Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hattrick Season 72

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Re: Hattrick Season 72

Postby Eastheath » September 10th, 2019, 7:19 am

I'm losing the plot at the moment. Was in 5th, and away to 7th, thought I had a decent chance of nicking this one, but fell to a 3-0 defeat. They are now in 5th and we are down to 6th.
5th to 7th are all on 10 pts and the relative safety of 4th position is now 5 pts away. Our last five games were to the bottom teams and we only won one of them, which means our last four games are against the top four and that does not bode well. Winning those last two games was an imperative, would have been the safety valve we needed. But losing those last two games has probably wrecked the season

Next we are home to 4th, dare I say its a six pointer. Oh, just said it.

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » September 16th, 2019, 12:11 pm

Well, that was a tough weekend for England.

On Friday, England (2pts behind) Denmark went to Denmark. Set up was great, we had 52% of the ball at kick off and edged the attack vs defence battle, with their weakest attack sector being in the middle and ours on the right. Unfortunately the ME had other ideas gave them the majority of first half chances and then in the second half palmed us off with 2 chances in our weaker sector, and we lost 4-2, despite being the favourites.

In England, we were in 2nd away to 3rd. Set up was great, we had 52% of the ball at kick off with better attack % then they had. Unfortunately the ME had other ideas, and despite starting with 49% central attack they converted 4/4 chances down the middle to win 4-3 having had 6 chances to 5. We remain 2nd on +14GD to 3rd, but 8pts adrift of the leaders who have won 11/11. They visit Dan Field next.

In Oceania, I'd upgraded with a 26y/o Oceanic quick FTW for £5.3m on the 1st September. 15Sc 13Wg 13Ps, to boost my deafault 5-3-2CA set up (still training Wb in wing skill). His first game the following week saw us draw away to a team outside the top 4 (6th) , which has effectively put an end to our title aspirations. This week the top 4 all were at home to the bottom 4, and all 4 home sides scored 4 goals with the vistors scoring between 0 & 2. Ours was a 0, and my new signing opened the scoring on 9 minutes.

The table now has 4th on 22pts with only bottom 4 teams to play, so should finish on 31.
We are 3rd on 23pts with an away game to 2nd in week 13, and a home game to the leaders in week 14. Could finish on anything between 26-32pts.
2nd are on 23pts as well with +11GD and should finish on 29-32pts (depending on whether they win their game against us).
1st are on 26pts with +8GD over 2nd, so even if they lose to me in week 13 they should finish on 32pts with a superior GD.

In South Africa we won 6-0, remain 2nd, and are 5 points off 1st and 6pts clear of 3rd. We're away to 1st next (who only have bots to play in their other 2 games) and home to 3rd in week 14. We are also +12GD above 3rd so even if we lost both, we could still hold onto 2nd. Our SP taker took a +4 yesterday. I am tracking a possible African player replacement, but may be better served saving up for when I switch away from GK to SP and then Defender training.

Good luck to all with the remaining fixtures.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » September 16th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Div IV
Playing 7th away from home next week. I should be OK even on a PIC.....

With team confidence on the floor, I decided to go Normal. In hindsight it was overkill, and we thrashed them 6-0. Confidence is up to Wonderful :D

3 games to play. I'm in 5th, 5 points off 4th, and 10 points off 7th. So auto-relegation not a concern.
I play 6th, 1st and 8th in that order. I can't beat 1st, but should be OK on the other games.
Which means I can get a maximum of 6 points - and therefore need 5th to lose all of their remaining games in order to snatch 4th spot.
They play 1st, 3rd and 2nd - and could/ should lose all 3 games.
Now I'm torn - I could play the remaining fixtures as experience training and just accept the qualifier match, or go for 4th spot. Financially I don't think there will be that much between the prize money in 4th vs gate receipt in the qualifier.

Any thoughts ?

Div VI
Bot bashing this week.
I'm in 5th place on 16 points. Both 3rd & 4th have 18 points. I play 4th, 2nd & 3rd.
I need to go for it and try and win against 4th and 3rd to try and get into the prize money - there's no qualification matches down at the bottom.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » September 17th, 2019, 8:53 am

Donut102 wrote:Now I'm torn - I could play the remaining fixtures as experience training and just accept the qualifier match, or go for 4th spot. Financially I don't think there will be that much between the prize money in 4th vs gate receipt in the qualifier.

