Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby odysseus2000 » October 11th, 2019, 10:28 am

redsturgeon

I guess for context, some idea of how many fires per 1000 vehicles would actual make that figure useful.

John

Every time anything happens to a Tesla anywhere in the world it makes headline news. The 7000 uk accidental vehicle fires & the deliberate uk vehicle fires might make the local news headlines, but often don't. As a society we have accepted that ice cars catch on fire a lot which as expected as they have large tanks of flammable chemicals.

For the moment BEV are much less likely to burn. That may change with different batteries, but as things stand BEV are much safer cars in a accidents as there are no big tanks of easily released fuel. When I was young too cars colloded near where I live & although the emergency services raced here they were too late. People tried to get the people out, but they were beaten back by the flames & the people died. One of the policeman told me to carry something in the car to break windows in case of a fire & I have always done so & gave a hammer & auto centre pop for breaking car windows to my groom when she passed her driving test.

Regards,

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » October 11th, 2019, 10:30 am

redsturgeon wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD
.but the throw away at the bottom shows an aspect of BEV's which is less often considered

The Fort Lauderdale Fire Department did not see a visible fire when they responded to the crash, but they sprayed it with water and foam anyway, according to a National Transportation Safety Board investigation. ‘During the loading of the car for removal from the scene, the battery reignited and was quickly extinguished. Upon arrival at the storage yard, the battery reignited again. A local fire department responded to the storage yard and extinguished the fire,’ the NTSB report says.

How many petrol & diesel fires with ice cars?

Answer over 7,000 accidental fires per year in recent times:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 80819.xlsx

Regards,

I guess for context, some idea of how many fires per 1000 vehicles would actual make that figure useful.

John

The numbers floating around tend to indicate that traditional dino-juice ICE vehicles are 11x more likely to catch fire than modern BEVs.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/news/c ... index.html

However I suspect that is a metric from Tesla that skews the data in favour of Tesla. If you look a these reports you will notice that a lot of the common fire causes are ones that predominantly affect late lifecycle vehicles, and so far Tesla (who are pretty much the dominant BEV data supplier) vehicles are fairly early life-cycle.

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf ... /v19i2.pdf
https://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/vehicle-fires/

regards, dspp

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 11th, 2019, 11:09 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
BobbyD
.but the throw away at the bottom shows an aspect of BEV's which is less often considered

The Fort Lauderdale Fire Department did not see a visible fire when they responded to the crash, but they sprayed it with water and foam anyway, according to a National Transportation Safety Board investigation. ‘During the loading of the car for removal from the scene, the battery reignited and was quickly extinguished. Upon arrival at the storage yard, the battery reignited again. A local fire department responded to the storage yard and extinguished the fire,’ the NTSB report says.

How many petrol & diesel fires with ice cars?

Answer over 7,000 accidental fires per year in recent times:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 80819.xlsx

Regards,

Way to spectacularly miss the point in your fervour...

It doesn't matter how many fires there are which don't involve lithium batteries in cars, you still have to face the problems caused by damaged cells in crashed vehicles and the risks posed to bystanders, emergency responders, and clean up crews if you are going to minimise the risk of injury or death.

...or you could let it feed your growing paranoia and dismiss it as a big oil conspiracy theory.

Yeah, we could have developed a best practice for assessing and mitigating the danger of damaged lithium cells in crashed cars, and yes it is possible that making sure that people who will regularly come in to contact with damaged lithium cells follow that procedure, but we thought it would be a much better plan all round to just point out that people die in petrol cars too... stop picking on us man, other people kill with their short sightedness and indifference too.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 11th, 2019, 11:30 am

Nothing to do with Musk directly, but apparently Dyson has thrown in the towel with regard to producing electric cars.

Sir James Dyson is pulling the plug on his flagship electric car project after two years of work because it is not commercially viable.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... oject-not/
(Paywall)

RC

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 11th, 2019, 11:31 am

odysseus2000 wrote: so & gave a hammer & auto centre pop for breaking car windows to my groom when she passed her driving test.

Regards,

???

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 11th, 2019, 11:55 am

odysseus2000 wrote:This news imho makes Tesla a whole lot more valuable, especially as it begins to look like they have cornered the current tech in two important areas: Battery and Super Capacitors...

I didn't realise they'd bought Lamborghini.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 11th, 2019, 12:39 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote: so & gave a hammer & auto centre pop for breaking car windows to my groom when she passed her driving test.

