Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Can't get onto my yahoo emails

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Can't get onto my yahoo emails

Postby Bouleversee » September 5th, 2019, 11:44 am

Is anyone else having problems with accessing their Yahoo account this morning. It's my home page on my laptop but all I get is a message, after a long time, that they are having temporary difficulties. What can I do?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Can't get onto my yahoo emails

Postby mc2fool » September 5th, 2019, 11:46 am

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 5th, 2019, 12:00 pm

The mobile phone app is working, I just checked my account 5 minutes ago.

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » September 5th, 2019, 12:25 pm

My yahoo.co.uk email is also not working. "experiencing technical difficulties.

Tricia

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 5th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Many thanks. Very annoying but at least it's a comfort to know it's not my computer or anything I have stupidly done.

Bizarrely, my tablet is still showing my inbox and let me send an email to someone which I copied to myself but it hasn't been received by my tablet (or computer) and no emails have been rec'd . on it since about 6 a.m. Still can't get onto yahoo at all on my laptop. I don't have a smart phone so can't check that but it's interesting to note that Infrasonic's mobile is working though someone in the linked article said he couldn't get his emails on his iPhone.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 5th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Is anyone else having problems with accessing their Yahoo account this morning.

Yes.

DownDetector wrote: 5 September: Problems at Yahoo Mail
Yahoo Mail is having issues since 7:14 AM BST.
https://downdetector.co.uk/status/yahoo-mail

Their Live Outage Map shows that the UK and much of Europe is down.

What can I do?

Wait patiently for it to come back :(

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » September 5th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Another good justification for my decision a while back to 'gmailify' my Yahoo! account and use Gmail as my email client of choice.

I've had no issues receiving my Yahoo! emails in Gmail today.

Details here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6304825? if you want to consider this option.

Watis

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 5th, 2019, 12:39 pm

6Tricia wrote:My yahoo.co.uk email is also not working. "experiencing technical difficulties.

Yes.

Yahoo Mail wrote:We are experiencing some technical difficulties
Temporary error: 15
Learn more

While us free users get little info, Yahoo are more forthcoming for their business customers.

Yahoo Small Business wrote:Unable to access Yahoo Small Business sites
Product: Small Business General
Open Since: September 05, 2019 11:30 AM

Yahoo is currently experiencing network instability. Yahoo technical staff are working on the issue.
https://help.smallbusiness.yahoo.net/s/system-status

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 5th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Watis wrote:Another good justification for my decision a while back to 'gmailify' my Yahoo! account and use Gmail as my email client of choice.

Details here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6304825? if you want to consider this option.

Watis

That's extraordinary. How do they do that without hacking one's other accounts? Perhaps Gmail have hacked the whole lot of the yahoo accounts! :shock: I presume one has to open a gmail acct. first.

Bizarrely, I rec'd. a message on my tablet asking me to verify my recovery email but needless to say I didn't receive the necessary code to do so.

Perhaps the first person to get onto their emails could post on here.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 5th, 2019, 1:05 pm

And now Yahoo Help is down. I don't know whether to :lol: or :cry:

Whitelabel Error Page
This application has no explicit mapping for /error, so you are seeing this as a fallback.
Thu Sep 05 12:01:46 UTC 2019
There was an unexpected error (type=Bad Request, status=400).
No message available
https://help.yahoo.com/

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » September 5th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
Watis wrote:Another good justification for my decision a while back to 'gmailify' my Yahoo! account and use Gmail as my email client of choice.

Watis

That's extraordinary. How do they do that without hacking one's other accounts? Perhaps Gmail have hacked the whole lot of the yahoo accounts! :shock: I presume one has to open a gmail acct. first.

Bizarrely, I rec'd. a message on my tablet asking me to verify my recovery email but needless to say I didn't receive the necessary code to do so.

That's a good question, Bouleversee!

It's not explained in the link I shared, but, as part of the gmailification process, you give Google permission to access your Yahoo! email account and import the emails into Gmail*. To be clear, there will be a copy of each email in both email systems.

