Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Learning Investment Apps

Investment discussion for beginners. Why you should invest your money, get help getting started
feder1
Lemon Slice

Learning Investment Apps

Postby feder1 » September 21st, 2019, 8:52 am

The recent Moneybox radio 4 program mentioned the above and it sounded interesting.

They said that investment in stocks was almost unknown to most people and especially women seemed very unwary about it all. This is incredibly sad despite attempts by governments over several decades. Millions of people are condemning themselves to relative poverty rather than growing wealth as inflation marches on relentlessly.

A quick look came up with Nutmeg, Moneybox, Crowdcube, for example.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Learning Investment Apps

Postby BobbyD » September 24th, 2019, 4:23 pm

I find the idea of letting people imagine they have 'learned investment' incredibly frightening. It implies that investment is a finite, stable topic which given a little time and a little application can be conquered like a maths GCSE. Financial planning, wealth management, or Things not to do with your money would I think be less dangerous.

...and if you want shocking stats which bring in to question people's ability to manage their money, heard on a podcast yesterday (FT money I believe) 50% of UK adults can't calculate a 5% pay increase on a £9 an hour pay rate EVEN WITH A CALCULATOR.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Learning Investment Apps

Postby Dod101 » September 24th, 2019, 4:56 pm

feder1 wrote:.

They said that investment in stocks was almost unknown to most people and especially women seemed very unwary about it all.

I cannot help myself but I guess that 'women seemed very unaware about it all.' or 'Women were very wary about it all' was what was meant, but I take the point. Actually the UKSA is behind a financial education site called www.honestmoneynow.co.uk. It is good I think as at least a primer for people who know nothing. The trouble is people cannot be forced to look at this sort of site.

Dod

Return to “How Do I Invest”