Any thoughts ?

5th: You will get a slice more experience in the qualifier though, and start next season with a home game.

This week we were away to 5th, I wasn't brave enough to PIC, and pretty pointless now with my coach's leadership. Lined up in a fairly normal 2-5-3 and went for it. 0-2 at half time, had the lion's share of possession, which only got better when one of their midfielders got crocked on 59 minutes, which swung it even more my way, 1-5 final score.

The wheels have fallen off for 2nd, this week they were at home to seventh, it was basically two massive defences, and matching midfields, and no attack. No seriously, the highest attack percentage was 9%. Somehow though, this wasn't goalless, and they took their second loss in a row, 0-2.

The league has now heavily swung my way, I'm now seven points clear, with three games left that's a pretty tasty lead. We're now four places above the promotion line. It'd be nice, though essentially meaningless, to win all three remaining games and be top of the IV.15 historical standings.

Next week, at home to third place. They're more attack minded, like me, so it should be a goal-fest. Second are away to 8th who only have two points so far and are 11 points behind 7th, surely they must win that.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » September 23rd, 2019, 9:17 am

UncleIan wrote:Next week, at home to third place. They're more attack minded, like me, so it should be a goal-fest. Second are away to 8th who only have two points so far and are 11 points behind 7th, surely they must win that.

Third place, clearly afeared of my awesome attack ratings(!) went from their usual 2-5-3 which sometimes had similar ratings to mine, to a 4-3-3 CA strategy. This gave me 89% possession chances on a PIC, while my attack was still ahead of their defence. They suffered from confusion, and 38' in their goalie got crocked. We were already 2-0 up at that point. Second half we banged in another 3, for a handsome 5-0 win, on a PIC.

I'm so confused, second place were away to 8th, and it seems they had just had a lot of luck early on in the season, and it's run out. Or they've done something really bad to offend the hattrick gods. Having a more detailed look, they rely on a monster defence and CA. This week they went down 1-0, their third loss in a row. On the ratings it seems like a fair result, meaning lots of their other matches must not have been. Though I guess 7 wins and 5 losses now isn't exactly stellar form.

With me beating third, and second losing, I'm now suddenly from 7 points clear with three matches, we're 10 points clear with two matches, and WE ARE CHAMPIONS! Wooo! Also our two scorer is now two goals clear. Also we're now no longer on the promotion page being more than four places above the auto-promotion line. We'll have to keep playing and stay above that line if we want the chance to get humiliated in III again. :)

I can look down the table and see it's got a bit tasty at the other end of the table, though 8th is down whatever, 4th-7th are separated by just two points, in fact 7th are at home to 4th, so they really need to win that, they've had 5 (five) draws this season, not sure I've ever noticed anyone have so many before.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » September 23rd, 2019, 8:30 pm

When it goes wrong, it really goes wrong....
The last two weeks have continued the dreadful slide down the table. Having lost two winnable games in succession, I then went and lost again at home 0-2, which was another winnable game in my eyes, and then in the latest game went down 4-2 away to a team that I'd beaten once before. Four defeats in a row, ouch.

Which leaves me in 7th and in the relegation zone on 10 pts, 3 pts behind 6th and now unable to do any better than a qualifier spot. The next problem is that, having played the 'easy' games, I now face the league leader away in the next game (fat chance there) then the final game at home to 4th, against whom I do not have a good record. So the yo yo swings again and series V beckons once more. Pants.

And just to add a kick up the backside, we are in debt and losing money fortnightly, so one of my strikers is selling for £3m or so, which should give us some breathing space.

Maybe I will pay more attention next season.....!

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » September 27th, 2019, 1:57 pm

5th: You will get a slice more experience in the qualifier though, and start next season with a home game.

Good advice - which I ignored. I hedged my bets - full first team, albeit to maximise training, but conditional subs to bring on less experienced players when in the lead by more than 2.
Of course, my opponent surprised me by posting much stronger midfield ratings than I expected, and we lost 2-0.
So a missed experience training opportunity - really should have just taken your advice.

This week I have a long shot team who has already won the league, and is clear for auto-promotion. He'll probably steam roller me.

WE ARE CHAMPIONS! Wooo!

Congratulations!

