Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 9th, 2019, 3:44 pm

I've had a few Abbeydale ones, when they've got as far south as Shropshire- consistently good IIRC

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » May 9th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Yesterday I was in Waitrose (a quite large one), no Fuller's 1845 there but I was surprised that having seen zero beers there that are new to me for 2+ months, yesterday I saw they had 5! Perhaps it's seasonal rotation but the new ones aren't necessarily warmer weather beer. Of the 5 two are Greene King from some form of series marked 'Heritage - Chevallier Series (Limited Edition)'. In 568ml tall pint bottles... elegant. £2 each which seems a deal to me! First up tonight is a 6.5% Vintage Fine Ale. Interesting to see, while there are new ranges of mouth-twisting hipster beers going off in 'exotic' directions, meanwhile headed completely another way, quality brewers reviving old trad 'classic' styles. A pint of the latter can often be had for less than a 330ml of the former - sometimes age is a virtue 8-) :lol:

Today out on an afternoon leg-stretch I passed a smaller Waitrose. Pints of Fuller's 1845 still on at 4 for £6, so I bought eight bringing my stock back to 18 8-) If you happen to visit a branch looking for it I'd suggest avoiding peak times; better mid-week and before pm rush hour, as the stock on the shelf is limited and can routinesly be cleaned out by the likes of me.

Meanwhile this pm I'm starting with a pint of Beeston Brewery (Norfolk) 'Old Stoat Wobbler' 6% Bottle-conditioned. A 'strong black stout' apparently.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » June 10th, 2019, 11:12 pm

Some guy gave me some cans because he's in one of these beer clubs but he doesn't like stouts. But a non-stout slipped through the net so today I'm drinking a can of Ora Hazy Heart. I think it's a 330ml can though surprisingly there is nothing written on the can in this regard. What it does tell me is that Ora is "an independent London Brewery dedicated to creating beers that marry the quality of finest Italian ingredients with contemporary beer styles"

Yes, Italian.

Though the ingredients list on the can say Water, Malted Barley, Yeast, Mosaic and Citra Hops. Could the Barley be Italian?

Even more confusing it says brewed by at De Proefbrouwerij, Lochristi-Hijfte, Belgium

Research tells me that De Proefbrouwerij was set up in 1996 and acts as a "rental brewery" for beer co's across the globe. Is this the future.

Anyhow, the beer is all grapefruit and gooseberry. Light yellow and hazy. Not much aroma and not much bite for a 5% abv beer. It's not bad if you like that sort of thing but not outstanding.

Edit: Seems Ora was started in Italy in Modena but I guess they figured the market was limited so they also set up in London aswell. Confused. Yeah, me too.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » July 1st, 2019, 9:36 pm

Lootman wrote:
Imbiber wrote:Hi Lootman

Did you source that Pliny in the UK. If so would you care to share where you sourced it?

Cheers.

Sadly not. My wife's family live in the US and bring me a bottle now and then.

BrummieDave wrote:I'm visiting their Brewpub in Santa Rosa this summer and will be having some of this; really looking forward to it too!

Yeah, I've been there a couple of times, including one memorable visit for the annual release of Pliny the Younger. It's only brewed in casks so to drink it you have to go there, right about now in fact.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/21690/

Back in February I posted that I'd be in the Santa Rosa area this summer and was looking forward to trying 'Pliny the Elder' (it's big brother, Pliny the Younger, being a seasonal ale released once a year, as referenced by Lootman, so not available in summer). Well, I've just returned and although I didn't make it to Santa Rosa, I did have several bottles of Pliny the Elder bought closeby in Sonoma, and it certainly lived up to my expectations. Interestingly, the brewery 'Russian River' tightly control who they supply to locally, how it is kept in store, and the retailer (the excellent 'Wholefoods' in this case), limits the purchaser to 6 bottles per person "so more people can enjoy it".

It's an 8% Double IPA that tastes surprisingly light (dangerous!), just hoppy enough, slightly citrus, but overall remarkably balanced; nothing not to like, and plenty to really enjoy.

