Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

I hope that I did not a kill HYP-P discussion (MARS)

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: I hope that I did not a kill HYP-P discussion (MARS)

Postby tjh290633 » November 5th, 2019, 9:14 am

mc2fool wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I didn't know that, and in any case all the names are in blue - there are no colours.

Yes there are....

Mods are in this dark green.
And the rest of us are in this blue.

Should have gone to specsavers? :D

It's not obvious on my mobile phone. As has been said above, if you enlarge it somewhat you can see a difference, but it is closer to bold black.

TJH

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 5th, 2019, 9:56 am

tjh290633 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I didn't know that, and in any case all the names are in blue - there are no colours.

Yes there are....

It's not obvious on my mobile phone. As has been said above, if you enlarge it somewhat you can see a difference, but it is closer to bold black.

TJH

And ditto on a PC

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 5th, 2019, 11:23 am

Arborbridge wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Yes there are....

TJH

And ditto on a PC

Black
Dark green
Blue

I grant you though, a less dark green might be better. :D

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 5th, 2019, 12:03 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:It's not obvious on my mobile phone. As has been said above, if you enlarge it somewhat you can see a difference, but it is closer to bold black.

TJH

And ditto on a PC

Black
Dark green
Blue

It would.

TJH

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 5th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Yes there are....

TJH

And ditto on a PC

Me too - I've never known this before. It just looks bold/dark to me on my laptop.

OR

Have I finally, after all these decades, tracked down the defect in my colour vision? :o

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 5th, 2019, 6:00 pm

mc2fool wrote:Black
Dark green
Blue

Yeah. To me, looks like:

Black
Less black
Blue

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 5th, 2019, 6:55 pm

XFool wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Black
Dark green
Blue

Yeah. To me, looks like:

Black
Less black
Blue

Question: could it be altered systemically to less dark green by the "authorities"?

The dark green is really just one of the range of blacks - blue black, green black, yellow black etc.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 8th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Dod101 wrote:As a fellow poster, you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I have no intention of taking 'advice' from a fellow poster as such advice/guidance is the mods prerogative and if I am overstepping the mark, I am sure that a mod will so advise me.

I was simply trying to appeal to your better nature Dod, with the hope that you might see that continued and persistent criticism is very unhelpful.

I'm sorry that I've not been successful in doing so, but I don't regret trying...

Dod is right. He's only pointing out the obvious, and if no one is apparently listening, he's being consistent to point it out again.

But he has been listened to, as evidenced by the fact that he has received replies. His opinion has not persuaded the moderators, but that's not the same thing as not having been listened to.

What seems obvious to me is that it's not reasonable to raise the point again and again and again and ... In a different thread each time, giving the appearance that it hasn't been 'officially' replied to each time unless the moderators take the time to reply again and again and again and ... And it also seems obvious to me that with the moderators being volunteers who are donating their time to the site free of charge, there is a limited supply of moderator time available and that TLF should discourage posters from wasting it by such tactics. The responses he is getting here from moderators (*) seem to me to indicate that he is starting to run into that discouragement - though it's somewhat incoherent discouragement, which I suspect is at least partly because the site rules don't actually say anything about users being expected to try to avoid wasting moderator time. (Admins/moderators: Please take that as a hint that IMHO it's not just the HYP Practical guidance that needs updating/clarification, but also the site rules.)

Basically, if Dod wants to persist with a campaign to change the moderators' policy about what belongs on HYP Practical, he should start a new thread with a suitable subject (e.g. "Which RNS discussions belong on HYP Practical and which on Company Share News") and conduct it in that thread, not scattered across a load of different threads none of whose subjects indicate that such discussion can be found on them. And when he gets replies disagreeing with him, persisting with the campaign means that he should reply properly to those points. Among other benefits, having a thread dedicated to that subject will make it easier for people to find what's been said earlier. Those people include Dod himself, as a post saying "Three months ago, I was told on this thread that the moderators were reviewing this subject, since when I have heard nothing. Any progress on that review, please?" is rather more convincing than the same thing without the emboldened phrase - and in addition the moderators are likely to be able to reply more quickly, as it's much easier for them to check up on exactly who made the commitment and what exactly they committed to.

