Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Raptor teasing cats

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Raptor teasing cats

Postby Rhyd6 » November 24th, 2019, 5:55 pm

A raptor sat on the wall of the old pigsty eating a rabbit in full view of the conservatory where the cats gazed on in anger. The three of them sat in a row looking at this dreadful spectacle and were most annoyed when we wouldn't allow them to get to the cat flap in the utility room. They looked out and loudly chunnered and complained. The hawk kindly left them the skin and bones and any bits it didn't fancy.

R6

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Raptor teasing cats

Postby sg31 » November 24th, 2019, 8:59 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:A raptor sat on the wall of the old pigsty eating a rabbit in full view of the conservatory where the cats gazed on in anger. The three of them sat in a row looking at this dreadful spectacle and were most annoyed when we wouldn't allow them to get to the cat flap in the utility room. They looked out and loudly chunnered and complained. The hawk kindly left them the skin and bones and any bits it didn't fancy.

R6

Please give it my address. I've got lots of rabbits that like a stroll in my garden and a bite to eat from my wifes plants.

The local cats are useless, as so called farm cats they should be embarrassed.

Lot's of buzzards around here but they only want the baby rabbits.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » December 2nd, 2019, 10:04 am

Out late small but vicious ex-farmcat was once observed trying to drag through the cat-flap a rabbit larger than himself that understandably had become jammed part-way through. I'm not sure it it was dead at the start but it was surely so after it had made a successful entrance.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 2nd, 2019, 11:09 am

Our tabbies were twins, and it was quite normal for one of them to bring home a rabbit, eat half of it, and then present the remaining half to her sister as a gift. Everything would get eaten except for the lower intestine and the tail, which presumably didn't contain enough meat to be worth the bother?

Rats, on the other hand, would be eaten whole. And one of the cats had a curious habit of picking up frogs, very delicately, and transporting them to another part of the garden before letting them go. Rather like boy scouts accompanying little old ladies across the road, regardless of whether or not they actually wanted to cross over? The frogs would protest loudly at the indignity. :lol:

BJ

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Postby oldapple » December 2nd, 2019, 10:39 pm

This cat is the kindest I've ever seen, no nasty surprises.

https://youtu.be/bD0SBTZc5lo

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 22nd, 2019, 8:34 pm

oldapple wrote:This cat is the kindest I've ever seen, no nasty surprises.

https://youtu.be/bD0SBTZc5lo

From a close look and the comments, it appears that the rat is half dead and the cat is just putting it to one side while he finishes the food in the bowl.

Steve

Return to “The Natural World”