Whilst I'm on, although I visit the US quite frequently, the range and quality of beers in California really impressed me. The whole 'scene' has really matured, weaker players been shaken out, and some excellent breweries and tap rooms have emerged. Stone and Firestone Walker were widespread, but there's many more biting at their heels. Few beers are now sold under 5% and are usually Wheat/Sours/Pilsner, with PAs in various guises (West Coast, Session, Doubles, Crypto etc) coming in between 5.8% up to 9%. Quite a few stouts and brown ales in evidence too, and more during winter according to other drinkers I met. I particularly enjoyed several beers from The Institutional Ale Co. of Camarillo.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 1st, 2019, 9:56 pm

Thanks for reminding me this board exists - been a bit quiet!

Nothing much of interest beer-wise recently but did enjoy one from Tring Brewery ('Side Pocket for a Toad' you may have heard of..)
Citra Session 3.9% ABV
https://www.tringbrewery.co.uk/product/citra-session/

Locn: Reading 'spoons - the one towards Oxford Rd

Very pleasant session beer, ideal for a summer evening in the beer garden. Citra, but not overpowering /massively hopped, and the sub 4% ABV means it goes down a treat. I had several

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 8th, 2019, 8:00 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Currently on a Red Cat C60, a rather piney/chewy since effort, which is pleasant but not the best I've had from them
(Purchased from The Grumpy Goat, a rather good beer shop in Reading. Pop in if you're in the area..)

Since = Simcoe (bl00dy autocorrect)

C60 is not one of my favourites of theirs. Prowler still takes some beating on tap as a session ale or Tom Cat in the bottle is excellent. They seem to have expanded their range a little too much IMHO. One of their brewers now works at my local and he is brewing some excellent house beers there now.

I will be going to the GBBF with the Red Cat crew in a few weeks time.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 8th, 2019, 8:02 am

If anyone is down Eastleigh way then the Steam Town brew pub is brewing some excellent ales...five minutes from the station!

John

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » July 16th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Tried Wychwood's bottled Hobgoblin IPA for the first time at the weekend. Quite impressed!
Must look out for their Hobgoblin Gold and compare the two.
Their unpasteurised Dr Thirsty's looks interesting too, but I haven't seen it on display.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 16th, 2019, 8:08 pm

stewamax wrote:Tried Wychwood's bottled Hobgoblin IPA for the first time at the weekend. Quite impressed!
Must look out for their Hobgoblin Gold and compare the two.
Their unpasteurised Dr Thirsty's looks interesting too, but I haven't seen it on display.

... and their 6.6% King Goblin ['lol'], a bit of a solid proposition, though I've only seen it the one time I bought a bottle, somewhere in London IIRC...

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 17th, 2019, 9:30 am

My local had Titanic Steerage on cask last night, very palatable, slightly fruity with a little bit of funk, good sessionable ale 3.8%.

Usual jokes about do you want ice with that, bit of lettuce on the side, "going down nicely".

John

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » July 22nd, 2019, 10:19 am

stewamax wrote:Tried Wychwood's bottled Hobgoblin IPA for the first time at the weekend. Quite impressed!
Must look out for their Hobgoblin Gold and compare the two

A Hobgoblin Gold passed my lips last night. Pleasant but not hoppy enough - and not a patch on the (stronger) IPA which is rather like a detuned version of Fullers 1845.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » July 26th, 2019, 3:00 pm

I have now tried Wychwood's Hobgoblin, Hobgoblin Gold, Hobgoblin IPA and King Goblin. I have yet to see Black Wych porter or Imperial Red.
The standout winner by a long chalk is Hobgoblin IPA.
King Goblin is pleasant - tastes like a stronger version of Hobgoblin.
Hobgoblin and Hobgoblin Gold are a bit insipid for me, but may suit someone who likes beer less hoppy.

And TESCO are currently selling Hobgoblin IPA on their 4 for £6 offer.

I am told that that the brewery also make a variety of white-label beers for Lidl. I must investigate...

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 26th, 2019, 9:03 pm

stewamax wrote:I am told that that the brewery also make a variety of white-label beers for Lidl. I must investigate...

