Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby BobbyD » August 16th, 2019, 9:19 am

dspp wrote:Friends of mine do, or have in the past, run Maseratis or Porsches or Ferraris. They mostly lived about a 125 miles or more from the corresponding brand's dealers & service centres (let's call that the same thing). It didn't seem to stop them buying them either new or fairly new, and they accepted the issues with getting them to the dealers for servicing & repairs. Indeed these tend to be a need for fairly frequent servicing, all-too-frequent repairs, and eye-watering bills. Oh, and they absolutely had to go to the dealer.

This is/was in the UK.

There are some relevant points in this:
- many brands do not have dealers at 25-mile intervals across the UK;
- many people live in areas where dealers are a very considerable distance away;
- the brands in question managed to remain desirable, despite a need for frequent servicing, eye-watering costs, and inconvenient but common need for repairs;
- and everyone seemed to think this was all perfectly reasonable.

I think some of you have a very metro-centric view of things, and a reluctance to acknowledge that quite a lot of the FUD you are throwing around is equally - if not more - applicable to legacy dino-juice auto than to Tesla EVs.

regards, dspp

Did any of them put you in to a queue when you phoned them and then disconnect you after an hour on hold every time you called them, and just ignore your emails? Maserati, Porsche and Ferrari manage to remain well regarded and profitable precisely because they pay attention to the whole company/customer interaction. This is exactly what Tesla, and some Tesla shareholders, are studiously ignoring.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » August 16th, 2019, 9:44 am

BobbyD wrote:
dspp wrote:Friends of mine do, or have in the past, run Maseratis or Porsches or Ferraris. They mostly lived about a 125 miles or more from the corresponding brand's dealers & service centres (let's call that the same thing). It didn't seem to stop them buying them either new or fairly new, and they accepted the issues with getting them to the dealers for servicing & repairs. Indeed these tend to be a need for fairly frequent servicing, all-too-frequent repairs, and eye-watering bills. Oh, and they absolutely had to go to the dealer.

This is/was in the UK.

- many people live in areas where dealers are a very considerable distance away;
- the brands in question managed to remain desirable, despite a need for frequent servicing, eye-watering costs, and inconvenient but common need for repairs;

I think some of you have a very metro-centric view of things, and a reluctance to acknowledge that quite a lot of the FUD you are throwing around is equally - if not more - applicable to legacy dino-juice auto than to Tesla EVs.

regards, dspp

Did any of them put you in to a queue when you phoned them and then disconnect you after an hour on hold every time you called them, and just ignore your emails? Maserati, Porsche and Ferrari manage to remain well regarded and profitable precisely because they pay attention to the whole company/customer interaction. This is exactly what Tesla, and some Tesla shareholders, are studiously ignoring.

I don't know. I do know that sales & service relationships with customers of these brands have not / are not always perfect based on some of the stories I am told, but clearly I don't know all the details.

I am sure that Tesla sales are not perfect and can be improved. Equally I am very supportive of Tesla pushing as much as possible into an on-line channel, and thereby neutralising a lot of time-wasters. The only time I have directly asked myself for a test drive I was told yes, but they only had a S or an X available and all their 3s were out at the time on booked test drives. I did by the way point out that at that particular moment it would have been for interest only, but they were still prepared to let me do it. However I was only interested in the 3 and did not take it further.

Bottom line: Tesla could usefully improve some things, but are doing OK in changing the way things are always done.

regards, dspp

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 16th, 2019, 9:58 am

dspp wrote:I am sure that Tesla sales are not perfect and can be improved. Equally I am very supportive of Tesla pushing as much as possible into an on-line channel, and thereby neutralising a lot of time-wasters.

Time wasters is an interesting way to describe customers who have parted with upwards of £40k for one of your cars and would like some basic information on it's delivery/repair which is running 'somewhat' behind.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » August 16th, 2019, 10:37 am

This is/was in the UK.

regards, dspp

dspp

I'm not sure you are living in the real world when you start comparing Teslas with Maseratis, Porsches or Ferraris.

Except that you are backing my theory that many of the customers of Tesla are very wealthy and can dabble in owning exotic cars as they have a few more in their garage. They aren't the average motorist who needs a reliable car.

Also, you, like others are quoting "friends" who have experiences so you don't have "real" experiences of these cars. I have a friend with a helicopter, but would hesitate to consider myself able to give opinions on which brand of helicopter would suit the average pilot. :D

Some of us aren't spreading FUD, but are raising real issues which may affect a typical real world motorist. We have actually driven electric cars, purchased and leased quality cars, interacted with Tesla's Sales operation and have a reasonable idea of what the owner of a £40 - £60k car might expect.

