Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Haoma,Gilgongo,Raasu,Wasron,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

HYP Adjustment

Practical discussions about equity High-Yield Portfolios (HYP) for income
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1581 times

HYP Adjustment

#255791

Postby idpickering » October 4th, 2019, 9:09 am

Further to my 'My HYP as of now thread' here; viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19130 , there were comments that I had to many insurers, of whatever ilk, and to few REITs. Ten minutes ago I dropped Direct Line, and bought Land Securities with the proceeds. I had Admiral Group on board too, so to have Direct LIne as well might've been folly on my part.

Admiral Group
AstraZeneca
BAE Systems
BHP Group
BP.
BT Group
British American Tobacco
British Land
Diageo
GlaxoSmithKline
HSBC
IG Group
Imperial Brands
Land Securities
Legal & General
Lloyds
Marston's
National Grid
Phoenix Group
Rio Tinto
Shell
Smith DS
Standard Life Aberdeen
Tate & Lyle
Taylor Wimpey
United Utilities
Unilever
Vodafone
WPP

That's enough fiddling, so back to sleep. Comments welcome.

Ian.

Arborbridge
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3678
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:33 am
Has thanked: 722 times
Been thanked: 1157 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255793

Postby Arborbridge » October 4th, 2019, 9:25 am

idpickering wrote:Further to my 'My HYP as of now thread' here; viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19130 , there were comments that I had to many insurers, of whatever ilk, and to few REITs. Ten minutes ago I dropped Direct Line, and bought Land Securities with the proceeds. I had Admiral Group on board too, so to have Direct LIne as well might've been folly on my part.

Admiral Group
AstraZeneca
BAE Systems
BHP Group
BP.
BT Group
British American Tobacco
British Land
Diageo
GlaxoSmithKline
HSBC
IG Group
Imperial Brands
Land Securities
Legal & General
Lloyds
Marston's
National Grid
Phoenix Group
Rio Tinto
Shell
Smith DS
Standard Life Aberdeen
Tate & Lyle
Taylor Wimpey
United Utilities
Unilever
Vodafone
WPP

That's enough fiddling, so back to sleep. Comments welcome.

Ian.


It would be nice to see that table with the capital weightings too, Ian.

Arb.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1190
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 10:30 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 249 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255794

Postby kempiejon » October 4th, 2019, 9:29 am

Or even income weightings?

idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1581 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255798

Postby idpickering » October 4th, 2019, 10:16 am

Fair points guys. I will work on that.

Ian.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1190
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 10:30 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 249 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255807

Postby kempiejon » October 4th, 2019, 10:38 am

Actually Ian looking over the 2 companies Direct Line and Land Securities I'd prefer the former, in fact I hold DLG but not LandSecs, British land and Segro are my REITS. DLG has the better recent growth history and higher yield. With your broad cover of firms I'm not sure being slightly over concentrated in insurance would bother me too much unless your income and capital weightings were well adrift. I'm conscious in my own HYP that financials are a fair whack of my income, insurance I have Admiral, and Legal and General as well but I don't have my spreadsheet at work to count the weighting, not enough to concern me to sell but probably enough to direct reinvestment elsewhere.

Arborbridge
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3678
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:33 am
Has thanked: 722 times
Been thanked: 1157 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255814

Postby Arborbridge » October 4th, 2019, 11:08 am

kempiejon wrote:Actually Ian looking over the 2 companies Direct Line and Land Securities I'd prefer the former


DOH! now he tells me ;) :lol:

monabri
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3187
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 9:56 am
Has thanked: 341 times
Been thanked: 868 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255816

Postby monabri » October 4th, 2019, 11:15 am

kempiejon wrote:Actually Ian looking over the 2 companies Direct Line and Land Securities I'd prefer the former, in fact I hold DLG but not LandSecs,


I'd say the same but IDP does have 'previous' about his timing of the dumping of future 'capital eating shares' ...I hope he's got it wrong in this case!

idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1581 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255826

Postby idpickering » October 4th, 2019, 11:50 am

monabri wrote:
kempiejon wrote:Actually Ian looking over the 2 companies Direct Line and Land Securities I'd prefer the former, in fact I hold DLG but not LandSecs,


I'd say the same but IDP does have 'previous' about his timing of the dumping of future 'capital eating shares' ...I hope he's got it wrong in this case!