You do need a Gmail account but you don't have to change email accounts - you can compose and send emails in Gmail as if they have been sent from your Yahoo! account.

The reason it's still working this morning is that Gmail access my Yahoo! emails directly through an API (Application Programming Interface) - a bit of software that accesses the store of emails directly and not through Yahoo! email's web page, which is likely to be the part of the system that is affected by today's problems.

Watis

* It's step 7: "Follow the steps on the screen . . ."
Last edited by Watis on September 5th, 2019, 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

digitaria
Lemon Pip

Postby digitaria » September 5th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Seems to be working for me now.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 5th, 2019, 1:34 pm

digitaria wrote:Seems to be working for me now.

Confirmed. I can sign in too now.

Edit: There don't seem to be any new emails received today. I would expect to have had at least a dozen RNS alerts from Investegate by now...

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 5th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Breelander wrote:Edit: There don't seem to be any new emails received today. I would expect to have had at least a dozen RNS alerts from Investegate by now...

Further to that:

I also have a BT Yahoo email address, it's set up to forward emails to my plain-vanilla Yahoo Mail. I can send a new email to my BT account from Yahoo, but I have not yet received the forwarded email back again. I cannot sign in to my BT Yahoo Mail either.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 5th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Watis wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:

Watis

That's a good question, Bouleversee!

It's not explained in the link I shared, but, as part of the gmailification process, you give Google permission to access your Yahoo! email account and import the emails into Gmail*. To be clear, there will be a copy of each email in both email systems.

You do need a Gmail account but you don't have to change email accounts - you can compose and send emails in Gmail as if they have been sent from your Yahoo! account.

The reason it's still working this morning is that Gmail access my Yahoo! emails directly through an API (Application Programming Interface) - a bit of software that accesses the store of emails directly and not through Yahoo! email's web page, which is likely to be the part of the system that is affected by today's problems.

Watis

* It's step 7: "Follow the steps on the screen . . ."

I am surprised yahoo would agree to that access.

I can now get on to my inbox but there is nothing in it, including the message I sent myself from my tablet, which is not shown as sent either. In other words, no traffic in either direction since around 6 a.m. So what has happened to all those messages other people will have certainly sent me? Will they ever be recovered or are they lost and gone forever?

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 5th, 2019, 2:03 pm

There are now 3 emails in my inbox but the earliest is timed at some time after 1 pm; nothing from this morning.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 5th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Bouleversee wrote:So what has happened to all those messages other people will have certainly sent me? Will they ever be recovered or are they lost and gone forever?

Emails are forwarded around the internet from one email server to another. If the destination server is temporarily unavailable and cannot accept emails then the sending server will continue to retry delivering it. After (if I recall correctly) trying for three days the email will be returned to sender as undeliverable.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 5th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Breelander wrote:...If the destination server is temporarily unavailable and cannot accept emails then the sending server will continue to retry delivering it...

On the other hand, with all the problems this morning Yahoo may have still been accepting incoming emails, only to loose them in a 'black hole'. :(

So far I've received two new RNS alerts, but both were sent after Yahoo were back online.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 5th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Breelander wrote: I also have a BT Yahoo email address, it's set up to forward emails to my plain-vanilla Yahoo Mail. I can send a new email to my BT account from Yahoo, but I have not yet received the forwarded email back again. I cannot sign in to my BT Yahoo Mail either.

I sent two test email in the end as nothing seemed to be happening.

I can now sign in to BT Yahoo Mail. The second test arrived some half hour after sending. It was automatically forwarded successfully, but didn't arrive back in my Yahoo Mail until about an hour after that. There is no sign of the first test, it seems to have been lost in a 'black hole'. I suspect a lot of other mail may have been 'lost' during this outage. :(

Edit: some functions are yet to return. I can 'View raw message' in the BT Yahoo Mail account (so I could see the servers that handled this email, and at what time). 'View raw message' doesn't work yet in plain-vanilla Yahoo Mail.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 5th, 2019, 4:23 pm

I just emailed myself again from my laptop and this time it arrived immediately.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”