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » September 30th, 2019, 9:24 am

Week 13, unlucky for some, namely, my opponent. ;)

I think they were 6th before the game, we were away. I studied their recent games, and they have monster wing attacks and often AOW, and I figured as I often go 2-5-3, if they were paying attention they'd definitely do that, and if they weren't paying attention, they would probably be doing that by default. I set up with 3-5-2 in my planning, but they were still getting 70% on the side attack ratings. Though I had the lion's share of possession. I figured I needed to improve my defence, and my attack would just have to make the best of it, switched to a 4-5-1 with my two CBs set TW. The game started, and they were indeed AOW, which they are mythical at. Nice when your preparation pays off. First half, we missed a couple of chances, and they missed one, then we banged a penalty in. 0-1 halftime. Second half we tucked away another three, while they got nothing, for a 0-4 final score. Chances were 3-7. Job done.

Bad news for my top scorer, as he was rested for a better player, and some big scores in other games means he's now tied on 9 goals with two others. Hope he's got his scoring boots on next weekend.

We're still above the auto-promotion line, only two points ahead though, so need a result next weekend if we want to guarantee III action next season. A draw would probably do, but we don't want to end the season on a draw!

Meanwhile in the rest of the league this weekend's results mean that 4th to 7th are separated by 1 point. 4th on 17 and the other three on 16. Interestingly, we're paired up down the table for the final weekend, me at home to 2nd, 3rd v 4th, 6th v 5th, and 8th v 7th.

My final game against 2nd, they have a monster defence and not much more, they'll probably CA, and even if I 2-5-3 my attack is only at 10-14-12% on the predictor. That said it reckons I'll have 88% possession chances on a PIN and 91% on a MOTS. Any reason I shouldn't MOTS? I can't think of one, apart from the nagging "what if you end up with a qualifier?" but that's loser talk. ;)

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » September 30th, 2019, 4:24 pm

That said it reckons I'll have 88% possession chances on a PIN and 91% on a MOTS. Any reason I shouldn't MOTS?

Yes - a MOTS will give you an extra 0.3 of a chance (91%-88% x 10 normal chances). At say 14% chance of converting = 0.042 goals. That seems really small odds to me (and I've ignored their CA chances), versus keeping some Team Spirit for a possible qualifier.
You've got the league sewn up - I'd go PIC in your shoes.

Last week for me was one to forget:

Div IV

Lost 3-0 to the Long Shot team as expected. Guaranteed 5th place now irrespective of results in the final week - so experience training next week.

Div VI

In 4th place, lost 5-0 to the league leaders.
Next week playing 3rd at home - if I beat him 7-0 I can switch positions and grab 3rd place and an extra £84k of prize money.
It might happen, and I have no downside from a MOTS....

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » September 30th, 2019, 9:04 pm

We are on a roll.......going the wrong way unfortunately!

A 4-2 away defeat to the league champions leaves me in 7th, with 10 pts and a -9GD. The team in 6th very fortunately also lost at home 1-2, and they remain on 13 pts with a -6 GD. So, our only chance for survival (at least to secure a qualifier) requires us to win the last game and for 6th to lose, by sufficient goals in aggregate to cause us to change places.

We are at home to 4th, who are secure for another season. Thats the good news, maybe they wont be trying.
Except our record against them is W0 D1 L6. We play high scoring games, including 4-3, 4-4, 5-4, 5-1, 5-0, 4-1 and 4-0.
So, this time I want to get the goals please with no reply for a change!
The team in 6th is away to 3rd, who could finish 2nd with a win, so hopefully they remain incentivised.

Yes its a long shot/hope/wish, but the seasons stays alive for a little longer.....

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » October 7th, 2019, 9:30 am

Donut102 wrote:You've got the league sewn up - I'd go PIC in your shoes.

I split the difference and PIN'd.

If this game was predictable, it'd be boring. Actually, it worked out ok, my opponent CA'd as expected, which they are divine+1 at, so you would wouldn't you? 84% possession chances to me, and and both our defences at 80-90% v respective attacks. So I should get the lion's share of chances, but their number will be boosted by some CA chances. How about 6-7 to them? In chances that is. Hmm. Still, we rebuffed their three CAs, and managed to break down the wall once, and so it ended 1-0 to the Albumen. Phew!

Se we end the season on 37 points, lost the first game of the season, and a draw in week 8 were the only blots on the copybook. The distant 2nd finished on 24 points, we were neck and neck for ages, but then their wheels fell off in week 10, winning just once in the last five games.
If it had been a draw, on 35 points I'd have still auto-promoted. A loss would have meant a qualifier. So that's me off to III next season. Gulp!