I have also owned a Porsche 911 for three years trouble-free motoring so didn't have to visit the dealer more than twice (once because I kerbed an alloy wheel which admittedly was expensive!)

So I don't think you are being fair suggesting a lot of FUD is being spread here. We're representing critical but rational views and, at the moment, the market is agreeing with us. Any decent motor manufacturer will be able to build a strong brand and refute our criticisms. Testing Tesla's practices in the UK market is totally valid for us as potential investors. They will have to satisfy a lot of us who wouldn't dream of buying a car without test driving it and reading consumer reviews like "Which" - we are the type of consumer they have to sell to.

regards

Howard

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 16th, 2019, 10:51 am

redsturgeon
Leased cars by their very nature are new cars. Most new cars these days have at least a three year warranty from the manufacturer therefore they will take them back via their dealer network , fix them for free in that time period and IME provide a free loan car. I think one issue for Tesla is their lack of a dealer network.

Perhaps I am still wrong here, but if I lease a new car & it breaks I would be supplied with a loan car till my car is fixed.

If this is correct I don't see what the risk is with any leased car.

I can imagine that there may be a slight inconvenience, but if a leased car breaks the repair folk will have to come & collect it & bring you another car. Is this the worst possible scenario with a leased car, or are there worse things that could blight the life of the person who leases?

Regards,

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » August 16th, 2019, 12:26 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
redsturgeon
Leased cars by their very nature are new cars. Most new cars these days have at least a three year warranty from the manufacturer therefore they will take them back via their dealer network , fix them for free in that time period and IME provide a free loan car. I think one issue for Tesla is their lack of a dealer network.

Perhaps I am still wrong here, but if I lease a new car & it breaks I would be supplied with a loan car till my car is fixed.

If this is correct I don't see what the risk is with any leased car.

I can imagine that there may be a slight inconvenience, but if a leased car breaks the repair folk will have to come & collect it & bring you another car. Is this the worst possible scenario with a leased car, or are there worse things that could blight the life of the person who leases?

Regards,

You are right. If a leased (or company) car goes wrong and is under guarantee, you would contact the dealer, arrange to take the car in for repair and expect the dealer to lend you a courtesy car or perhaps take you into your office and collect you when the car is ready.

Normally one can find a dealer a few miles away so this is a matter of, say an hour's delay in the morning. But if the dealer is 50 miles away and you're driving in the rush hour this may be a whole morning wasted.

Looking at twitter accounts and consumer reviews, the problem is much worse if, when the car goes wrong, you can't contact Tesla because they won't reply. Taking real examples, you now have a Model 3 with, say, a serious crack in the large rear window which is a safety issue. Or a display which keeps going blank so you don't know what speed you are going. If you are driving on business, you want the issue dealt with immediately, just like a normal ICE dealer repair. If you phone a Mercedes dealer, you'd expect the service team to reply within a minute or two, or if they are busy, phone you back.

The problem seems to be that Tesla are not good at responding to service issues. Yes, once one has a courtesy car, one can relax to some extent as one is still mobile. However, it isn't the new car you have leased/bought and customers generally don't want substitutes.

Hope this helps to explain why customers are complaining.

regards

Howard

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » August 16th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Howard wrote:The problem seems to be that Tesla are not good at responding to service issues. Yes, once one has a courtesy car, one can relax to some extent as one is still mobile. However, it isn't the new car you have leased/bought and customers generally don't want substitutes.

It's noticeable that Tesla were driven to such extremes of penny pinching that months after ramping production they were closing all their showrooms, and firing 7% of the workforce. It's hard not to see a connection. They never even scaled their domestic support so that it could handle the increased numbers of lets say uneven quality cars they are producing, and now despite Americans apparently clamouring for more they've decided it makes more sense to deliver 130 cars a month in Spain, 500 cars a month in France, 300 cars a month in Switzerland, 200 Cars a month in Italy, 230 cars a month in Belgium...

Have a look at the list of Tesla service centres by country on their own website: https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/findus/list

Of the 10 in the UK 4 are in London, and there's another in Crawley! Scotland has one in Edinburgh, NI has none, Wales none...

There are 2 in Spain, which is not a small country, in Italy there is one in Milan and one in Padua which are both in the very north of a very long, thin country, there's one in Poland, one in Ireland, and 16 in Norway...

...and I'd advise against taking your Tesla on a road trip to Kazakhstan!

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 16th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Howard
Normally one can find a dealer a few miles away so this is a matter of, say an hour's delay in the morning. But if the dealer is 50 miles away and you're driving in the rush hour this may be a whole morning wasted.

