Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

First Direct Internet Banking Plus closing

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: First Direct Internet Banking Plus closing

Postby AF62 » August 8th, 2019, 9:28 pm

mc2fool wrote:
paulnumbers wrote:I've used ewise for 10-15 years.

And have you been using it on the same computer for all that time? :)

The site you linked to looks like one from a bygone age, and it does say, on that page, "... accountunity has been designed to take advantage of the security features of Internet Explorer 6 ..."! And their FAQ says, "The Portable Profile feature allows you to save your private details onto a floppy disk ..."! :D

In any case, the real question for folks looking for something like this is how does it deal with two factor authentication -- and will it still work after the 14th of September?

FDIBP needed you to use Internet Explorer - there was something specific in it that it needed to work (can't remember what).

As for 2FA - it depends how it is implemented. If it is to log in, then FDIBP or similar then simply won't work as it cannot know the 2FA bit. If the 2FA is needed after login to authenticate the transaction, then it will work fine.

First Direct obviously recognised this some years ago when you could either log in to their own site using a password (so FDIBP would work) but you were not allowed to set up any new payment beneficiaries - if you wanted to do that you either had to phone up or log in using a 'secure' 2FA code from their app which you couldn't do through FDIBP.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 8th, 2019, 9:56 pm

AF62 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
paulnumbers wrote:I've used ewise for 10-15 years.

And have you been using it on the same computer for all that time? :)

The site you linked to looks like one from a bygone age, and it does say, on that page, "... accountunity has been designed to take advantage of the security features of Internet Explorer 6 ..."! And their FAQ says, "The Portable Profile feature allows you to save your private details onto a floppy disk ..."! :D

In any case, the real question for folks looking for something like this is how does it deal with two factor authentication -- and will it still work after the 14th of September?

FDIBP needed you to use Internet Explorer - there was something specific in it that it needed to work (can't remember what).

Maybe so but my point was that the suggested ewise site looks like it hasn't been updated in a couple of decades (IE 6 was released in 2001, and as for floppy disks...)

AF62 wrote:As for 2FA - it depends how it is implemented. If it is to log in, then FDIBP or similar then simply won't work as it cannot know the 2FA bit,,,

And 2FA to login is the Strong Customer Authentication requirement of the 2nd Payment Services Directive (PSD2) coming into mandatory force on the 14th of September, which was exactly my point, as Paul seemed to be promoting ewise as the same as the First Direct soon-to-be-withdrawn service....

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 9th, 2019, 9:03 am

mc2fool wrote:
AF62 wrote:As for 2FA - it depends how it is implemented. If it is to log in, then FDIBP or similar then simply won't work as it cannot know the 2FA bit,,,

And 2FA to login is the Strong Customer Authentication requirement of the 2nd Payment Services Directive (PSD2) coming into mandatory force on the 14th of September, which was exactly my point, as Paul seemed to be promoting ewise as the same as the First Direct soon-to-be-withdrawn service....

Which reminds me that FD themselves are withdrawing soon the ability to login with just a password and are forcing the use 2FA through a secure code provided by their (awful) app. So if FDIBP won't work with their own FD banking site, I can see why they are withdrawing it ahead of the changes to that.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 9th, 2019, 12:50 pm

AF62 wrote:Which reminds me that FD themselves are withdrawing soon the ability to login with just a password and are forcing the use 2FA through a secure code provided by their (awful) app. So if FDIBP won't work with their own FD banking site, I can see why they are withdrawing it ahead of the changes to that.

You don't have to use the app at all, you can use a Secure Key to generate a 2FA code.

Slarti

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » September 2nd, 2019, 10:27 pm

mc2fool wrote:
AF62 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:And have you been using it on the same computer for all that time? :)

Maybe so but my point was that the suggested ewise site looks like it hasn't been updated in a couple of decades (IE 6 was released in 2001, and as for floppy disks...)

Well, HSBC has stopped working, I'm sure you're right that FD will soon too.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”