Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HYPTUSS 11.71

Discussions regarding financial software
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

HYPTUSS 11.71

Postby Arborbridge » October 6th, 2019, 10:56 am

I've just tried the last version, mentioned in Ian Pickering's thread by IAAG.

On the "overview" page, when using the <Generate overview> button I receive a "runtime error 438 object doesn't support this property of method" message.

The table then appears.

However, on trying the <Sort by Sector> button, I receive the same message, but the previously displayed table (generate overview) does not alter.

Any ideas why it won't function in my case?

Arb.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: HYPTUSS 11.71

Postby Itsallaguess » October 6th, 2019, 11:09 am

Arborbridge wrote:

Hi Arb,

Are you working with the vanilla download, with just the single BP share in it?

If you are, does it operate successfully if you add any other entry to the portfolio?

Note that you'll need to run the 'Get Forecast Yields' process after adding any new entry before the 'Overview' processes will work correctly.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 6th, 2019, 11:18 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Hi Arb,

Are you working with the vanilla download, with just the single BP share in it?

If you are, does it operate successfully if you add any other entry to the portfolio?

Note that you'll need to run the 'Get Forecast Yields' process after adding any new entry before the 'Overview' processes will work correctly.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Thanks for coming back quickly.
My HYPTUSS is fully populated with all my shares, prices and forecasts all updated. AFAIK see all the usual HYPTUSS functions work OK. Sharecast still has the yield of BHP wrong, so I had to alter it by hand, but that's no a problem with HYPTUSS.

Arb.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 6th, 2019, 11:29 am

Arborbridge wrote:
My HYPTUSS is fully populated with all my shares, prices and forecasts all updated.

AFAIK see all the usual HYPTUSS functions work OK.

Sharecast still has the yield of BHP wrong, so I had to alter it by hand, but that's no a problem with HYPTUSS.

Thanks Arb - some considerations then -

1. Before you run the 'Generate Overview' process, do all your holdings have a valid 'Sector' shown on the main 'High Yield Portfolio' sheet?

2. If you had time, it would be interesting to know if the process worked OK if you started with the vanilla download, and manually added your holdings one by one - just to see if there's a specific holding in your portfolio that's causing this issue - in fact thinking about it now, I think the easiest method to check this on a copy of your 'fully-populated' 11.71 version that's currently showing the issue would actually be to delete your holdings one by one and give it a go each time...

This version has been live for some time now, and I know some posters do use the 'Overview' functionality to post their HYP's up here, so this feels like there might be something odd going on with one of your holdings, and the above will hopefully help to isolate it, if indeed this is the case?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 6th, 2019, 11:37 am

Arborbridge wrote:
My HYPTUSS is fully populated with all my shares, prices and forecasts all updated.

The results of one other quick test would be very useful as well Arb -

1. Download the latest 11.71 version to your desktop

2. Open it up and enable Macros if asked

3. Add a 1000-share holding of AAIF to the vanilla BP portfolio, so the HYP has just the two holdings..

4. Get Yahoo prices

5. Get Forecast Dividends

6. On the 'Overview' sheet, select the 'Generate Overview' button - does the overview with AAIF in it get generated?

7. Select 'Sort by Sector' - does the AAIF holding get generated above the BP holding?

8. Select 'Generate Lemon Fool Table' - do you see the 'COPIED to clipboard' message?

9. Open Notepad and PASTE the clipboard into NOTEPAD - is a Lemon Fool table produced in Notepad?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 6th, 2019, 11:45 am

I've gone back to the vanilla version with a freshly downloaded copy. Added four companies, 100 shares each.
I still receive the same message, although the <generate overview> works despite the message, as does the lemon fool formatting part: -

Value     Div    Fcst 
Share Epic Sector %Total %Total Yield

BP BP Oil & Gas Producers 3.89% 5.33% 6.80%
Admiral Group ADM Nonlife Insurance 16.14% 19.86% 6.10%
AstraZeneca AZN Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology 54.98% 36.59% 3.30%
Aviva AV Life Insurance 2.99% 4.94% 8.20%
British American Tobacco BATS Tobacco 22.01% 33.29% 7.50%

Portfolio Running Yield = 4.96%

Value Div
Sector %Total %Total

Note: 1...'Value %Total' is the portfolio value of the share as a % of the total portfolio
2...'Div %Total' is the expected dividend of the share based on forecast yield
as a % of the total portfolio expected dividend

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 6th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
I've gone back to the vanilla version with a freshly downloaded copy. Added four companies, 100 shares each.

I still receive the same message, although the <generate overview> works despite the message, as does the lemon fool formatting part.

Thanks Arb - very useful to know.

I'm still keen to learn just where the code is generating the error that you're seeing, so the following steps would help to expose that -

1. Select ALT-F11 from the 'Overview' sheet - this should open the VBA Editor

2. In the upper-left area of the VBA Editor, double-click the line that says 'VBA Project (hyp top up spreadsheet v11.71.xls)'

3. You'll be asked for the VBA password - this is not something we hide from people, but we do add a password just to help people to avoid causing issues in the code - type 'pleaseletmein' at this prompt

4. Once you see the three folders listed under the above VBA Project (Microsoft Excel Objects / Forms / Modules), then go back to the 'Overview' sheet and work through your process to generate the error.

