Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

S&P GLOBAL DIVIDEND ARISTOCRATS ETF - GBDV

Index tracking funds and ETFs
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: S&P GLOBAL DIVIDEND ARISTOCRATS ETF - GBDV

Postby mc2fool » November 7th, 2019, 12:07 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:A little related to a previous post I made in the IT/Funds section on IUKD. Does anyone have view on the above ETF? Taking City of London (yeah, apples v oranges etc....) as a benchmark, CITY and GBDV have the same yield yet GBDV has pretty much trounced CITY the last five years. The theme is a hands off dividend cash cow. IUKD falls short, GBDV has a world view and it seems to be beneficial versus the usual suspects strategy behind CITY.

No particular view, but, yes, it's apples vs oranges, and if one looks at the chart of GBDV since launch vs CTY, we can see that the vast majority of that "trouncing" is due to a particular event in June 2016 (yes, this is capital only) .... http://mediacharting.digitallook.com/cg ... dicator_3=

We can see from that chart that prior to June 2016 the two jiggled around each other, and from the following chart that they have done similarly so for the past 3 years. http://mediacharting.digitallook.com/cg ... dicator_3=

So, on that evidence it seems that GBDV vs CTY is a currency play, but as I say, I have no particular view, other than maybe asking what would be the harm in holding both, if they're your sort of thing. (I am curious though to note that GBDV's biggest exposure is to Canada at 21.38% vs USA 18.74% and UK 14.73%...)

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » November 7th, 2019, 4:52 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:A little related to a previous post I made in the IT/Funds section on IUKD. Does anyone have view on the above ETF? Taking City of London (yeah, apples v oranges etc....) as a benchmark, CITY and GBDV have the same yield yet GBDV has pretty much trounced CITY the last five years. The theme is a hands off dividend cash cow. IUKD falls short, GBDV has a world view and it seems to be beneficial versus the usual suspects strategy behind CITY.

Thanks.

RVF

HL's web page on GBDV for reference - https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... l-dividend

Both have been trounced by basic cap weighted world trackers. e.g. SWDA, VEVE. Reaching for extra yield has worked out to be quite expensive and not just in charges.

Hariseldon58
Lemon Slice

Postby Hariseldon58 » November 9th, 2019, 5:00 pm

From a global income perspective one might consider Vanguard All World High Dividend ETF. (VHYL)

As rightly pointed out the global market cap tracker is cheaper, pays far less dividend withholding taxes, less turnover... and has done far better over recent years.

VHYL is cheaper than GBDV, (0.29% vs 0.45%) holds 1625 stocks versus 100 and has a more diverse market cap overlay, the yield is similar. With GBDV the index yield is 4.8% vs a distribution yield of 3.6%, that’s a lot of slippage caused by taxes, costs and fees.

I quite like VHYL for its diversification benefits from the high flying stocks that have done so well, it has different regional biases than the World indexes, a value tilt. For completeness I hold a chunk of WQDS ( World Quality Yield) and the global value VVAL with a small factor tilt as well.

Return to “Passive Investing”