Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

Postby scotia » July 19th, 2019, 12:38 am

Off for a spot of culture, and also the food was good -

and nearby Oor Wullie stands (or sits) guard over the RRS Discovery

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 20th, 2019, 6:02 am

50 years ago today.....

Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that first landed humans on the Moon.

Commander Neil Armstrong and lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin, was the crew (both Americans) that landed the Apollo Lunar Module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC.

Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours 39 minutes later on July 21 at 02:56 UTC; Aldrin joined him 19 minutes later.

They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth.

Command module pilot Michael Collins flew the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface.

Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21 hours 31 minutes on the lunar surface at a site they named Tranquility Base before lifting off to rejoin Columbia in lunar orbit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11

Amazing fact - did you know that the Eagle's landing onto the moon was so good, and so soft, that the 'suspension' in the lunar-modules legs didn't compact in the way they were designed to for a slightly harder landing. That explains why, when we see the original footage of his 'first step', Armstrong has actually already been onto the surface of the moon before he carries out that second 'first step' routine, just to make sure that he could get back up to the 'higher-than-planned-for' foot of the ladder...

Watching the original footage below, we can clearly see him go onto the surface of the moon before climbing back onto the ladder and then going through his pre-arranged 'One small step..' routine -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L0xnd58K6U

Amazing stuff, and the thing of dreams for a young lad when I was growing up and first learning about this fantastic mission to the moon. For many years I've hoped to live long enough to see a similar process if we're able to get a manned-mission to Mars going..

I live in hope.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » July 20th, 2019, 6:52 am

Itsallaguess wrote:50 years ago today.....

Amazing stuff, and the thing of dreams for a young lad when I was growing up and first learning about this fantastic mission to the moon. For many years I've hoped to live long enough to see a similar process if we're able to get a manned-mission to Mars going..

I live in hope.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thanks, I enjoyed watching that eating my breakfast! Not quite "50 years ago today" yet as although the lunar module landed on 20th July, the astronauts didn't descend to the moon's surface until the early hours of 21st July as you say.

If like me you enjoy this old footage, you may enjoy "The Race For Space" by London band "Public Service Broadcasting" which takes extensive audio samples from the time and sets them to music to create 9 tracks that tell the story of the politically driven space race between the USSR and USA. Each track tells a chapter of the story, from John F Kennedy's 1962 speech at Rice University, through 'Sputnik', 'Gagarin', 'Apollo 1's disaster', through to the first lady in space, the first lunar orbit, and ultimately the first lunar landing.

The band are playing the album live at the Royal Albert Hall, as Proms 10 this Thursday, and I assume it's to be broadcast live on either BBC Radio or TV, as that can be the only explanation for a 22.15 start time.

I have seen the album performed several times, including at Jodrell Bank, and will be there this week. When performed live the band combine the sound with archive video footage, which really adds to the experience and nostalgia for me. I am sure it will be very atmospheric on Thursday.

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Race_for_Space_(album)

Proms 10: https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e9p84f

The album itself can be found on all streaming services, as well as here on You Tube (with modern imagery added by the person who uploaded it, not archive footage): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZyLwfrDyjc

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 20th, 2019, 8:44 am

Snorvey wrote:
Apollo 11 has been projected on to the Washington Monument, but I can't seem to find a half decent picture of it.

This one is pretty good -

Source - https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/7/19/20698111/50th-anniversary-of-the-moon-landing-google-doodle

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 20th, 2019, 9:34 am

BrummieDave wrote:Not quite "50 years ago today" yet as although the lunar module landed on 20th July, the astronauts didn't descend to the moon's surface until the early hours of 21st July as you say.

In what timezone?
The lunar day being much longer than ours, the anniversary too can go on for a while ;)

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 22nd, 2019, 2:09 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:That explains why, when we see the original footage of his 'first step', Armstrong has actually already been onto the surface of the moon before he carries out that second 'first step' routine, just to make sure that he could get back up to the 'higher-than-planned-for' foot of the ladder...

I believe the reason that Armstrong tentatively put his foot on the surface like that was because, rather improbably, NASA had identified a possible risk that the moon surface was combustible!

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 22nd, 2019, 3:16 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:That explains why, when we see the original footage of his 'first step', Armstrong has actually already been onto the surface of the moon before he carries out that second 'first step' routine, just to make sure that he could get back up to the 'higher-than-planned-for' foot of the ladder...

I believe the reason that Armstrong tentatively put his foot on the surface like that was because, rather improbably, NASA had identified a possible risk that the moon surface was combustible!

Surely not......I thought it was because NASA had concerns the moon surface was made of cheese .

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » July 22nd, 2019, 5:34 pm

richlist wrote:
Surely not......I thought it was because NASA had concerns the moon surface was made of cheese .

No wonder he went Caerphilly.

(Someone had to.)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 22nd, 2019, 5:44 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
That explains why, when we see the original footage of his 'first step', Armstrong has actually already been onto the surface of the moon before he carries out that second 'first step' routine, just to make sure that he could get back up to the 'higher-than-planned-for' foot of the ladder...

That makes sense - but I think having just watched 'First Man', about Neil Armstrong and the Apollo 11 mission, I may have done him a disservice...

In the film, he does leave the bottom of the ladder before making his 'One small step..' speech, but he drops to the foot of the lander, and not to the surface of the moon. He then gets back on the ladder, to make sure he can get back to the module door when required, and then drops again to the foot of the lander before finally making his speech.

That makes a lot more sense, and I'm relieved that this is the case, and I should add that the film does make a big show of displaying Armstrong's really slow and deliberate first step onto the surface, which aligns with your angle regarding NASA's concerns about the surface make-up...

