Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

Postby stewamax » October 4th, 2019, 9:54 am

I said in an earlier post on this thread that "The standout winner [of Wychwood's range] by a long chalk is Hobgoblin IPA. King Goblin is pleasant - tastes like a stronger version of Hobgoblin."
This was in July.
October chill has arrived, and I am finding that King Goblin, just slightly chilled, goes down better and better.
So... for Summer and/or a long session, Hobgoblin IPA is king - on a par with the hoppier Oakham Ales' Citra.
But when the North Wind Doth Blow and supplies of Fullers' magnificent 1845 have run out) King Goblin reigns

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 4th, 2019, 10:25 am

Fullers' magnificent 1845

Magnificent for how long ?
I'm sure Asahi are itching to 'develop' all that prime real estate in Chiswick, and outsource the brewing of Fuller's beers

vandefrosty
Lemon Pip

Postby vandefrosty » October 4th, 2019, 2:21 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Fullers' magnificent 1845

Magnificent for how long ?
I'm sure Asahi are itching to 'develop' all that prime real estate in Chiswick, and outsource the brewing of Fuller's beers

I also worry that this is a risk. I used to live 300m from the brewery and the brewery shop was where I bought most of my beer. So I always stop by whenever I can and I enjoyed a long conversation with the staff when I was in London last month. My observations:

Staff I talked to did not feel this way. They were convinced that Doom-Bar-isation was not in their future. They welcome the investment that Asahi has already brought to the sales operation. For example, the brewery store has been refurbished and staff were delighted that their annual beer allowance had been reinstated. It wasn't clear what, if anything was different on the brewery operations side.

Asahi's business approach is clearly more revenue-focussed. Brewery tours used to be priced at GBP10 or so but are now GBP17.50, The vintage ales are now premium priced - the 2011 and 2012 ones on sale for GBP 100 per 500ml bottle, for example. The older ones previously carried a premium, but never like this in my experience. The older Past Masters range also. And the brewery store now dedicates space to other brands in the Asahi stable, eg Peroni and Grolsch.

Greg

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 4th, 2019, 2:52 pm

'Fuller, Smith & Turner P.L.C is a family-owned London brewer'
according to the corporate section of their website.
https://www.fullers.co.uk/corporate

Perhaps they have maintained a FS&T-owned microbrewery on site so they can make this claim..or they have been a bit slack updating

vandefrosty
Lemon Pip

Postby vandefrosty » October 4th, 2019, 5:28 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:'Fuller, Smith & Turner P.L.C is a family-owned London brewer'
according to the corporate section of their website.
https://www.fullers.co.uk/corporate

Perhaps they have maintained a FS&T-owned microbrewery on site so they can make this claim..or they have been a bit slack updating

There is a pilot brewing facility in the back of the brewery store.

https://fullersbrewery.co.uk/visit-the-shop/

But it's described on the Asahi "Fuller's brewery" website, not the Fuller's plc site, so I suspect slackness by the plc is the correct assumption.

I think the websites need to differentiate themselves some more. The plc site contains most detail about the range of beers, while the brewery site offering is a bit sparse. And yet brewing choices and marketing thereof are presumably Asahi's. Also Google barely finds the fullersbrewery.co.uk site, even when searching for "fullers brewery".

To try to be on topic, this week's adventure beer was HaandBukk Doppelbock, 8% ABV from Norway, picked up from the end of range bin at the local LCBO (in Ontario, all distribution and non-producer retail is managed by the government monopoly - with all the unpleasant aspects of provider capture that this implies). Very pleasant it was too, warm and boozy with good flavours of chocolaty malt and caramel.

Greg

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 5th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Had to look up LCBO! Sounds similar to the Systembolaget stores in Sweden

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 13th, 2019, 8:34 pm

I ordered a small crate of various interesting (and $) beers from Siren - all a bit of a disaster.
The order was 8-9 bottles though some were £10 each, the price wasn't really the issue, they promised to be highly exotic, and occasional treats.
I sat housebound while the delivery was on/off, only later to be abandoned as the carton was apparently damaged en route. The brewery re-sent the order, BUT only read and filled the first page of two of the order (about 5 of 8 beers), which arrived after around a week from ordering plus perhaps a dozen e-mails/calls to/fro.
Lessons: Avoid Parcelforce delivery at all costs.
#B Siren used a unshielded (no poly chips etc) cardboard bottle box = it's not good enough vs Parcelforce.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » October 15th, 2019, 11:45 am

Glad to see this post spring back to life after a quiet few weeks.