Looking at twitter accounts and consumer reviews, the problem is much worse if, when the car goes wrong, you can't contact Tesla because they won't reply. Taking real examples, you now have a Model 3 with, say, a serious crack in the large rear window which is a safety issue. Or a display which keeps going blank so you don't know what speed you are going. If you are driving on business, you want the issue dealt with immediately, just like a normal ICE dealer repair. If you phone a Mercedes dealer, you'd expect the service team to reply within a minute or two, or if they are busy, phone you back.

The problem seems to be that Tesla are not good at responding to service issues. Yes, once one has a courtesy car, one can relax to some extent as one is still mobile. However, it isn't the new car you have leased/bought and customers generally don't want substitutes.

Good points which must effect the more junior managers and smaller company managers choices as they will often be dependent on mobility to execute professionally and have a home life as well. I would imagine these folk would want a S or X if they are going electric, the 3 being a bit down market.

For more senior folk in bigger companies, senior civil servants etc, it likely has limited effect as they would often be considered too valuable to be allowed to use business time driving themselves and would instead have a bunch of chauffeur on call as needed while they would be expected to get on with reading, making telephone calls etc while being driven about.

The Tesla model is to operate with out dealerships and instead have a network of authorised or Tesla owned workshops whose job would be to fix, if possible cars at an owners convenience where ever that may be, or otherwise bring a loaner and take the motor for repair. A broken Tesla will in general tell the Tesla network it has broken and inform them of the likely problems, such that Tesla will be aware of the problem before the owner calls in. It remains to be seen if this dealer free idea works in practice. For now it has teething troubles but in principle it gives a lower cost base to Tesla and if it can be made to work offers savings for them over having a dealer network.

For people who have been used to a dealer network, the Tesla model may be a step too far, especially has it goes through its teething years, but the history of the internet has been the decline and fall of many middle players as illustrated by the vanishing of second hand book stores from many of their long time locations and similarly in many other business.

The big question is: "Do we now need car Dealers?"

If I had to guess I imagine they will go the way of second hand book stores. One can argue it won't be so based on the success of Apple stores, but there are not that many of them and most folk are becoming more apt at sorting out Apple product problems by themselves and are becoming happier to buy things without first holding them.

Regards,

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » August 16th, 2019, 2:39 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:

Regards,

And Ody

You should read this report of the experience of Stefan Moeller who began this year with an ambitious target: to make his car-rental company Nextmove the biggest Tesla Inc. customer in Germany by adding 100 Model 3s to its fleet.

He has more than 300 electric vehicles in his fleet, so he knows what he is talking about.

He spent two years waiting for the car maker to replace a seat in a Model X that was delivered in July 2017 with a hole in it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... s-backyard

This isn't click bait. It is real customer experience.

regards

Howard

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 16th, 2019, 2:58 pm

And Ody

You should read this report of the experience of Stefan Moeller who began this year with an ambitious target: to make his car-rental company Nextmove the biggest Tesla Inc. customer in Germany by adding 100 Model 3s to its fleet.

He has more than 300 electric vehicles in his fleet, so he knows what he is talking about.

He spent two years waiting for the car maker to replace a seat in a Model X that was delivered in July 2017 with a hole in it.

regards

Howard

Yes, Tesla will have to do better.

Are these growing pains or fundamental issues that can not be corrected?

My guess is growing pains, but we shall see.

If owning a Tesla meant a lot to me I would not be put off, but owning a Tesla is not something that interests me so it is interesting to get other people's perspective.

Regards,

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » August 16th, 2019, 3:47 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
Good points which must effect the more junior managers and smaller company managers choices as they will often be dependent on mobility to execute professionally and have a home life as well. I would imagine these folk would want a S or X if they are going electric, the 3 being a bit down market.

For more senior folk in bigger companies, senior civil servants etc, it likely has limited effect as they would often be considered too valuable to be allowed to use business time driving themselves and would instead have a bunch of chauffeur on call as needed while they would be expected to get on with reading, making telephone calls etc while being driven about.

Regards,

Dear Ody

I don't know what planet you are on. "Junior managers and smaller company managers ......... I would imagine these folk would want a S or X if they are going electric, the 3 being a bit down market".

Your experience of junior managers defies belief! :o

They'd be lucky to have a company car, let alone one costing £40 - £60k. :lol:

I don't know about senior Civil Servants, but the average Director of a FTSE 100 company or major UK subsidiary of an American company is unlikely to be driven around by a Chauffeur. Yes, the Chairman or the CEO might be but I'd guess the typical director might have to slum it by driving him or herself to work in their S Class Mercedes or something more humble. (I accept that in my experience he or she may use a Chauffeur to get to the airport and at the other end, perhaps a Limo to get to their appointment).