Labelled under the Hatherwood brand.
cf. Uniformly poor>very poor, apart from one line that was above average, and the lower price didn't compensate for the lower quality of any of them. I bought 5-7 of them - different bottles - on offer one time, and tried them all out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wychwood_Brewery

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 30th, 2019, 5:26 pm

stewamax wrote:I have now tried Wychwood's Hobgoblin, Hobgoblin Gold, Hobgoblin IPA and King Goblin. I have yet to see Black Wych porter or Imperial Red. The standout winner by a long chalk is Hobgoblin IPA. King Goblin is pleasant - tastes like a stronger version of Hobgoblin....

I don't mind 'stronger versions' of decent beers :) Though that said I usually start an evening of beer with a single pint of something new to me, higher ABV (say 5.5%/+) or somehow special, while my palate is still fresh - after which it seems to matter far less.

I finally ran into King Goblin again, for only the second time in London (in fact, anywhere). It was in a Sainsbury mega-store quite a long walk from my home. That branch also happens to be the only place I've seen that stocks the luscious Robinsons Old Tom, so maybe going there on foot to buy it will help burn off the calories from the higher ABV% :lol:

But, point is, maybe people who shop online from Sainsbury are able to order both of these beers for simple home delivery...

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » August 9th, 2019, 11:08 pm

Drank Harpoon Dunkin' Coffee Porter out of a can this evening.

I would never have done this except for a mate gave me some cans that he got sent by one of these one a month random box order things and he doesn't like dark beers (weirdo!). Normally I don't buy cans or a beer based on Dunkin' Donuts coffee! On top of all that I am not a big fan of coffee flavoured beers.

Anyhow, it was a pleasant surprise. The coffee wasn't overdone (and this is a USA brew) and the beer was nicely balanced. It was just a very pleasant drink poured into a slimish handled half pint glass. ABV 6%.

Off to Scotland for two weeks and hoping to try out a couple of local brews as well as a tot or two of whisky.

Imbiber
2 Lemon pips

Postby Imbiber » August 11th, 2019, 6:21 am

Pliny the Elder at Russian River brewery. Windsor California. Did the brewery tour with a few tasters before. Brewery is a state of the art sterile area apart from a cool ship floor where they experiment with wild yeasts. Pliny was very nice, exceptional? probably not, but I may be suffering a lupulin threshold shift after three weeks on the West Coast. Flying home tomorrow, looking forward to a pint of Mad Goose or a Gadd's at my local.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 11th, 2019, 9:50 am

GrandOiseau wrote:Drank Harpoon Dunkin' Coffee Porter out of a can this evening.

I would never have done this except for a mate gave me some cans that he got sent by one of these one a month random box order things

Would that random box be something called "beer52"?

A beer offer slipped out of my Private Eye this week. Free sample - no doubt designed to hook me onto a longer-term subscription. I just looked at it, and one of those pictured was an unlikely name I'd seen in the unlikely context of your post!

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » August 22nd, 2019, 9:46 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
GrandOiseau wrote:Drank Harpoon Dunkin' Coffee Porter out of a can this evening.

I would never have done this except for a mate gave me some cans that he got sent by one of these one a month random box order things

Would that random box be something called "beer52"?

A beer offer slipped out of my Private Eye this week. Free sample - no doubt designed to hook me onto a longer-term subscription. I just looked at it, and one of those pictured was an unlikely name I'd seen in the unlikely context of your post!

It could well be but I never asked.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » August 30th, 2019, 11:48 pm

Drinking Black Isle Alstadt Munchen Lager 4.8% (Natural and Unfiltered) dispensed from a can into a glass.

Apparently the Head Brewer is German so he should know what he's doing.

I am sure it's true to style, just not sure it's my style.

I maybe served it a bit too cold but still. Definitely malty. MMmmmm...

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » August 31st, 2019, 6:59 pm

Black Isle Brewery has narrowly crossed my radar, and it seems they produce quite a range though they're not something I see much out and about in London. They also brew beers for a uber-poncey/$$$$ local London grocers and I've tried those and didn't think much of them at all.* To me the more a beer trumpets 'Organic', 'Soil Association' etc etc the more it can appear handicapped by it's own limitations.

I'm currently supping a Greene King Heritage Vintage Fine Ale 6.5% (Waitrose). Lovely beer but to me it might be a bit deep and intense for a summer evening. Suits colder months better for me.

*'One to comtemplate after a solid session', to what extent if any, do people feel unspoken pressure to find higher cost beer better?

Return to “Drink”