Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

I hope that I did not a kill HYP-P discussion (MARS)

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
SDN123
2 Lemon pips

I hope that I did not a kill HYP-P discussion (MARS)

Postby SDN123 » November 4th, 2019, 1:06 pm

User monabri posted an innocuous update on MARs on HYP-P (linking to an RNS).

I replied to the post with some questions ( viewtopic.php?p=261955#p261955 ). These questions were both related to understanding and running my HYP.

It seems (after some searching) that:
1. monabri's original post has been deleted (I can't find it anywhere);
2. my post and replies have been moved to the "Company Share news (LSE Main Market)" board;
3. the thread includes a post in which moderators appear to be disagreeing with each other.

Don't mind my post being moved if that is what the moderators deem correct HOWEVER the process causes me some concerns (I will start by stating that I have huge respect for the time and effort that the moderators and the owners put into this board and so these comments are intended to be respectful and constructive):

a) I hope that nothing I typed got monabri's post deleted from HYP-P, it is exactly the type of update that I look for on that board hope that such posts are always allowed to live there.

b) There is now no sign at all that the original thread ever existed on HYP-P, there is no cross post to it's new "home". I believe that greatly reduces the people that I am interested in reading it and commenting on it from, well, reading it and commentating on it. (That is the group of people who also run a HYP.) If I add a cross post will that be deleted? Better can monabri's original post be reinstated on HYP-P and a cross-link added in there?

c) I I would have expected some sort of message that it had happened and where I can now find my post and, ideally an explanation of why so that that I can avoid the error again in the future or, less likely, push back if I disagree.

d) having moderators stating different views within a thread makes it very clear to me that there is little chance that a "normal" user knows where to post such information nor where to look for it. That feels that a major flaw. I respectfully suggest that more thought is required by the "powers that be".

SDN

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Re: I hope that I did not a kill HYP-P discussion (MARS)

Postby MDW1954 » November 4th, 2019, 2:20 pm

I'm the moderator that did that, in response to a poster's notification.

If monabri's original post has been deleted, it was an error. If I can find it, I will reinstate it.

RE: Company News vs HYP Practical, I had to make a judgement call, and it is one with which you disagree. The debt reduction news in question is hardly a major piece of news with implications for the dividend, but if you want to open a discussion that is materially different about it, on HYP Practical, go ahead. You will need to be discussing something that is not among the points raised in the Company News thread, though.

No, moderators aren't disagreeing with each other, and I personally think that it is disingenuous of you to suggest that. Two people, responding to different stimuli, reached two different conclusions. After spending 15 minutes messing around with that thread, I had neither the time or inclination to reverse it. Replying to your message has consumed more time -- time that I can ill-afford today, as it happens. That's also the explanation for the lack of a post on HYP Practical, but I would have thought that in the case of a missing thread, Company News would be an obvious place to look, and presumably you thought so too, which is how you found it.

I'll now go looking for monabri's message -- which, to repeat, I was not aware that I had deleted.

MDW1954

Moderator Message:
Update: monabri's original post hadn't been deleted. When topics are merged the posts are posted in date/ time order, so it is simply higher up in the same thread, where it always was. -- MDW1954

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 4th, 2019, 2:30 pm

My contribution to this was that I acted upon a report indicating that monrabi's post, after moving, was duplicated. Having established that this was the case I deleted one of them (they were adjacent posts). C.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 4th, 2019, 3:00 pm

Much ado about very little. It was always so much easier when HYP shares were discussed on the HYP-P Board. That is what it is for is it not?

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 4th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Much ado about very little. It was always so much easier when HYP shares were discussed on the HYP-P Board. That is what it is for is it not?

Dod,

I know you mean well when you suggest the above, but I hope you can understand that it's not helpful when you or others (you are not the only one...) persistently raise the same point time and again.

Doing so is likely to do nothing to help bed in the new approach, and whether you agree with it or not, it is extremely unlikely to change due to you repeating the same negative point.

Can you please understand that it would be much more helpful and supportive if you and others didn't persistently undermine the efforts being made regarding this issue?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 4th, 2019, 4:28 pm

IAAG

I hope we might be able to influence the final guidelines. There is simply continuous muddle at the moment. If you are writing in a mod capacity I will certainly abide by the request, but I do not know if you are a mod or not. If you are these matters are better dealt with via PMs.

Dod

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » November 4th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Dod,

Posters' names in the message header are reproduced in green if they are a mod. So IAAG is a mod.

MDW1954

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 4th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Dod101 wrote:
I hope we might be able to influence the final guidelines.

There is simply continuous muddle at the moment. If you are writing in a mod capacity I will certainly abide by the request, but I do not know if you are a mod or not. If you are these matters are better dealt with via PMs.

I was writing as a poster Dod, and the discussion has been done to death and has come to a conclusion, so primarily as a poster and user of these boards I do take the view that your undermining of the new approach with continued side-shots is definitely unhelpful.

You're not the only one to do it, but I think we can all play a part in trying not to undermine the efforts being made with the new approach.

With regard to PM's, I don't personally think they would be very helpful in this situation, and I do think that if you're happy to continue side-swiping at the new approach in public, then I should be able to raise the above points with you in public too, pointing out that a bit more support would probably be appreciated, rather than continued criticism....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 4th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I was writing as a poster Dod, and the discussion has been done to death and has come to a conclusion, so primarily as a poster and user of these boards I do take the view that your undermining of the new approach with continued side-shots is definitely unhelpful.

As a fellow poster, you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I have no intention of taking 'advice' from a fellow poster as such advice/guidance is the mods prerogative and if I am overstepping the mark, I am sure that a mod will so advise me. That is what they are there for.