You’re very kind monabri, but I’m no expert believe me. I did look at those other shares mentioned by Malcom but they’re to small for my liking. As for DLG, I think I was guilty of chasing the yield, a nod to Dod for that phrase. I don’t think there’s a need to chase higher yields come what may, and am happier with a lesser yielding share such as LANDin this instance. Ok will work on a new table later, but right now I’m enjoying the sun and view on our decking overlooking the bay up here in Orkney.

Ian.

Arborbridge
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3678
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:33 am
Has thanked: 722 times
Been thanked: 1157 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255829

Postby Arborbridge » October 4th, 2019, 12:02 pm

idpickering wrote: Ok will work on a new table later, but right now I’m enjoying the sun and view on our decking overlooking the bay up here in Orkney.

Ian.


Sun? It's bleak and horrible south of london.

Make the most of it - I see next week there are huge waves heading your way in the Atlantic. Although the wave heights will drop on reaching you, you could have some dramatic coastal views coming up.

idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1581 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255830

Postby idpickering » October 4th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
idpickering wrote: Ok will work on a new table later, but right now I’m enjoying the sun and view on our decking overlooking the bay up here in Orkney.

Ian.


Sun? It's bleak and horrible south of london.

Make the most of it - I see next week there are huge waves heading your way in the Atlantic. Although the wave heights will drop on reaching you, you could have some dramatic coastal views coming up.


Cheers for your input Arb. Our views here are normally breathtaking, and it’s a tourist hot spot. Back to HYPing though. It is largely due to HYP that we moved here at all. Newbies out there, stick with it. HYPing works.

Ian.

idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1581 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255896

Postby idpickering » October 4th, 2019, 3:37 pm

Here's the sector spread for my HYP as of now.

Non life insurance    4%
Pharmas 7.5%
Defence 4.0%
Mining 8.3%
Oil producers 7.7%
Fixed Tels 3.0%
Tobacco 7.3%
REITs 7.0%
Beverages 3.5%
Banks 8.0%
Finance 8.0%
Leisure 3.2%
Utilities 6.5%
Packaging 4.0%
Food producers 6.0%
Household 4.2%
Mobile Tels 3.8%
Media 4.0%
Insurance 3%


Ian.

idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1581 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255907

Postby idpickering » October 4th, 2019, 4:33 pm

My apologise, here's another adjusted one as I missed Insurance out.

Non life insurance 4%
Pharmas 7.5%
Defence 4.0%
Insurance 3.0 %
Mining 7.3%
Oil producers 7.7%
Fixed Tels 3.0%
Tobacco 7.3%
REITs 6.0%
Beverages 3.5%
Banks 7.0%
Finance 7.0%
Leisure 3.2%
Utilities 6.5%
Packaging 4.0%
Food producers 6.0%
Household 4.2%
Mobile Tels 3.8%
Media 4.0%

I'm not good at tables lol. I've asked that my first attempt be deleted.

Ian.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4149
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Has thanked: 1497 times
Been thanked: 2631 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255912

Postby Itsallaguess » October 4th, 2019, 5:09 pm

idpickering wrote:
I'm not good at tables lol.


Have a look at this post Ian - it's got a link to a tutorial video and also to a great tool that kiloran wrote to help with Lemon Fool tables being created from spreadsheet data -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16596

Don't forget there's also a 'TEST' board here on Lemon Fool, so that you can have a go without any worries of messing up on the main boards -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=28

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3678
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:33 am
Has thanked: 722 times
Been thanked: 1157 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255919

Postby Arborbridge » October 4th, 2019, 5:33 pm

idpickering wrote:Here's the sector spread for my HYP as of now.

Non life insurance    4%
Pharmas 7.5%
Defence 4.0%
Mining 8.3%
Oil producers 7.7%
Fixed Tels 3.0%
Tobacco 7.3%
REITs 7.0%
Beverages 3.5%
Banks 8.0%
Finance 8.0%
Leisure 3.2%
Utilities 6.5%
Packaging 4.0%
Food producers 6.0%
Household 4.2%
Mobile Tels 3.8%
Media 4.0%
Insurance 3%




Ian.


