Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Vanguard Pacific ex-Japan interest rather than dividend?

Index tracking funds and ETFs
arty

Vanguard Pacific ex-Japan interest rather than dividend?

Postby arty » September 3rd, 2019, 2:21 pm

I hold some "Vanguard Pacific ex-Japan Stock Index Fund" ISIN: IE00B523L081 with Iweb.
On my tax statement its income is listed as "Interest from Overseas Unit Trusts and other Investment Funds".

Any ideas why this would be classified as interest rather than as non-UK Equities dividend income like that from other Vanguard funds (VHYL, etc)?

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Vanguard Pacific ex-Japan interest rather than dividend?

Postby Alaric » September 3rd, 2019, 3:20 pm

arty wrote:I hold some "Vanguard Pacific ex-Japan Stock Index Fund" ISIN: IE00B523L081 with Iweb.
On my tax statement its income is listed as "Interest from Overseas Unit Trusts and other Investment Funds".

Any ideas why this would be classified as interest rather than as non-UK Equities dividend income like that from other Vanguard funds (VHYL, etc)?

Perhaps you should query it with your Broker, as there is every indication that it's an equity tracker.

https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discoun ... cumulation

The Fund seeks to provide long-term growth of capital by tracking the performance of the Morgan Stanley Capital International ("MSCI") Pacific ex-Japan Index, which is made up of common stocks of companies located in Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, and Singapore.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » September 4th, 2019, 9:19 am

I agree with the advice to query it with your broker. I've had a consolidated tax certificate (CTC) in the past where a classification has been wrong. In my case I never got round to querying it and by the time I got round to doing my tax return the broker had already spotted the mistake itself and re-issued a corrected CTC so they aren't infallible.

- Julian

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 4th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Julian wrote:I agree with the advice to query it with your broker. I've had a consolidated tax certificate (CTC) in the past where a classification has been wrong. In my case I never got round to querying it and by the time I got round to doing my tax return the broker had already spotted the mistake itself and re-issued a corrected CTC so they aren't infallible.

Clients of Interactive Investors recently received an amended CTC. In my case I had already submitted my tax return. But because the change was just having a number in the wrong box it didn't affect the tax due, so I ignored it.

As a general rule I just send my CTC to my accountant and my return is based on that, plus my declaration of capital gains and other income. I figure that I would not be blamed if my return was wrong because the CTC is wrong. Indeed there is an argument that your return might attract more scrutiny if it deviates from the CTC than if it agrees with it, even if you are right and the CTC is wrong. If HMRC want to take a look at your return I imagine that one of the first things they would do is compare your declarations to what your broker said you did.

In fact it is possible that your return may be automatically cross-checked against your CTC, or at least that would not be that difficult for them to do.

arty

Postby arty » September 6th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Thanks,

Contacting them was my first idea - if only I could get Iweb's webchat to work...

TedSwippet
Lemon Slice

Postby TedSwippet » September 6th, 2019, 1:29 pm

arty wrote:Contacting them was my first idea - if only I could get Iweb's webchat to work...

Adblocker? Pop-ups blocked? I use Chrome, and generally it's one of those that stops these sorts of things from working -- they can't tell the difference between a legitimate pop-up you expect and an annoying advert or survey. If you're using Chrome, maybe try an incognito window for this iWeb session.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 6th, 2019, 6:42 pm

If iWeb's chat is the same as Halifax, I can only get that to work in safari on the iPad. Won't work in chrome, edge, or opera.

They very unhelpfully tell me they only support internet explorer. Great! An obsolete browser.

Gryff

Return to “Passive Investing”