It's a good film by the way - not so much about Armstrong, who we know was a really cold individual for the most part, but certainly regarding life as a test-pilot and astronaut, and the inherent risks such a role carries with it...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 24th, 2019, 12:39 pm

My other half took me off on another culture foray yesterday (it was the V&A last week).
I tried to persuade her that the food festival in Edinburgh would be more to my taste, but I was over-ruled. So off to Jupiter Artland we ventured. Its parkland displaying a wide range of modern sculptures from a list of renowned artists. Since I was always bottom of the class for art, I'm afraid my opinions are not worth much, but I have to admit it was a pleasant two hour ramble, and the tea room was worth sampling. Anyway, here are pictures of a few items that caught my attention

"Landscape with Gun and Tree" by Cornella Parker

"Cells of Life" by Charles Jencks

One end of "The Rose Walk" by Pablo Bronstein

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 25th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Snorvey wrote:
genou wrote:
Snorvey wrote:And one for Scotia. The bridge that every dog hates.

Just to point out that they are trying to raise money to save this bridge -

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... ch-bridge/

They've closed the bridge!

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news/po ... re-180882/

High footfall and accelerated fatigue are to blame. Dog walkers and pensioners are in mourning.

Alternatives are being sought and even the army engineers along the road in Kinloss are on standby with a Baily Bridge.

Ever helpful, the council have said that the beach can still be accessed 'from Kingston on Spey'....7 miles away.

I think the army is great idea though. But not with a bridge. But with landing craft

[approaching the beach......Enemy shells are screaming Over head and machine gun bullets are tearing through air.

Captain Miller: Port side stick, starboard side stick, move fast and clear those murder holes.

Sergeant Horvath: I want to see plenty of beach between men. Five men is a juicy opportunity, one man’s a waste of ammo.

Captain Miller: Keep the sand out of your weapons, keep those actions clear. I’ll see you on the beach.

This is disaster! My two granddaughters will soon be off for two weeks holiday in Grantown, and the Lossie Beach is a MUST. Only their dog will be pleased.
I'll admit I did nothing about the funding call - so I must abjectly hope that the army turn up trumps. But you are correct - the kids would love to be transported in a landing craft!
Come to think about it - how about the Coastal Rowing group lending a hand (or an oar)?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 25th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Snorvey wrote:Come to think about it - how about the Coastal Rowing group lending a hand (or an oar)?

I was honestly going to suggest a zip wire type arrangement. Several folk and their dugs have been spotter wading across the river.

....but the Royal Engineers to seem quite keen to help out with a bridge in the 19th century location...i have a pic if this somewhere. I'll post it when I find it.

Could you make that a photo-opportunity for The Ego?

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » July 25th, 2019, 8:03 pm

Snorvey wrote:They've closed the bridge!
Alternatives are being sought and even the army engineers along the road in Kinloss are on standby with a Baily Bridge.

That's a blow. Let's hope the Army come good.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 25th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Snorvey wrote:They've closed the bridge!

The council should be suffering the wrath of all of the Lossie weans. Its the school holidays, the temperatures are at a record high, and they can't get on to miles of the most glorious beach! Maybe they'll need the army to protect the council as well as build a bridge :evil:

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 26th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Snorvey wrote:The bridge doesn't belong to the council.....and that's the problem. No one knows who owns it.
Meanwhile.....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-49110418

Anarchy reigns! Presumably the low-tide waders guessed that someone was bound to rescue them when the tide came in - and they probably contacted the media. It certainly created a fair bit of publicity which should spur the council into some action. I'm sure whoever "owns" the bridge will be only too happy to let the council build a new one!
For those who don't know the Lossie beach, "stranded" only means that at high tide they would have to sit on the dunes, or take a long hike to an alternative crossing - the drowning danger was only the fear that a number of them might try to cross back on their original low-tide route.
Anyway - it makes for a good pic of the day - thanks Snorvey.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 26th, 2019, 12:24 pm

scotia wrote:For those who don't know the Lossie beach, "stranded" only means that at high tide they would have to sit on the dunes, or take a long hike to an alternative crossing - the drowning danger was only the fear that a number of them might try to cross back on their original low-tide route.
Anyway - it makes for a good pic of the day - thanks Snorvey.

The nanny state only gets worse.

Lifeguard came out on a boat to check up on me just three weeks ago off Brighton beach. First time that's happened anywhere, and it's the kind of beach where there are no remotely dangerous currents, and the weather was completely benign. Thought it might be the advancing years make me look more vulnerable (hey, I'm not that far gone!), but that wouldn't explain them 'rescuing' photogenic young ladies for the BBC pic ...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 29th, 2019, 10:15 am

The water looks oddly yellow (middle pic)
Is that some mineral in the water (or Irn Bru)??

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 29th, 2019, 10:23 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:The water looks oddly yellow (middle pic)
Is that some mineral in the water (or Irn Bru)??

Peat stained. After a good rainfall most highland rivers look like this.
(PS I went to submit this, but Snorvey beat me to it)

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 29th, 2019, 10:30 am

scotia wrote:Peat stained. After a good rainfall most highland rivers look like this.

One of the things that makes diving the Scottish lochs a world class experience.

The peat blocks out sunlight, so it's like diving in the middle of the night (bring a torch!)

The conditions become similar (light-wise) to much deeper water, so species usually found in deeper, darker water can be found in the comparitive diver-accessible shallows.

(Salt water lochs of course. The fresh water ones are just dark and cold.)

VRD

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 29th, 2019, 10:54 am

Aha! Looks like a splendid place to chill out on a hot day

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”