Alternatively, if he doesn't want to persist with such a campaign, he should stop raising the point repeatedly in different threads. Or much more briefly and bluntly, about this issue he should put up or shut up!

(*) By the way, I do agree that it is hard to distinguish the colours - I can see the difference but I have to look specifically rather than just seeing it in passing. Also, while my eyesight isn't perfect and basically never has been, it's pretty good and so far (touch wood!) hasn't deteriorated much with age, so I'm not saying that everybody should be able to see the colour difference, just that it is there... It could certainly do with being made more obvious.

Gengulphus

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 8th, 2019, 5:00 pm

But, Gengulphus, I am not trying to promote anything, just voicing my opinion. I am not much bothered whether I am listened to or not, but it makes me feel better. It seems that the mods must be having difficulty in agreeing new guidelines, at least it is taking them a long while to publish them They have been promised for some weeks now. I appreciate that they are doing the job voluntarily and the delay does not bother me one whit.

Dod

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 9th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Dod101 wrote:But, Gengulphus, I am not trying to promote anything, just voicing my opinion. I am not much bothered whether I am listened to or not, but it makes me feel better. ...

Why you are doing what you are doing doesn't alter the facts that you are doing it and it is presenting the moderators with an unpleasant-either-way "Reply in every new thread in which it's raised or appear not to be listening" choice, and readers with either being misled into thinking your comments are being ignored, or a none-too-easy search if they suspect there might be previous moderator replies and want to find them.

This site depends on its users taking some care not to make using it unnecessarily awkward for other users, and having your comments about this issue in a single thread would make it considerably easier for both moderators and ordinary readers, while still allowing you the option to make yourself feel better by adding to them.

Gengulphus

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 9th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Gengulphus wrote:[... and having your comments about this issue in a single thread would make it considerably easier for both moderators and ordinary readers, while still allowing you the option to make yourself feel better by adding to them.

There are at least two other open thread on here (the Biscuit Bar) where the issue has been raised and neither are closed.

HYP Practical Board - Company News items allowed 27 Mar 2019
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16968#top

it's raining deletions 26 Apr 2019
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17398#top

The views expressed here viewtopic.php?p=217529#p217529 make it clear what Dod101's views on the Company Share news board were at the time. If it weren't for the subject header there, that might have been a good place to continue. Maybe Dod101 could continue on the first thread above, if it would help to make him feel better.

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » November 9th, 2019, 1:19 pm

All I'll say is that I use a lot of forums, financial and otherwise.

The level of moderation here is "puzzling" to say the least.

I'm sure there's a background to it but it's slightly odd feeling you need a calculator and a rulebook in order to work out if your thread or post is likely to be pulled or viewed as "off topic".

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » November 9th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Aminatidi wrote:All I'll say is that I use a lot of forums, financial and otherwise.

The level of moderation here is "puzzling" to say the least.

I'm sure there's a background to it but it's slightly odd feeling you need a calculator and a rulebook in order to work out if your thread or post is likely to be pulled or viewed as "off topic".

To me, it's not the level of moderation that's puzzling or causes problems. It's the particularly specific/restrictive and difficult to understand rules relating to "HYP", which I suspect many posters still don't fully understand and thus inadvertently don't adhere to. (I do understand them, but it is very evident that the barriers/rules are regularly crossed over and indeed the flow of posts tends to encourage digressions.).

I don't doubt that some posters, particularly newer ones, may well not adequately appreciate/understand the difference between the specifically named "HYP" portfolios (with their strict criteria) and for which the HYP - Practical board is devoted, as compared with on the other hand, the general concept of a high or higher yielding portfolio (which people often refer to as HYP), - despite various rules & regulations which endeavour to highlight the distinction. As things stand and with human nature being what it is, I think that's inevitable. Perhaps the former could be referred to as a SFHYP (a Strict Foolish HYP) ;) .

