Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Summer Friendlies

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Tzvikmister

Summer Friendlies

Postby Tzvikmister » July 22nd, 2019, 11:11 am

Go on, put your thoughts on your team's summer campaigns lads!
Also, opinions on transfer market are more than welcomed here!

I'm not a Spurs fan, but I saw their friendly vs. Juve. Must say that not only I've been following Ndombele for a while now, when this guy entered the field, he completely bossed the middle of the park there. What a gem!

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Re: Summer Friendlies

Postby dionaeamuscipula » July 22nd, 2019, 1:33 pm

Tzvikmister wrote:Go on, put your thoughts on your team's summer campaigns lads!

I'm not a Spurs fan, but I saw their friendly vs. Juve. Must say that not only I've been following Ndombele for a while now, when this guy entered the field, he completely bossed the middle of the park there. What a gem!

Utterly unpredictive of success in the coming season, but still nice to see a very mixed Spurs group put one over on Ronaldo. Kane's goal is worth having a look at, friendly or not.

Sad to see Trippier and Rose go, but the low pricing suggests an underlying issue. Janssen: never seems to have quite fitted in but has actually done quite well whenever his rare opportunities have come along, good luck elsewhere. N'Koudou? who he?

DM

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 22nd, 2019, 3:37 pm

I'm not sure Liverpool will be rushing to play Sevilla again in a pre-season game....

https://streamja.com/g4rZ

Quite a lot of the first-team still away on holiday at the moment, so difficult to judge these matches to be honest, but it's great to see Klopp giving some of the youngsters a chance to shine.

Expecting to see a bit more of Brewster this season, and I just cannot wait to see Ox back in action...

#likeanewsigning etc, etc....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Tzvikmister

Postby Tzvikmister » July 30th, 2019, 1:07 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
Tzvikmister wrote:Go on, put your thoughts on your team's summer campaigns lads!

Utterly unpredictive of success in the coming season, but still nice to see a very mixed Spurs group put one over on Ronaldo. Kane's goal is worth having a look at, friendly or not.

Sad to see Trippier and Rose go, but the low pricing suggests an underlying issue. Janssen: never seems to have quite fitted in but has actually done quite well whenever his rare opportunities have come along, good luck elsewhere. N'Koudou? who he?

DM

Let me say that - I've been watching Ndombele for a while now, as a Lyon player. I can say that he's one of the most promising MFs in the world right now. What a bargain, you bought a gem.

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » July 30th, 2019, 5:16 pm

My lot playing their first serious pre-season game at home to Nice tonight, no idea what Nice are like or where they finished last season.

Tzvikmister

Postby Tzvikmister » August 5th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Stan wrote:My lot playing their first serious pre-season game at home to Nice tonight, no idea what Nice are like or where they finished last season.

I mean, they're having a decent time in their league... they sold one of their stars, Saint Maximin to the magpies, he's a good winger... they also had some familiar faces like Balotelli in recent years... they finished 7th in their league last season (which is a nice accomplishment). All in all they're a very decent team.
That being said, you nailed 6 in their net, so I guess they got weakened...

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 5th, 2019, 4:54 pm

my team - villa - have spent over £100m on new players.

over half the team will be new. .

they have won all their friendlies , but i see them as getting up to speed and fitness exercises.

non of this can point to how they will fare in the prem , especially against the likes of spurs , man city , liverpool etc .

i think most fans will be happy if we just establish a footing this season.

where this allegiance to a team comes from i have no idea.

:D

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » August 5th, 2019, 7:49 pm

Tzvikmister wrote:
Stan wrote:My lot playing their first serious pre-season game at home to Nice tonight, no idea what Nice are like or where they finished last season.

I mean, they're having a decent time in their league... they sold one of their stars, Saint Maximin to the magpies, he's a good winger... they also had some familiar faces like Balotelli in recent years... they finished 7th in their league last season (which is a nice accomplishment). All in all they're a very decent team.
That being said, you nailed 6 in their net, so I guess they got weakened...

Apparently Nice were not up to much on the day but all these pre-season games are just to gain match fitness they so suited the exercise.

Beat parma 2-0 on Sat but the real games start on Saturday of course.

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » August 5th, 2019, 7:52 pm

jackdaww wrote:my team - villa - have spent over £100m on new players.

they have won all their friendlies , but i see them as getting up to speed and fitness exercises.

non of this can point to how they will fare in the prem , especially against the likes of spurs , man city , liverpool etc .

Well I don't know about the rest of your signings but I can assure you that Tom Heaton will do you proud, not only on the field but off it as well as he's a superb sportsman/professiona in every way.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 5th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Stan wrote:

Well I don't know about the rest of your signings but I can assure you that Tom Heaton will do you proud, not only on the field but off it as well as he's a superb sportsman/professiona in every way.

=======================

agreed , heaton is a very good signing indeed.

the rest , other than those we had on loan , i know nothing about .

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » August 6th, 2019, 8:05 pm

jackdaww wrote:
Stan wrote:

=======================

Most Burnley fans are amazed at the low fee as well of only £8 million, considering that he is an England international.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » August 7th, 2019, 7:32 am

Stan wrote:
jackdaww wrote:
Stan wrote:

=======================

Most Burnley fans are amazed at the low fee as well of only £8 million, considering that he is an England international.

=============================

yes were lucky with such a good deal, which has greatly improved villa's chances of getting a foothold in the prem.

most successful teams have / had an outstanding keeper.

i remember brian clough paying a lot for peter shilton .

Tzvikmister

Postby Tzvikmister » August 8th, 2019, 8:12 am

Stan wrote:Apparently Nice were not up to much on the day but all these pre-season games are just to gain match fitness they so suited the exercise.

Beat parma 2-0 on Sat but the real games start on Saturday of course.

Yeah, these friendlies are not an indication to how each club's season will look like. They're mostly, like you said, being played in order to get match fitness towards the beginning of the season. And then there's the transfers (that won't be relevant in a couple of hours).
Yet still it's a good way to keep yourself occupied during this so frustrating summer when there's nothing to watch...

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » August 9th, 2019, 7:48 am

Slightly O/T but here's a pre-season rap from our very own Burnley Basher ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXbY6pmXMJM

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”