:44 pm

Ah, I see what you mean now, for some cars it gives all the options for power. The one I checked before posting the link gave one specific value so I assumed it did this for all of them.

As a matter of interest, has anyone used this site regularly?

I used to, when I and when my son owned Fords, and a while ago, entering a reg number brought up a page or more of very specific details including options etc fitted to the car. Now it only seems to show a single line of rather generic information. Anyone know when and why it changed, or am I just not seeing the option to get the detail?

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » July 4th, 2019, 8:07 am

I'm looking at used Fiestas on Autotrader, but I'm not sure whether to trust the horsepower quoted.

Are you looking at the fairly recent three cylinder 1 litre turbo models?

IIRC they came in three specifications using the same engine. Standard was 100hp, boosted was 120hp and nutter took that to 150hp.

Personally, I'd avoid the upper two tiers of performance and if I wanted one, would use the keyword 'owner' in the search box on autotrader. This is a great way to avoid time wasting as every single car that is really one owner will advertise that in the description.

If you were looking for a track day car, you might consider a one owner (careful lady driver) 100hp model and boost it by changing the chips.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 4th, 2019, 8:41 am

staffordian wrote:Sorry, I thought the PS figure was the power.

It is, as near as dammit. One Pferdestärke is 0.98632 BHP.

Not to be confused with kilowatts, which are another confusing game entirely. (I KW is 1.34102 BHP :lol:

It used to be that the difference between two similarly-sized engines was a matter of differently-tweaked compression ratios, cam profiles or fuel injection preferences and the like. But that the basic lump itself remained the same. Nowadays, though, you're just as likely to find that your higher-powered engine (of the same size) is a lump from a completely different manufacturer. There are BMW engines in some fairly unadventurous Toyotas. :D

BJ

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 4th, 2019, 12:26 pm

bungeejumper wrote: Nowadays, though, you're just as likely to find that your higher-powered engine (of the same size) is a lump from a completely different manufacturer.

Or quite possibly, exactly the same engine with different software.

Gryff

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 4th, 2019, 12:58 pm

gryffron wrote:Or quite possibly, exactly the same engine with different software.

Indeed, that was what I meant by "different fuel injection preferences", etc. Sorry if I wasn't clear. But I wonder how many cars can really be upgraded just by changing the electronics and a few add-ons? A few, including the detuned VW Polo I think, and maybe a few that can be detuned for running on two star petrol - but probably not that many?

I used to subscribe to a VW Passat owners' forum where a lot of members would swear that you could take a 130 bhp Volkswagen and tweak it up to 180 or even 220 bhp just by getting the electronics remapped. And so you could, for as long as the rest of the engine lasted. ;) Unfortunately the higher powered engines they thought they were imitating had harder bearings (and sometimes more of them), stronger con rods, better valve gubbins and assorted other quite major bits and pieces. Whoops. :(

A long time ago, my mate used to have a 1980s Japanese sports car (Nissan I think), which he thought was the bees' knees until one day it threw a valve. At which point the dealer informed him that somebody had rechipped it well beyond the point of common sense, and that the whole engine was thrashed to pieces at 90,000 miles. Repair cost would exceed the value of the car. Whoops again.

BJ

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » July 4th, 2019, 1:07 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I wonder how many cars can really be upgraded just by changing the electronics and a few add-ons?

I'm sure I read that was the case with the Mini One and Cooper. A few years ago though.

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » July 4th, 2019, 7:13 pm

bungeejumper wrote: There are BMW engines in some fairly unadventurous Toyotas. :D

BJ

Just as the more adventurous Mercedes owner may be brave enough to actually open the bonnet of his A Class and be rather miffed to find a Renault engine .... :lol:

With regards to the original question of how many ponies under the bonnet of a Fester, sorry, Fiasco, no, er, I mean Fiesta, no rice puddings were harmed in the making thereof. In fairness to the big blue oval though, they did at least read the recipe ;) Unlike the manufacturers of certain "city" cars I could mention ....... :roll:

MoTMork

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 7th, 2019, 10:14 am

MonsterMork wrote:
bungeejumper wrote: There are BMW engines in some fairly unadventurous Toyotas. :D

BJ

Just as the more adventurous Mercedes owner may be brave enough to actually open the bonnet of his A Class and be rather miffed to find a Renault engine .... :lol:

With regards to the original question of how many ponies under the bonnet of a Fester, sorry, Fiasco, no, er, I mean Fiesta, no rice puddings were harmed in the making thereof. In fairness to the big blue oval though, they did at least read the recipe ;) Unlike the manufacturers of certain "city" cars I could mention ....... :roll:

MoTMork

I always thought Renault made some decent engines...shame about the rest of the car!

As for Fiestas...I believe my son's Fiesta has all of 67 bhp. I love telling him I used to have a motorbike with more than twice that!

John

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”