5. When the error is seen this time, you should be able to select the 'Debug' option on the error window, which will then take you to the VBA Editor at the precise line of code that's causing the issue - it should be highlighted in yellow

6. Please copy the yellow line, and the two above and the two below, and post the chunk of VBA code here, and we'll try to see what's going on. The additional lines are in case the one line of code appears in a number of places, so seeing it in some additional lines of code will help us find just where that line sits in the overall code..

If you were seeing additional errors to the one seen in your 'vanilla' 4-stock test portfolio, when you enter your full HYP, then it would still be good to hear if you could isolate the specific holding causing that extra issue, by carrying out the 'delete one by one' process discussed in my previous post.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 6th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Thanks Arb - very useful to know.

I'm still keen to learn just where the code is generating the error that you're seeing, so the following steps would help to expose that -

Itsallaguess

Thanks for the comtinued help. I need to put this on the back burner for a few hours as I need to do some other things.

I'll be back on later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Arb.

peterh
2 Lemon pips

Postby peterh » October 6th, 2019, 2:15 pm

I've just tried something similar with a clean copy of 11.71. I firstly added the AAIF shares, then ADM and AZN. At both stages, the 'generate overview' and 'sort by sector' procedures worked without giving an error message.

However, the 'generate table' procedure just seems to copy some non printing characters to the clipboard - but no error messages.

Running the latest Excel Office 365 on Windows 10 pro

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 6th, 2019, 2:25 pm

peterh wrote:
I've just tried something similar with a clean copy of 11.71. I firstly added the AAIF shares, then ADM and AZN. At both stages, the 'generate overview' and 'sort by sector' procedures worked without giving an error message.

However, the 'generate table' procedure just seems to copy some non printing characters to the clipboard - but no error messages.

Running the latest Excel Office 365 on Windows 10 pro

Thanks for that peterh - useful to have another set of eyes on these types of issues, and also good to know that the main processes are working for you with those four components added.

On the issue with the clipboard, I do remember seeing something similar during our beta-testing, and it turned out that I only ever had any clipboard problems when I had other spreadsheets open at the same time as running the HYPTUSS tool.

Could I please ask if you could run the processes above again with only the HYPTUSS tool open, and let me know if the clipboard the works as expected?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

peterh
2 Lemon pips

Postby peterh » October 6th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Could I please ask if you could run the processes above again with only the HYPTUSS tool open, and let me know if the clipboard the works as expected?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Hi, I only had the one workbook open. I get the same behaviour with a second one open as well.

Something is put on the clipboard, but it doesn't show in Notepad. In Notepad++ it looks like 6 formatting characters/codes (I hadn't realised before that we can't post images or attachments here, otherwise I could have shown you!)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 6th, 2019, 3:24 pm

peterh wrote:(I hadn't realised before that we can't post images or attachments here, otherwise I could have shown you!)

That's just this particular board, you can post images on most others. You can still post links here though. You could put an image on Imgur and post a link to it rather that try to display it in a post.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 6th, 2019, 3:30 pm

peterh wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

Hi, I only had the one workbook open. I get the same behaviour with a second one open as well.

Something is put on the clipboard, but it doesn't show in Notepad. In Notepad++ it looks like 6 formatting characters/codes

Thanks peterh - I think I may have mis-remembered when I was able to replicate this issue on my Windows 10 machine, and it wasn't when I had another spreadsheet open specifically, but it was to do with having 'File Explorer' windows open...

Can you please tell me if the issue is resolved by closing any folder-windows or other miscellaneous File Explorer windows?

If you do close any folder windows that you might have had open previously, then you'll have to select the 'Generate Lemon Fool Table' button again to then refresh the clipboard with valid data...

I do appreciate your input here.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

peterh
2 Lemon pips

Postby peterh » October 6th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Interesting!

Restarted PC and opened just the 11.71 workbook.

Updated prices, dividends and then ran the two procedures in the overview tab. Now, the table generation works.

Open three file explorer instances, run table generation again - doesn't work.

Close all explorer windows - it works again.

Open one file explorer instance - doesn't work

Here's what's on the clipboard when it doesn't work: https://imgur.com/a/69YpEL0

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 6th, 2019, 4:46 pm

peterh wrote:
Interesting!

Restarted PC and opened just the 11.71 workbook.

Updated prices, dividends and then ran the two procedures in the overview tab. Now, the table generation works.

Open three file explorer instances, run table generation again - doesn't work.

Close all explorer windows - it works again.

Open one file explorer instance - doesn't work

Thanks peterh - good to know you've got it fully working, and it is an odd one that I'm grateful of the reminder for...

Great to hear you've not got any issues with it now, and hopefully we can get to the bottom of Arb's warning-window issue when he's able to access the VBA code to help with that.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”