I'm recently back from a visit to the Ruhr Valley (I went to watch my first Bundesliga game, and what an experience that was!) flying in and out of Dusseldorf. On the way back, I spent an afternoon in three historic family owned brauhauses in Dusseldorf Alstadt where there was no choice of beer, it was the eponymous Dusseldorf altbier, a top fermented, relatively dark (between Pilsner and Dunkel) ale aged and served cold. Not too strong, served in 0.25l glasses, so stays cold and fresh, with empty glasses being replaced by wandering waiters as soon as you put them down, and another mark struck on your beer mat to allow the bill to be paid at the end. Of the three brauhauses Uerige is probably the most famous and also probably the best, a warren of small rooms, but always with the central brewing rooms in sight. A fabulous experience which topped off a great weekend.

It's a bit fruity, a bit hoppy, very tasty and I enjoyed it far more than I expected. :lol:

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » October 15th, 2019, 3:10 pm

BrummieDave wrote:empty glasses being replaced by wandering waiters as soon as you put them down, and another mark struck on your beer mat to allow the bill to be paid at the end.

I didn't realise they still operated that system! Back before the wall came down I was visiting family in Letmathe and all the pubs did the same. I can't recall anybody suggesting "doing a runner" even in jest. The same in Berlin, even in a pretty seedy, packed nightclub.

It makes me embarrassed that such a system simply wouldn't work in this country

Back on topic, our local Aldi is selling three variants of Hobgoblin: Ruby, Gold and King. All three seem pretty decent, with stocks running low in between deliveries, so not such a well kept secret :(

VRD

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 22nd, 2019, 5:32 pm

I'm having mixed experiences of late ordering beer on-line for delivery. I'd seen that Wychwood (Hobgoblin etc) have an on-line shop and list 1/2 dozen or more beers I've never seen in the shops.
I ordered a mixed case of 12 on Friday morning, using 'Express' which is meant to come with tracking.
I received 3 auto-emails from them, the last on Saturday early afternoon that the order was ready for pick-up by the courier.

The long/short is I chased it on Monday, and was told it's arrive today/tom. At no point was I given a tracking number, so was facing a possible two days waiting at home. It arrived this pm, the box has the couriers ref# on it, and I checked that on their website and sure enough it gives the status of the delivery at all main points along it's way to me.

I'd chased with Wychwood this morning asking for a tracking#, but have yet to receive a reply.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 2nd, 2019, 2:15 pm

I prefer trying new beers on a fresh palate, or if I'm having two new ones I start with the lighter one, then the heavier. Tonight is unusual in that I'll be having three (pre contemplating something more sessionable), but then I don't usually bother with ultra-low and 0%ABV beers I've had a few in store for a while and plan to get through them. We'll see, I've yet to find a beer under say 3.5% that does anything much re: Taste/Feel for me.

Lucky Saint 0.5% (UK) https://luckysaint.co/
Tucher Urbrau Hell 4.8% (DE) - hopefully a respected German Helles.

The 3rd one was a surprise find in my local Waitrose yesterday, it's from a London brewery called Camden and is called 'Beer 2019'. There is very little info on the web to be found (incl their website!), but it appears to be of a limited annual offering that they each year age in barrels previously used for other drinks. It might be a 'death or glory' experience, we'll see :lol: I've tried beers aged in casks used for various other drinks before ... port, wine, sherry, rum, whisky; some definitely work better than others IME.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » December 9th, 2019, 11:04 am

Had some bottles last week, I gave away my Timothy Taylors Landlord to a thirsty lass, she said it was fizzier than in the pub, she was right, no surprise there, but decent enough. Also had Hogsback Gardener's Tipple which is lovely, West Berkshire Brewery Good Old Boy which was, actually, I have no recollection, it disappeared though, so it must have been neither so good to be remarkable, nor so bad to be reportable, and ditto something from Bath Ales, Wild Hare I think, vague recollection of a green label.

Yes, I'm really bad at beer reviews.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » April 22nd, 2020, 5:34 pm

I've been buying some stuff from a couple of local (industrial estate unit) breweries.

Both doing some interesting styles, unpasteurised, unfiltered beers.

They are Bucks Star and Blackened Sun in Milton Keynes.

Two favs so far:

Steenbrugge - a Belgian amber ale @ 4.8% from Bucks Star

Nebula - a 6.8% stout from Blackened Sun

How's everyone getting decent beer supplies in these times?

Imbiber
2 Lemon pips

Postby Imbiber » April 22nd, 2020, 5:58 pm

Courtesy of Asda delivery St Austell Proper Job, Adnams Broadside and Marstons IPA. A friend also drops off Oakham Citra from Morrisons. Best of all the Braumeister is now back on stream. Sampled the first brew of the season today, an IPA ( Isolation Pale Ale) brewed with Aurora and Chinook. I have should have enough grains and hops to last through the summer. Next up is a Pliny the Elder clone.

I

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » April 22nd, 2020, 6:12 pm

GrandOiseau wrote:

I'll give a shout out to my local beer shop, who are delivering : https://www.heatonhops.co.uk . I have mostly been drinking Pale Ales, and mostly American styles. Deya brewery Steady Rolling Man ( https://deyabrewing.com/beer/steady-rolling-man/ ) which poses the challenge of not hearing Clapton every time you open one; not succeeded yet. Also Lagonda - https://marblebeers.com ( but not behaving for me at he moment ).