Considering ou think you are no good at tables, that's pretty good.

I'm interested that you published sector weights, whereas I was referring to individual share weights. Like, TJH I don't pay so much attention to sectors and I will check the weights only occasionally using HYPTUSS. I do this to make sure one sector isn't running away with it (usually finance in general or insurance in particular as they seem to throw up more opportunities) but generally I'm not bothered about making them balance.

Would you like to practice further with a table of share capital weightings? ;)

Arb.

idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1581 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255923

Postby idpickering » October 4th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Would you like to practice further with a table of share capital weightings? ;)

Arb.


I'll have another crack at it tomorrow, after I've had a lay down. :D
The figures above aren't finite btw, just about right.

My thanks to Itsallaguess for his kind guidance too.

Ian.

idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1581 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255989

Postby idpickering » October 5th, 2019, 8:04 am

Share and % of HYP in capital value

Admiral Group                                   4.0%
AstraZeneca 3.5%
BAE Systems 4.0%
BHP Group 4.1%
BP. 3.7%
BT Group 3.0%
British American Tobacco 4.0%
British Land 4.0%
Diageo 2.0%
GlaxoSmithKline 4.0%
HSBC 4.0%
IG Group 3.3%
Imperial Brands 3.3%
Land Securities 3.0%
Legal & General 4.0%
Lloyds 4.0%
Marston's 3.2%
National Grid 3.5%
Phoenix Group 3.2%
Rio Tinto 4.2%
Shell B 4.0%
Smith DS 4.0%
Standard Life Aberdeen 4.3%
Tate & Lyle 3.3%
Taylor Wimpey 4.2%
United Utilities 3.0%
Unilever 3.3%
Vodafone 3.8%
WPP 3.3%


The law of ish applies.

Ian.

Arborbridge
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3678
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:33 am
Has thanked: 722 times
Been thanked: 1157 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#255994

Postby Arborbridge » October 5th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Very nice Ian, very organised looking.

Arb.

idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1581 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#256004

Postby idpickering » October 5th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Very nice Ian, very organised looking.

Arb.


Thank you, and for the thanks from others too. it took forever, but practice makes perfect. A less than perfect share is BT.A. They’re in line for a top up this month I think, unless anyone can sway me otherwise? I didn’t much like fiddling with my HYP yesterday, but that had to be done. I’d been toying with the idea for a while. Now I just want the portfolio to do its job, with me giving it time to do so, like a good HYPer should.

Ian.

Arborbridge
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3678
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:33 am
Has thanked: 722 times
Been thanked: 1157 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#256065

Postby Arborbridge » October 5th, 2019, 4:52 pm

idpickering wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Very nice Ian, very organised looking.

Arb.


Thank you, and for the thanks from others too. it took forever, but practice makes perfect. A less than perfect share is BT.A. They’re in line for a top up this month I think, unless anyone can sway me otherwise? I didn’t much like fiddling with my HYP yesterday, but that had to be done. I’d been toying with the idea for a while. Now I just want the portfolio to do its job, with me giving it time to do so, like a good HYPer should.

Ian.


As regards BT, I believe plenty of people would try to sway you otherwise, but as TJH once said, - it's really hard to envisage BT collapsing in a heap, despite its well known pension size. I am probably holding off for a while even though it's No2 in my ranking. I just wonder if the dividend will be cut this year, and there are other fish to fry.

Arb.

idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1581 times

Re: HYP Adjustment

#256072

Postby idpickering » October 5th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
As regards BT, I believe plenty of people would try to sway you otherwise, but as TJH once said, - it's really hard to envisage BT collapsing in a heap, despite its well known pension size. I am probably holding off for a while even though it's No2 in my ranking. I just wonder if the dividend will be cut this year, and there are other fish to fry.

Arb.


Thanks for that Arb. I agree about it looking hard to see such a thing with BT Group, but one can never be certain. The dividend aspect bothers me too. I've got four weeks to Pickering over it. I agree also that there are other fishes to fry. On perusal of my HYP listed above I can see that a number of my other holdings could do with a top up. I'm not looking at any new holdings currently. I'll mull it over some more.

Ian.


Return to “High Yield Portfolios (HYP) - Practical”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot], Taverhamboy and 14 guests