Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Favourite Threads / Posts

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
stooz
Site Admin

Re: Favourite Threads / Posts

Postby stooz » August 7th, 2019, 8:45 pm

I have to say - as the owner of the site - that bookmarks link being hidden in the user control panel is a bit rubbish.
I would rather it was under "quick links"

I might just have to move that...

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 7th, 2019, 9:46 pm

stooz wrote:I have to say - as the owner of the site - that bookmarks link being hidden in the user control panel is a bit rubbish.

I don't use bookmarks, but I do subscribe to forums and topics.

I have to say - as a user of the site - that the subscriptions link being hidden in the user control panel is a bit rubbish.

;)

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » August 8th, 2019, 12:18 am

mc2fool wrote:
stooz wrote:I have to say - as the owner of the site - that bookmarks link being hidden in the user control panel is a bit rubbish.

I don't use bookmarks, but I do subscribe to forums and topics.

I have to say - as a user of the site - that the subscriptions link being hidden in the user control panel is a bit rubbish.

;)

Yes, I see no problem with having quick links for either or both. I probably won't use them, but that's only because I've got my quick access to my bookmarks already set up on the 'Favourites Bar' of my browser, it works well for me and I'm used to it. I.e. now that I've done that, it's a case of "ain't broke, don't fix" - but I'm pretty sure having the quick links would have saved me some teething troubles when I originally started using the site.

As regards bookmarks vs subscribing, at that time it did seem a bit odd to me that the software has facilities to subscribe to forums/boards, to subscribe to topics/threads and to bookmark topics/threads, but not to bookmark forums/boards. There's a bit of non-orthogonality there, which in particular manifested in me not really understanding the relationship (if any) between subscribing to a forum/board and subscribing to the threads/topics on that forum/board. However, it struck me that I could work around that lack of understanding by only using just subscribing to forums/boards and bookmarking threads/topics, two clearly separate and independent facilities, and thereby put off the time when I needed to understand how subscribing to threads/topics related to either of them. So I ended up just using subscribing to forums/boards (to indicate that I want new threads/topics on them drawn to my attention) and bookmarking threads/topics (to indicate that I'm interested in reading them). That worked well enough for me that "ain't broke, don't fix" applies again, and so I still haven't got around to trying to understand exactly how subscribing to forums/boards fits in... Anyway, that's by way of explanation why I bookmark threads/topics rather than subscribing to them, but neither is nor is meant to be an argument that it's better to do it that way - to produce an informed argument either way about which is better, I'd have to give both approaches a serious go, and that simply isn't something I've done (nor am I likely to anytime soon).

Gengulphus

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”