Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Who brews Lucky Saint 0.5% Unflitered lager?

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Who brews Lucky Saint 0.5% Unflitered lager?

Postby DiamondEcho » September 23rd, 2019, 6:15 pm

I picked up some beers this afternoon, all new to me. I'm trying to determine who brews this beer, but the lable and their website are coy (FWIW/IME this is usually not a very positive sign), I suspect it's contract brewed, and that contract might be short since Google brings up mention that the producer tried three, or 4?, different breweries before settling on the current one.

The beer in question per the producers website is here: https://luckysaint.co/products/0-5-unfiltered-lager
The lable states it's brewed in Germany; the beer producer in London based.

I went through their^ corporate website and 2 pages of Google-hits, but couldn't answer the question.

Perhaps someone is more expert at this than me? Thx!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Who brews Lucky Saint 0.5% Unflitered lager?

Postby redsturgeon » September 24th, 2019, 1:46 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:I picked up some beers this afternoon, all new to me. I'm trying to determine who brews this beer, but the lable and their website are coy (FWIW/IME this is usually not a very positive sign), I suspect it's contract brewed, and that contract might be short since Google brings up mention that the producer tried three, or 4?, different breweries before settling on the current one.

The beer in question per the producers website is here: https://luckysaint.co/products/0-5-unfiltered-lager
The lable states it's brewed in Germany; the beer producer in London based.

I went through their^ corporate website and 2 pages of Google-hits, but couldn't answer the question.

Perhaps someone is more expert at this than me? Thx!

It seems the brewery is a bit of a secret.

Does it taste good?

https://soberito.com/tasted-lucky-saint-lager/

When Luke shared his idea with the industry, he was told several times that it was impossible to make a really nice alcohol-free beer. He would, according to them, be better off making a nice soft drink.

Luke, however, did not get discouraged. He immersed himself in brewing processes and started to experiment. Because most experiments failed, but he still believed in his intentions, he made some drastic decisions. Luke quit his job, stopped drinking alcohol and left for Germany. There he drank countless non-alcoholic beers and visited numerous brewers. Most brewers did not really feel much for his project until he finally found someone who shared his vision.

The brewer and Luke took plenty of time to find the right ingredients, developed their own yeast and set up a unique brewing process. Without compromise. After a year they succeeded in developing a beer that they were both happy with, the Lucky Saint Lager was born.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 24th, 2019, 2:44 pm

I trawled via Google, and checked on various beer-rating wbsites where it has been listed, but could find no mention of who brews it. So I e-mailed Lucky Saint and asked them. They advised that it's contract-brewed.

I haven't tried it yet so we'll see. But IME 'hiding' such information from customers isn't usually a positive; it's hard for me to see a reason for it that is in the customer's interests. For example, LIDL's stock a range of beers under the 'Hatherwood' brand, but that's not a brewery, it lists itself as a 'beer company'. I did some digging around and it transpires that a few of them are brewed by well known breweries, Wychwood (Old Speckled hen etc), Martons and Shepherd Neame amongst them. Having consumed those beers I can understand why a brewery of repute might not wish to be publicly associated with the product. - Despite ^, I am going to drink it with an open mind, it would be really nice to find a low/no alcohol beer that doesn't come with a glaring void in it's taste.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 24th, 2019, 2:55 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:The beer in question per the producers website is here: https://luckysaint.co/products/0-5-unfiltered-lager

At just over £6.30 per litre, I'm not surprised they called it "Lucky" something-or-other. Note that there would be no alcohol duty to pay, so the price really does seem to suggest it's a proper premium product.

Question is, is it? Would you drink it thinking "that's worth at least 4x what I'd pay for a Becks Blue or a Bud AF"?

I'm interested, as I would like to find a decent <=0.5% alcohol beer!

VRD

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » September 24th, 2019, 6:05 pm

vrdiver wrote:
DiamondEcho wrote:

VRD

The best one I've come across so far is Ghost Ship 0.5%, £1 for 500ml
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /301885125

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 25th, 2019, 12:34 pm

PhaseThree wrote:
vrdiver wrote:
DiamondEcho wrote:

VRD

The best one I've come across so far is Ghost Ship 0.5%, £1 for 500ml
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /301885125

My favourite so far is Brewdog Nanny State.

John

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » January 5th, 2020, 4:37 pm

I've been trying out a few easily found low/non-alcoholic beers this past week.

Best I've found are (ranked):

1. Big Drop Pale Ale (Morrisons)
2. Brewdog Nanny State (Morrisons)
3. Adnam's Ghost Ship AF (Tesco)
4. Brooklyn Special Effects (Tesco)

1 & 2 are excellent, equally nice, but I prefer the less-bitter balance of the Big Drop
3 also very good
4 "OK", but a bit too sweet for me, so couldn't manage more than one bottle.

Out of those I've drunk, the top-3 are ones I'd readily buy again. The Brooklyn isn't bad, and I'd drink it, but probably won't be rushing to repurchase it. The various unnamed others I tried I won't be going anywhere near again.

This blog is very informative and his reviews chime closely with my own experience:

https://steadydrinker.com/articles/best ... lic-beers/

I might well order a bunch of his very highest rated ales/IPAs online as a one-off to see if there's much gap to my top-3 above, although I'm a bit too stringy to be regularly spending ~£2+ on 330ml bottles of pop.

Return to “Drink”