Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

HYP Accumulation Units at Highest Value To-Date!

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: HYP Accumulation Units at Highest Value To-Date!

Postby Lootman » December 2nd, 2019, 6:50 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Lootman wrote:It's good that you are content with the income. Since you also mentioned capital growth I deemed it helpful for readers to see how your results compared with an index approach.

you were not comparing my results to "an index approach" rather you have introduced a comparison with two specific indices, only one of which would have beaten my results.

No, two beat your numbers as you admit here:
Lootman wrote:The S&P 500 was around 1,350 in February 2012 and is now around 3,150. An increase of 133%

The MSCI-ACWI global index was around 45 in February 2012 and is now around 78. An increase of 73%.

The gain in your income units was 31.8%

Both the indices I cited are very broad, established indices that might be reasonable choices for an investor over the same period. Indeed I chose them, although I had other strategies as well.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » December 2nd, 2019, 6:59 pm

Lootman wrote:Both the indices I cited are very broad, established indices that might be reasonable choices for an investor over the same period.

As part of an HYP? I doubt it!

Ian

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 2nd, 2019, 7:01 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Lootman wrote:Both the indices I cited are very broad, established indices that might be reasonable choices for an investor over the same period.

Surely not, but you were making claims for the capital performance of your income units, so I felt a broader set of benchmark data might spark discussion, as it has.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » December 2nd, 2019, 8:37 pm

Lootman wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:

Surely not, but you were making claims for the capital performance of your income units, so I felt a broader set of benchmark data might spark discussion, as it has.

Broader? Two indices? Two foreign currency indices?

Is that the best you can do?

Sorry to repeat myself but it appears that one person at least is yet to understand:
IanTHughes wrote:Nor have I ever claimed that HYP is the best and only method of achieving what are my investments aims of a high and growing income. All I have said is that, so far, I am content with the returns that I have achieved towards those income aims

Ian

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 2nd, 2019, 8:43 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Lootman wrote:
IanTHughes wrote:As part of an HYP? I doubt it!

Broader? Two indices? Two foreign currency indices?

Actually I discounted the FX gains that would have made the returns on those two indices even better for a UK-based investor..

That said, the currency an index is denominated in is immaterial, as I feel sure you know. It's the currency of the underlying that matters.

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » December 2nd, 2019, 9:06 pm

Lootman wrote:That said, the currency an index is denominated in is immaterial, as I feel sure you know. It's the currency of the underlying that matters.

Are you suggesting perhaps that the underlying of the S&P 500 is not predominantly USD? Really?

Ian

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 2nd, 2019, 9:24 pm

IanTHughes wrote:
Lootman wrote:That said, the currency an index is denominated in is immaterial, as I feel sure you know. It's the currency of the underlying that matters.

Are you suggesting perhaps that the underlying of the S&P 500 is not predominantly USD? Really?

No, I was suggesting that the currency denomination of an index is not material.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 2nd, 2019, 10:21 pm

Moderator Message:
In the time honoured phrase:

This correspondence must now cease.

The argument between you two has run its course, and I am locking this topic.

TJH

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”