Regards,

???

As a way to get out of a crashed vehicle when the doors don't work in case a fire starts, as recommended by a policeman to me many years ago.

If you ever see a vehicle fire & feel the intense heat it is something that makes a big impression.

I would recommend such precautions to any motorist as a good investment should the unlikely event of such a crash happen.

Regards,

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 11th, 2019, 1:16 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

Regards,

???

As a way to get out of a crashed vehicle when the doors don't work in case a fire starts, as recommended by a policeman to me many years ago.

If you ever see a vehicle fire & feel the intense heat it is something that makes a big impression.

I would recommend such precautions to any motorist as a good investment should the unlikely event of such a crash happen.

Regards,

That was the bit I understood, it was referring to your other half a "groom" I was struggling with! :D

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 11th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Sorry, was brought up around horse folk and assumed everyone else would be familiar with the term.

Groom: Person who takes care of a pony/horse. In my case she looks after my Dartmoor black gelding. A cheeky chap who yesterday broke into my top garden and ate my plants and got called some very bad names.

Regards,

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 11th, 2019, 3:19 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Sorry, was brought up around horse folk and assumed everyone else would be familiar with the term.

Groom: Person who takes care of a pony/horse. In my case she looks after my Dartmoor black gelding. A cheeky chap who yesterday broke into my top garden and ate my plants and got called some very bad names.

Regards,

Aha, familiar with the term but didn't know anyone who has their own groom. :)

John

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » October 11th, 2019, 4:33 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:Sorry, was brought up around horse folk and assumed everyone else would be familiar with the term.

Regards,

John

I think she is married to Ody's Butler :D

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 11th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Howard wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

Regards,

John

I think she is married to Ody's Butler :D

Ha Ha!

I make do with a scullery maid.

There are levers in every room, connected by wire to bells that ring in the servants quarters when I need jobs attending to, coal on the open fires etc

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 11th, 2019, 9:11 pm

VW apparently thinking of selling Lamborghini or equity listing:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... n-overhaul

Other prestigious marks also being considered for sale like Bentley.

This is being spun as a restructuring exercise, but imho reflects vw board room panic over BEV & needed mark downs in legacy to compete.

Regards,

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 11th, 2019, 9:13 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
There are levers in every room, connected by wire to bells

Just because you might not agree with them, is that really necessary?

:O)

Itsallaguess

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 11th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
There are levers in every room, connected by wire to bells

Just because you might not agree with them, is that really necessary?

:O)

Itsallaguess

ha ha

let me rephrase. There are mechanisms in each room connected by wires to bells....

Regards,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 12th, 2019, 12:02 am

odysseus2000 wrote:VW apparently thinking of selling Lamborghini or equity listing:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... n-overhaul

Other prestigious marks also being considered for sale like Bentley.

This is being spun as a restructuring exercise, but imho reflects vw board room panic over BEV & needed mark downs in legacy to compete.

Regards,

Yes, if only this wasn't entirely in keeping with Diess's declared strategy to end the empire building and concentrate on efficiency, they weren't currently reshaping the group and the way the companies in the group interact, and they hadn't already done exactly the same thing with Traton your entirely unforeseen take might have more credibility.

Lamborghini isn't part of VW's core, it's only owned it since 1998, in which time it's ramped up sales to the point where it could once again survive as a stand alone company, something it' hasn't managed in approaching the last two thirds of its existence. Diess isn't prepared to just sit around and wait for the future, he's on a mission to redefine VW every bit as much as Ferdinand Piech did.

Still maybe Tesla should make an offer, then they could claim to own a company which had actually sold cars with superchargers in them...

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 12th, 2019, 1:34 am

BobbyD wrote:Still maybe Tesla should make an offer, then they could claim to own a company which had actually sold cars with superchargers in them...

Supercapacitors...

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 12th, 2019, 6:39 am

Zipcar- electric cars in London, | Fully Charged - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9WBQM6tGLM

e-car share in London.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 13th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Interesting video speculating on recent Tesla acquisitions & their desire to be a vertically integrated battery-car-storage business:

https://youtu.be/hjCnuyqEacQ

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » October 13th, 2019, 8:22 pm

BEV after Alyson withdrawal. A interesting video in agreement with my belief that BEV have hardly got started:

https://youtu.be/8M1KQv0J3jI

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”