For example, I know the Chairman of an organisation which manages nearly £10 billion of assets. He has a nice (ICE) car which he drives himself.

And if managers don't turn up to morning meetings with the weak excuse: "my Tesla let me down again and I had to take it to the service centre which is 70 miles away", then they won't last long in employment!

regards

Howard
Last edited by Howard on August 16th, 2019, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 16th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Owning a Tesla is not something that interests me either.

What interests me is owning a car that gets me from A to B in a relaxed and involving way.

A car that makes sense to own from a financial point of view.

A car that comes with everything well made and screwed together from day one.

A car that is reliable.

A car that has a customer service back up that is efficient if things do go wrong.

Whether that car has a Tesla badge or a VW badge is of little consequence to me.

John

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 16th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Howard wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

Regards,

Dear Ody

I don't know what planet you are on. "Junior managers and smaller company managers ......... I would imagine these folk would want a S or X if they are going electric, the 3 being a bit down market".

Your experience of junior managers defies belief! :o

They'd be lucky to have a company car, let alone one costing £40 - £60k. :lol:

I don't know about senior Civil Servants, but the average Director of a FTSE 100 company or major UK subsidiary of an American company is unlikely to be driven around by a Chauffeur. Yes, the Chairman or the CEO might be but I'd guess the typical director might have to slum it by driving him or herself to work in their S Class Mercedes or something more humble. (I accept that in my experience he or she may use a Chauffeur to get to the airport and at the other end, perhaps a Limo to get to their appointment).

For example, I know the Chairman of an organisation which manages nearly £10 billion of assets. He has a nice (ICE) car which he drives himself.

And if managers don't turn up to morning meetings with the weak excuse: "my Tesla let me down again and I had to take it to the service centre which is 70 miles away", then they won't last long in employment!

regards

Howard

You do surprise me. When I was in the University system there were driven cars provided for us when visiting civil service laboratories, the senior folk at these places would also get driven where they had to go.

Chauffer salaries are not high so in many cases it is a good business investment:

https://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Jo ... eur/Salary

Who buys all the expensive motors. Sure sports and music stars will take some but expensive cars are sold not just to these two groups and I presume most of these go to folk in business.

If you have a senior manager driving themselves about you have a lot of expensive time being used for something that someone else could do for a lot less money leaving the manager free to rest, prepare, telephone etc.

With more prosperity comes more efficient use of time and more ease and extravagant spending for the folk who make it to the top.

The average director base pay is currently nearly £100k per year:

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salaries/di ... _KO0,8.htm

One can argue about how such a salary is divided between money, options and benefit in kind, but to have someone earning this kind of salary driving themselves about is a bit wasteful when it could be done for about 1/4 of the cost and be far more convenient and productive for the manager.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 16th, 2019, 6:47 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Owning a Tesla is not something that interests me either.

What interests me is owning a car that gets me from A to B in a relaxed and involving way.

A car that makes sense to own from a financial point of view.

A car that comes with everything well made and screwed together from day one.

A car that is reliable.

A car that has a customer service back up that is efficient if things do go wrong.

Whether that car has a Tesla badge or a VW badge is of little consequence to me.

John

Me, it is all about miles per £ invested and being in a strong car with plenty of space for me, things and important stuff like my dogs.

I want something that I can maintain, that will keep on running and preferably be relatively economical.

My make of choice has been Volvo, then I got stupid and tried Mercedes, now back to Volvo.

Best ever deal I got was a Volvo 740 that cost me £129 and which then drove me around for years and years. It was a bit heavy on fuel, but otherwise was fabulous. My current V70 was a bit more but it is returning over 44 mpg and so I am happy with it.

But as I keep saying I am way out on the edge of the distribution and for investment purposes I want to know what other folk want and then to own the business that supply their desires.

Regards,

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 16th, 2019, 8:39 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:One can argue about how such a salary is divided between money, options and benefit in kind, but to have someone earning this kind of salary driving themselves about is a bit wasteful when it could be done for about 1/4 of the cost and be far more convenient and productive for the manager.

Regards,

Have you heard of taxis Ody?

When I worked for GSK if I wanted a driver to drive me somewhere then my secretary would get either a taxi or a chauffeur company to come a pick me up. There may have been one one two drivers permanently employed by the whole company to chauffeur main board directors around but that was it.

It used to make me laugh when I lived in York and caught the train down to Kings Cross, I'd be met by a fully liveried chauffeur with a Merc who would take me the final few miles to the London offices. At a cost twice that of the 200 mile first class train journey!

