Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Advice on de-registering for self-assessment

Practical Issues
Gan020
Lemon Slice

Advice on de-registering for self-assessment

Postby Gan020 » September 9th, 2019, 2:16 pm

My father who is 80 has been paying £450 a year to a firm of accountants to do his self-assessment tax return for around 20-30 years. This year he has asked if I could do it for him.

I've gathered all the information and there's nothing unusual. His total income is between £50k and £100k, interest is around £1k and dividends are less than £2k. His capital gains is well below the limit, disposals well below the allowance and he has no other source of income.

So, according to the HMRC test he does not have to do a self-assessment return and had he not being doing one HMRC would just adjust his pension payments at source so the correct tax is being deducted.

I have calculated HMRC owe him around £55 for 2018-19. I have no idea whether HMRC have requested he do self-assessment this year and my father is unlikely to give me any definitive answer as he is always a big vague on this type of matter. There would also be no point asking him to phone HMRC as it will cause him stress and he likley will just put it off indefinitely.

I would be grateful for advice on how to proceed. At present I am minded to write a letter to HMRC (in his name which he would sign) and ask them to de-register him from self-assessment, enclose a calculation showing the £55 owed and ask them if that is sufficient. Going forward I am assuming they would then adjust his tax at source on his pensions and produce a P800 if required.

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Re: Advice on de-registering for self-assessment

Postby Loup321 » September 10th, 2019, 11:13 am

I would think that income between £50k and £100k is a bit high and a bit vague, so I would assume that self-assessment is probably necessary. Being that high and vague, paying £450 to a firm of accountants to sort it all out seems like a fairly good deal to me! But that's me personally, and my income is a lot lower and more constant.

You could ring HMRC and ask them. Don't mention names and ask them if in this situation they think self assessment is required. If it's not requred how do they suggest the person gets out of it. Then you would know what HMRC believe your father's course of action should be.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » September 10th, 2019, 11:39 am

Loup321 wrote:I would think that income between £50k and £100k is a bit high and a bit vague, so I would assume that self-assessment is probably necessary.

I have this idea that anyone on higher rate tax is also on Self Assessment, but perhaps HMRC can be convinced that PAYE will suffice if the thresholds for dividends and interest aren't likely to be exceeded and there aren't capital gains or losses to be declared.

Parky
Lemon Slice

Postby Parky » September 10th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Although it's from 2015, this web forum page seems to cover your query.
https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/any-ans ... assessment

EmptyGlass

Postby EmptyGlass » September 10th, 2019, 6:36 pm

If your dad has a government gateway account you/he could try the link :
https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/forms/fo ... sessed/new

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”