I am not in the habit of falling out with people on these Boards and will not over this matter but I reserve the right to express my views if I feel like it.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 4th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
I was writing as a poster Dod, and the discussion has been done to death and has come to a conclusion, so primarily as a poster and user of these boards I do take the view that your undermining of the new approach with continued side-shots is definitely unhelpful.

As a fellow poster, you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I have no intention of taking 'advice' from a fellow poster as such advice/guidance is the mods prerogative and if I am overstepping the mark, I am sure that a mod will so advise me.

I was simply trying to appeal to your better nature Dod, with the hope that you might see that continued and persistent criticism is very unhelpful.

I'm sorry that I've not been successful in doing so, but I don't regret trying...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 4th, 2019, 7:45 pm

IAAG

Let's not make a big deal of this. I am anyway unlikely to say much more on the subject bearing in mind that the guidelines are being promised shortly from the last I read.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 4th, 2019, 8:00 pm

MDW1954 wrote:Dod,

Posters' names in the message header are reproduced in green if they are a mod. So IAAG is a mod.

MDW1954

I didn't know that, and in any case all the names are in blue - there are no colours.

Arb,

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 4th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

As a fellow poster, you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I have no intention of taking 'advice' from a fellow poster as such advice/guidance is the mods prerogative and if I am overstepping the mark, I am sure that a mod will so advise me.

I was simply trying to appeal to your better nature Dod, with the hope that you might see that continued and persistent criticism is very unhelpful.

I'm sorry that I've not been successful in doing so, but I don't regret trying...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod is right. He's only pointing out the obvious, and if no one is apparently listening, he's being consistent to point it out again.

I hadn't known there was some official guidance about to happen - in fact I didn't know any was needed since I thought this was all cleared up last week.

LMF is getting more like Alice in Wonderland every week.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » November 4th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:Dod,

MDW1954

I didn't know that, and in any case all the names are in blue - there are no colours.

Arb,

Arb,

Maybe only mods see the different colours...? I don't know. Anyway, IAAG *is* a mod, and a very active one.

MDW1954

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » November 4th, 2019, 9:38 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I hadn't known there was some official guidance about to happen - in fact I didn't know any was needed since I thought this was all cleared up last week.

LMF is getting more like Alice in Wonderland every week.

Arb,

That's the point -- we keep "clearing it up" and clarifying it, but there isn't anything in the guidance. Earlier in the year, the mods agreed to do that, and the task was assigned to me. For whatever reason, it wasn't done, and IAAG quite properly reminded me of this last week. Since then, a draft has been agreed, and is close to being incorporated into the guidance. This should be a help to people unsure of where to post.

As for Alice in Wonderland, I'm delighted. For a site that sprung into being (literally) overnight in late 2016, funded and maintained entirely by its users, and which daily adds considerable value to huge numbers of readers, your generous comparison to a minor literary classic (and one that inspired one of the best 1960s rock anthems ever) is praise indeed. Thank you. And I'm sure all my fellow mods join me in expressing those thanks.

MDW1954

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » November 4th, 2019, 9:46 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I didn't know that, and in any case all the names are in blue - there are no colours.

Arb,

But I insist on my name being in pink!

Seriously, I appreciate the job you guys (mods) do on a volunteer basis. I don't expect to always agree with your decisions, but if I feel strongly enough, I can always volunteer.....ummmm, maybe not, on reflection I agree with everything you say, always

keep at it chaps

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 4th, 2019, 9:56 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I didn't know that, and in any case all the names are in blue - there are no colours.

Yes there are....

Mods are in this dark green.
And the rest of us are in this blue.

Should have gone to specsavers? :D

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » November 4th, 2019, 10:00 pm

mc2fool wrote:

Yes there are....

Thanks, mc2fool.

I wondered about that. So, Arb, are you seeing what we're seeing...?

MDW1954

SDN123
2 Lemon pips

Postby SDN123 » November 5th, 2019, 7:21 am

Back to my OP if I may...

a) I hope that nothing I typed got monabri's post deleted from HYP-P, it is exactly the type of update that I look for on that board hope that such posts are always allowed to live there.

It seems from reading this thread that it wasn't me, good!

b) There is now no sign at all that the original thread ever existed on HYP-P, there is no cross post to it's new "home".

That has been fixed, thank-you (I think specifically thanks to MDW1954)

d) having moderators stating different views within a thread makes it very clear to me that there is little chance that a "normal" user knows where to post such information nor where to look for it.

to which MDW1954 replied:

MDW1954 wrote:No, moderators aren't disagreeing with each other, and I personally think that it is disingenuous of you to suggest that.

Well I didn't suggest that at all and I'm not sure who did. FWIW I agree that would have been disingenuous. Regardless I see that (also from MDW1954) that "The good news is that we are very close to having some official guidance about when to post on HYP Practical, and when to post on Company News." I agree that is good news which also directly address my personal concerns, so thank-you.

Regards,

SDN

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 5th, 2019, 7:49 am

MDW1954 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

Yes there are....

Thanks, mc2fool.

I wondered about that. So, Arb, are you seeing what we're seeing...?

MDW1954

I see mc2fool is in blue, but MDW looks bold black. However, looking with a magnifier and comparing it to the ordinary font, I do accept it could be greenish - but I would never have noticed otherwise. Having seen it with a magnifier, I can now agree it has a slightly off black greenish tinge. Yet, my green colour in Excel and other apps shows up very obviously.

I would say generally, my colour vision is good - but here's an interesting possibility - on aging the cornea tends to filter out blue light, which could make some greens less obvious. I therefore consulted Mrs Arb who has bionic eyes after cataract removal, and when asked, she agreed the name MDW is in black - until again I got her to look very carefully, close up, and compare with other blacks on the screen.

An interesting diversion, anyhow :)

Arb.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”