Both light, citrussy beers. Here in sunny Stockport possible to have lunch in the garden.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » April 22nd, 2020, 9:55 pm

Imbiber wrote:Courtesy of Asda delivery St Austell Proper Job, Adnams Broadside and Marstons IPA. A friend also drops off Oakham Citra from Morrisons.

Proper Job has been a bit of a staple of mine of late because they sell it in Lidl where we do most of our shopping. Trouble is I am now overdoing it in terms of regularity rather than quantity and need to get something else going.

Imbiber wrote:Best of all the Braumeister is now back on stream. Sampled the first brew of the season today, an IPA ( Isolation Pale Ale) brewed with Aurora and Chinook. I have should have enough grains and hops to last through the summer. Next up is a Pliny the Elder clone.

Wish I still had my old kit to fire up right now.

Percol351

Postby Percol351 » April 23rd, 2020, 8:39 am

For those in the West Yorkshire area Saltaire Brewery are doing a home delivery service.

https://www.saltairebrewery.com/home-delivery/

Can recommend their Citra, Amarillo and Blonde.

Regards,

Percol

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » April 23rd, 2020, 10:14 am

GrandOiseau wrote:I've been buying some stuff from a couple of local (industrial estate unit) breweries.

Two favs so far:

I can confirm Thornbridge are still brewing (albeit at a reduced level) and have free delivery for orders over £20. There are worse things to be stuck with than a few 12 packs of Jaipur to get you through a summer of lockdown :-)

All the best, Si

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » April 23rd, 2020, 10:49 am

simoan wrote:
GrandOiseau wrote:I've been buying some stuff from a couple of local (industrial estate unit) breweries.

Two favs so far:

I can confirm Thornbridge are still brewing (albeit at a reduced level) and have free delivery for orders over £20. There are worse things to be stuck with than a few 12 packs of Jaipur to get you through a summer of lockdown :-)

All the best, Si

With incredible coincidence, my delivery from Thornbridge arrived at 9.30am today, having only ordered it on Monday.

12 Green Mountain, hazy Vermont IPA, which I love and drink on draught regularly (prior to CV19), 6 Jamestown New England IPA, and 6 Hawksmoor Session IPA. I even treated myself to two glasses with the order, I like to drink from branded glasses sometimes (especially when the pubs are closed!).

The online choice is pretty restricted, but note that if you use the discount code THANKYOU15 you get 15% discount for as long as pubs are currently closed. Each delivery (I've had two so far) come with a great crossword with each answer being one of their beers. A good way to read about them on the website as you search the answers, and find out about their very impressive range.

Under different circumstances, I can recommend their brewery tour, and camping/hiking/drinking weekend festival, sadly not running this year.

Well done to Genou for reminding me about Lagonda too. I think I mentioned it in this thread about two years ago, after a weekend drinking it in Manchester. And to GrandOiseau for restarting this excellent discussion. A good antidote to all the armchair scientists and virologists arguing the toss on the other threads.

Looking forward to some Green Mountain in the sunshine later today!

Footnote to Simoan: last week Tesco were selling two four packs of Jaipur (cans not bottles) for £9. Eight cans for £9. Not sure if the offer is still on. Incredible value.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » April 23rd, 2020, 4:28 pm

Here's a heartwarming tale of beer and breweries...

I know someone that buys beer for regular events, he knows most of the brewers around here on first name terms. When this all kicked off, obviously pub trade stopped overnight. He was concerned about a one man band brewery nearby, run by a really nice bloke. They had a brew on, I'm sure he said 10,000 litres, that sounds like a lot! The pubs shut, and he was wondering what to do with it all. He managed to get space at a bottling plant, so started whatever you have to do to make it bottle ready, heat it up I think. Then the brewer's phone is off the hook with people want deliveries. But this guys beer is now all destined for the bottle plant, as once it's bottle ready it's no longer barrel ready. So when the bottling brew is done, by then there's a queue of people wanting his beer. He's actually having to put more brews on.

My mate contacts me, says, "I'm getting a barrel, want some beer?" and my arm is twisted. I go round his house, find the 4 pint milk bottle with my name on in the storage box out the front, and I owe him FIVE pounds. For FOUR pints. I'm guessing he and I are both getting mates rates. We have a socially distanced chat, and I take my beer home. Wash the bottle, wash my hands.

My mate has enough friends to decant the 72? pint barrel in one sitting and a steady stream of prearranged people come and pick it up through the morning.

It's very good beer too. Very good. Excellent in fact. We had no trouble drinking it, not trouble at all. I hesitate to mention names as my mate is now struggling to get a barrel from there each week - the brewer can't keep up with demand. Don't want to make it worse!

Moral of this story - your local brewery has probably switched to home deliveries, why not give them a shout?

Return to “Drink”