Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Dorset

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Dorset

Postby Rhyd6 » October 6th, 2019, 6:02 pm

We've recently returned from holiday in Dorset and I have to say that having travelled over most of England and Wales I've not come across a more friendly bunch of people. They certainly made for a very enjoyable holiday.

R6

dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Dorset

Postby dspp » October 6th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:We've recently returned from holiday in Dorset and I have to say that having travelled over most of England and Wales I've not come across a more friendly bunch of people. They certainly made for a very enjoyable holiday.

R6

Sssshhhh don't tell anybody. We prefer people bypass Dorset so it stays special.

regards, dspp

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » October 9th, 2019, 5:26 pm

dspp wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:We've recently returned from holiday in Dorset and I have to say that having travelled over most of England and Wales I've not come across a more friendly bunch of people. They certainly made for a very enjoyable holiday. R6

Sssshhhh don't tell anybody. We prefer people bypass Dorset so it stays special. regards, dspp

By-pass ?
(link regarding speeding driver)
https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/17744179.man-drove-porsche-on-puddletown-bypass-at-155mph/

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » October 9th, 2019, 7:40 pm

brightncheerful wrote:
dspp wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:We've recently returned from holiday in Dorset and I have to say that having travelled over most of England and Wales I've not come across a more friendly bunch of people. They certainly made for a very enjoyable holiday. R6

Sssshhhh don't tell anybody. We prefer people bypass Dorset so it stays special. regards, dspp

By-pass ?
(link regarding speeding driver)
https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/17744179.man-drove-porsche-on-puddletown-bypass-at-155mph/

eek !

155mph !

There are some nutters out there. That particular piece of road is often driven quite fast. What the fast drivers don't realise is that slow and/or heavy traffic comes out some slip roads with very limited visibility, and there are also some long tailbacks just over some blind summits. As a consequence there are fairly often some nasty accidents there.

regards, dspp

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 9th, 2019, 9:42 pm

dspp wrote:155mph !

There are some nutters out there. That particular piece of road is often driven quite fast. What the fast drivers don't realise is that slow and/or heavy traffic comes out some slip roads with very limited visibility, and there are also some long tailbacks just over some blind summits. As a consequence there are fairly often some nasty accidents there.

At 155 mph you have to wonder how the cops caught up with him.

Your hope that Dorset remains a secret may be too late, at least if my last visit to Wareham on a summer week-end is anything to go by. But I do love the "Isle" of Purbeck. And is there a better pub in all of England than the Square and Compass in Worth Matravers?

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » October 9th, 2019, 9:48 pm

Lootman wrote:
dspp wrote:155mph !

At 155 mph you have to wonder how the cops caught up with him.

Your hope that Dorset remains a secret may be too late, at least if my last visit to Wareham on a summer week-end is anything to go by. But I do love the "Isle" of Purbeck. And is there a better pub in all of England than the Square and Compass in Worth Matravers?

I won't tell you where the even better bits are, but I can tell you that nobody except the grockles goes to the Square & Compass in the Summer. Much as I love it, and have done for very many decades, I seldom go in season. There are better ones elsewhere ....

(I used to doss in the caves in Purbeck after cycling down there from north Dorset to climb at weekends, and S&C was one of the pubs I used to use as a lad. You can't access most of those caves now by normal means)

regards, dspp

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 11th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Lootman wrote:. And is there a better pub in all of England than the Square and Compass in Worth Matravers?

its a belter! though ive only been there in autumn/winter

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » October 11th, 2019, 2:48 pm

dspp wrote:I won't tell you where the even better bits are, but I can tell you that nobody except the grockles goes to the Square & Compass in the Summer. Much as I love it, and have done for very many decades, I seldom go in season. There are better ones elsewhere ....

(I used to doss in the caves in Purbeck after cycling down there from north Dorset to climb at weekends, and S&C was one of the pubs I used to use as a lad. You can't access most of those caves now by normal means)

Dspp, re the Square & Compass, can you recommend a couple of similar places in the Dorchester - Weymouth area, - preferably ones that don't get rammed with people.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » October 11th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Oak at Dewlish
Brace of Pheasants at Plush
Sailors Return at Charldon

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » October 11th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Greyhound at Sydling St Nicholas