Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Changing Domain Registrar and Owner

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
JonE
Lemon Slice

Changing Domain Registrar and Owner

Postby JonE » August 29th, 2019, 9:35 am

I've a few domains (com, co.uk & org.uk) registered via 1&1 (mostly) and others which I wish to hand over (at lowest aggregate cost) to someone who has domains registered solely via 123 and wants to keep it that way. They all simply redirect elsewhere and there is no email activity associated with the domains. One org.uk is due for renewal very soon. There is no massive urgency involved overall.

I'd assumed the simplest approach would be for me to create a 123 account for myself and transfer-in domains from elsewhere and then transfer ownership (within 123) between myself and the other party en bloc. Any gotchas involved with this sequence or is there a better way to achieve the objective without any risk of snookering myself?

It looks as if, to preserve validity period of recent renewals, I should allow the imminently-expiring org.uk to renew and wait a couple of months (>40 days) before changing registrar (and then owner) - or does this apply to .com but not to .uk domains?

Cheers!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Changing Domain Registrar and Owner

Postby mc2fool » August 29th, 2019, 12:01 pm

JonE wrote:I'd assumed the simplest approach would be for me to create a 123 account for myself and transfer-in domains from elsewhere and then transfer ownership (within 123) between myself and the other party en bloc. Any gotchas involved with this sequence or is there a better way to achieve the objective without any risk of snookering myself?

I've not transferred ownership of any domains but I have transferred the registration of some (from 123-Reg to Tsohost), and I'm not sure I see the need for you to create a 123 account.

To transfer a domain to another registrar you need to unlock the domain, make sure its admin email address is one you'll receive an email at (which might mean turning off privacy protection), and get the auth/epp code, all of which you must do at your current registrar.

You can then just give the auth/epp code to the new owner and let them transfer it into wherever they want. You'll get an email from the current registrar to confirm the transfer out, and you'll get one from the new registrar to confirm the transfer in which you should forward to the new owner.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Re: Changing Domain Registrar and Owner

Postby pochisoldi » August 30th, 2019, 10:55 am

mc2fool wrote:
JonE wrote:I'd assumed the simplest approach would be for me to create a 123 account for myself and transfer-in domains from elsewhere and then transfer ownership (within 123) between myself and the other party en bloc. Any gotchas involved with this sequence or is there a better way to achieve the objective without any risk of snookering myself?

I've not transferred ownership of any domains but I have transferred the registration of some (from 123-Reg to Tsohost), and I'm not sure I see the need for you to create a 123 account.

To transfer a domain to another registrar you need to unlock the domain, make sure its admin email address is one you'll receive an email at (which might mean turning off privacy protection), and get the auth/epp code, all of which you must do at your current registrar.

You can then just give the auth/epp code to the new owner and let them transfer it into wherever they want. You'll get an email from the current registrar to confirm the transfer out, and you'll get one from the new registrar to confirm the transfer in which you should forward to the new owner.

Moving a org.uk or co.uk domain is different.

Most domain transfers are "pull" (as described above)- in short, you pass information to the new registrar, and they "pull" the domain from the old registrar.

With org.uk and co.uk domains the transfer is a "push", and the process is reversed - you get information from your new registrar (their "IPS tag" which is specific to them as registrars). You contact your old registrar and tell them to change the "IPS Tag" on your domain. This "pushes" the domain to the new registrar.

The process is painless, providing your "old" registrar either has a good online system, or handles trouble tickets quickly. (e.g. the artists previously known as "Easily" = Bad, Tsohost=Good)

PochiSoldi

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”