John

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 16th, 2019, 9:28 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:One can argue about how such a salary is divided between money, options and benefit in kind, but to have someone earning this kind of salary driving themselves about is a bit wasteful when it could be done for about 1/4 of the cost and be far more convenient and productive for the manager.

Regards,

Have you heard of taxis Ody?

When I worked for GSK if I wanted a driver to drive me somewhere then my secretary would get either a taxi or a chauffeur company to come a pick me up. There may have been one one two drivers permanently employed by the whole company to chauffeur main board directors around but that was it.

It used to make me laugh when I lived in York and caught the train down to Kings Cross, I'd be met by a fully liveried chauffeur with a Merc who would take me the final few miles to the London offices. At a cost twice that of the 200 mile first class train journey!

John

Nice anecdotes and as far as I know there are now more folk employed in this kind of business internally funded by companies, plus vastly more who do it via Uber and lyft etc.

As far as I can tell, unless we do get robot cars, the number of services providing transport to and from somewhere that are not public will continue to rise. Once I would never think of having a car to take me to and from the airport, but for the last several journeys that is exactly what I have done. Sure it costs me more than public transport, but I am not waiting about, I get to go just when I need to and I get picked up on my return. As I can specify the times I can catch flights that would require a lot of wait time if I was using public transport which generally are cheaper. I am about as cheap as one can get, but I do recognise the value in letting someone else drive me and I am sure that kind of thinking is very prevalent in business.

A neighbour who volunteered to do some tests for local government was picked up by uber or equivalent and brought back. He hadn't to wait around or spend a penny of his money. He wasn't employed, hasn't done anything with them since, but he got a service that once was only for very wealthy folk.

Regards,

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 16th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Howard wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

Regards,

And Ody

regards

Howard

Thanks for this Howard. That has probably puts the lid on any Tesla model 3 interest from me. Here is a self confessed Tesla fan who says the Model three is the best there is but he has cancelled his order for another 85 of them because he can't get any assurances from Tesla that more than 25% of the new cars on order will be defect free. Not good enough. Not even worth test driving the car IMHO. I believe it is a good car but I'd require more than a 25% chance of a defect free car thanks.

If things change then I may reconsider. Let's hope VW can do better. Is making an electric car really that difficult?

John

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » August 17th, 2019, 12:30 am

dspp wrote:1. My sales colleagues are very keen to sift out what they term "statements of insincere objections" early on in the sales process. I think you and I might term these people time-wasters. As far as I am concerned if you want a Tesla test drive for a bit of fun then find a friend with a Tesla. If you want to order a car then click to buy. For Tesla the problem at present is supply, not demand, so you have to decide whether you fish or cut bait. My colleagues who have bought S's had no problems getting a test drive, but they were sincere buyers.

2. One of my sales colleagues is still window shopping. They are well aware that waiting has fewer downsides than buying a new dino-juice car at this particular moment. So they will wait until they are sure. Meanwhile that's a sales that BMW/Merc/Volvo are not getting ......

regards, dspp

dspp

Worth looking at this video. Would you call this guy's problems with Tesla "statements of insincere objections".

It seems to me that he is speaking from the heart and at the end of his tether as a major supporter. let down pretty well every time he engaged with Tesla's sales operation. Watching this reminds me that those of us who have tried to road test a Tesla when we were in the market for a new car are fairly pleased we weren't foolish enough to pay for one without insisting on trying it first.

regards

Howard

Elektrek cover this as "Tesla loses major $5 million Model 3 order from rental company over service and quality issues".

https://electrek.co/2019/08/16/tesla-lo ... ty-issues/

but you have to watch the video on YouTube; It's subtitled from German

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boWp5Jq ... r_embedded

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 17th, 2019, 8:13 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT6XU0bwtPs

Very interesting video of a UK driver using (or trying to use) autopilot to drive through Sunderland.

Looking at this video I'd say you would have to be very brave or very stupid to rely on autopilot at all in the UK.

It seems that it is much more trouble than just driving normally and does some very strange and risky things. On one road the driver was having to intervene every few seconds to avoid crashing into parked cars.

I guess it would be better on motorways but I would not want to be the test pilot!

John

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 17th, 2019, 8:48 am

Good video.

Next move are defending themselves to show their punters the problems are not their fault.

Clear quality control & customer interactions are not good enough & Tesla need to raise their game.

There is nothing in this video that could not be fixed with a bit more effort from Tesla.

Musk needs to step in & raise the quality of what his employees are doing.

Trying to sell a second hand car as new is Dell Boy & the guy doing this needs reprimanding.

I expect Tesla will improve matters.

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”