I thought the introduction of the "Company News Shares" board was a good idea, but inevitably there is an overlap of what gets discussed (in topics) on that board, as compared with topics of the same title on the HYP Practical board, e.g. Unilever or Glaxo results posts, which human nature being what it is, is again a difficult one to avoid.

It will be interesting to see what any new updated rules say, noting that some posters probably don't bother to read rules before posting anyway.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 9th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Aminatidi wrote:I'm sure there's a background to it...
Yes, before the Company News board existed some people frequently posted things on the HYP-Practical board that didn't meet the guidelines of that board. This upset other people because the board is intended for a specific strategy-set.

So we provided the Company News board as an alternative location for many such posts.

We now have the situation that some users still want to be able to discuss whatever they like on HYP-Practical.

Chris

Aminatidi
Lemon Slice

Postby Aminatidi » November 9th, 2019, 2:20 pm

csearle wrote:
Aminatidi wrote:I'm sure there's a background to it...
Yes, before the Company News board existed some people frequently posted things on the HYP-Practical board that didn't meet the guidelines of that board. This upset other people because the board is intended for a specific strategy-set.

So we provided the Company News board as an alternative location for many such posts.

We now have the situation that some users still want to be able to discuss whatever they like on HYP-Practical.

Chris

Is it radical to suggest simply ignore them?

A guideline is a guideline.

The people here are most helpful but as a newcomer I literally feel like I need a slide rule to know where I can post on here.

I get it, moderators have a difficult job, but surely life's too short to get wound up by that stuff.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » November 9th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Aminatidi wrote:
Is it radical to suggest simply ignore them?

LOL, thought you were being serious for a moment!

Some people only visit the HYP Board in the hope that someone has broken the rules, it makes their day! :lol:

Walrus101
Lemon Pip

Postby Walrus101 » November 10th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
I was writing as a poster Dod, and the discussion has been done to death and has come to a conclusion, so primarily as a poster and user of these boards I do take the view that your undermining of the new approach with continued side-shots is definitely unhelpful.

As a fellow poster, you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I have no intention of taking 'advice' from a fellow poster as such advice/guidance is the mods prerogative and if I am overstepping the mark, I am sure that a mod will so advise me.

I was simply trying to appeal to your better nature Dod, with the hope that you might see that continued and persistent criticism is very unhelpful.

I'm sorry that I've not been successful in doing so, but I don't regret trying...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

IAAG most of what you write I find to be very sensible. I understand why the moderators have done what they have done but I cant agree with it. I barely use the site anymore.

I dont think it is right to ask people who disagree with the approach to just keep quiet.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » November 10th, 2019, 10:18 pm

Walrus101 wrote:I dont think it is right to ask people who disagree with the approach to just keep quiet.
A poster identifying another poster's sideshots as being unhelpful is a whole lot different to asking people to just keep quiet. Chris.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 11th, 2019, 12:24 pm

I'm afraid I couldn't see anything that looked remotely like green on my laptop; just looks like an emboldened black on here. Wouldn't it make life easier if you used red or yellow or any other colour which couldn't be confused with black.

I don't want to spark off another argument, but it would be helpful if Main Market headline could be extended to include Aim shares under company news. As I have raised this before, hopefully this will be dealt with under the new guidelines. If not there, where else should one include some news item which relates to a share which is no longer HYP (or may never have been) but is likely to be of interest to some of your audience, e.g. today's trading statement for Greggs which has generated a increase in price of over l5% this morning, of no interest to HYPers but great interest to some of us (one of my largest and most profitable holdings).

Finally, I was deluged with emails from TLF this morning about replies, quotes and PMs and when I clicked on them I think in every case I had already read them on Friday when I noticed the notifications number at the top of my screen had risen and clicked on the new messages. When I do that, does it not send a message to the system so that delayed emails don't get sent? Whilst I appreciate the service, it did waste a lot of precious time this morning. I could ignore the emails and just go straight to notifications but am worried that if I don't click on the link in the email and view the message (again) I won't get notifications in future. I should appreciate clarification on this.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 11th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Deleting MY posts....?

https://gph.is/g/ajyDRG9

;)

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”