Also finishing off with a win means I'm also top of the historic standings for IV.15, in three seasons less than 2nd place spent here. Nice.

The other end of the table was much more exciting, before this week's matches 4th to 7th were separated by 1 point. 4th on 17 and the other three on 16. 3rd were only on 19 points, and got pasted by 4th, other results meant they dropped from 3rd to 6th, while 7th went down on 16 points. 4-5-6th separated on goal diff.

Now to wait and see where I end up.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » October 7th, 2019, 11:23 am

So that's me off to III next season

Congratulations!

Div IV

Guaranteed 5th place now irrespective of results in the final week - so experience training next week.

Still managed a 1-1 draw on a PIC with the youngsters.
The Qualification match looks winnable, albeit I'm not willing to lose defending training slots which makes it a little trickier....

Div VI

In 4th place, lost 5-0 to the league leaders.
Next week playing 3rd at home - if I beat him 7-0 I can switch positions and grab 3rd place and an extra £84k of prize money.
It might happen, and I have no downside from a MOTS....

Won 4-0, so close but no cigar.
Busy looking for a league of Bots to while away next season, rather than these pesky human managers who try and score goals against my boys.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » October 7th, 2019, 11:35 am

We are at home to 4th....our record against them is W0 D1 L6. We play high scoring games, including 4-3, 4-4, 5-4, 5-1, 5-0, 4-1 and 4-0.
So, this time I want to get the goals please with no reply for a change!
The team in 6th is away to 3rd, who could finish 2nd with a win, so hopefully they remain incentivised.

So we, in 7th, needed to win by two goals in a high scoring game, at home to someone we hadn't beaten in 7 games, and the team in 6th had to lose by at least a goal, to someone they could beat. Yes it was a long shot. I just had to MOTS, to make sure we had a chance.

I had the game running in the background on my laptop, that's how exciting Sunday gets in my household!

It started well - we went 3-1 up mid way through the first half, and they went 1-0 down. So far so good.
Then it went wrong. We were pegged to 3-3 and they went ahead 1-2.
And then, instead of dumping on us, the gods shined on us.
We ran out 6-4 winners, continuing the theme of high scoring games against our oppo (average of 6.75 goals per game - 8 games in all)
The team in 6th lost 3-2.
Consequently we both finished on 13 pts, and with the same goal difference (-7) but we had scored more goals (29 to 23) so we finished 6th and got a qualifier, and they got relegated.

So, we live to fight another day. Unfortunately.....our qualifier is against a team that has a lot going for it. Some careful thought required, will have to manage furious TS, and find ways to counter a large midfield. Still, rather this than the alternative.

Well done to our Foolish promotees and good luck to anyone else facing a quali.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » October 7th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Consequently we both finished on 13 pts, and with the same goal difference (-7) but we had scored more goals (29 to 23) so we finished 6th and got a qualifier, and they got relegated.

So, we live to fight another day. Unfortunately.....our qualifier is against a team that has a lot going for it. Some careful thought required, will have to manage furious TS, and find ways to counter a large midfield.

Congratulations! Very well played to get the qualifier - no easy feat.
How good are you at counter attacking?

I had the game running in the background on my laptop

I never get that luxury at home - too much going on with the kids, Sunday night tea, getting ready for work etc. And they all take the mickey about my weird fantasy football team.
The answer I have found is a smart watch linked to the app on the phone to notify me of goals scored - nice and discreet.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » October 7th, 2019, 11:58 pm

How good are you at counter attacking?

We will find out! - In all seriousness, sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't. Our CA ratings are OK but not stellar.

The answer I have found is a smart watch linked to the app on the phone to notify me of goals scored - nice and discreet.

Like it! Family must wonder sometimes why you're always looking at your watch!

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » October 8th, 2019, 8:45 am

Like it! Family must wonder sometimes why you're always looking at your watch!

Only youngest daughter has figured it out so far. She asks "What's the score?" instead of "What's the time?".

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » October 15th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Meh

Turns out I wasn't very good at counter attacking. They won the qualifier 0-2, with a massive midfield and no attack to speak of, but they do very well with special events and seem to score easily. So we drop to series V again. I will let the dissappointment fade and then look at getting back up the table.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”