Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

ArbHYPacc progress

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

ArbHYPacc progress

Postby Arborbridge » December 4th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Here's a chart showing my progress from the point of view of total return. I've rebased it to both the FTSE250 TR and the FTSE100 TR. I made excellent progress up until mid 2015, then it all started going a bit lacklustre and now the FTSE curves have caught me up. Interestingly, when the referendum happened and the stock market started racing ahead, was when my troubles began to show up.

My curve has flats spots where I haven't bothered to record a reading - this is because I am really only interested in the general progress rather than daily progress. One might say, I'm not that obsessive.

To forestall any comments such as "I thought we were only interested in income" I would point out that this is the first time I have posted my Acc unit chart in ten years of HYPing.

Arb.

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: ArbHYPacc progress

Postby monabri » December 4th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Better than Woodford and above the "references" ! It will be interesting to see how it pans out in the next few years when we enter the paradise of Brexitness (or not) and if value comes back into play.

First time in 10 years ... well don't make a habit of it! :lol:

p.s. 10 years ?

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » December 4th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Here's a chart showing my progress from the point of view of total return. I've rebased it to both the FTSE250 TR and the FTSE100 TR. I made excellent progress up until mid 2015, then it all started going a bit lacklustre and now the FTSE curves have caught me up. Interestingly, when the referendum happened and the stock market started racing ahead, was when my troubles began to show up.

My curve has flats spots where I haven't bothered to record a reading - this is because I am really only interested in the general progress rather than daily progress. One might say, I'm not that obsessive.

To forestall any comments such as "I thought we were only interested in income" I would point out that this is the first time I have posted my Acc unit chart in ten years of HYPing.

Thanks for that and please, no need to forestall what are in any case rather moronic comments.

It appears that your HYP has behaved very much like my own, although I have to admit to my being just a tad more obsessive about it :D Also your HYP has been going for a few years longer, well done!

So, thanks for this update and please do it again some time, no need to wait a full 10 years :D

Ian

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 4th, 2019, 6:53 pm

monabri wrote:
p.s. 10 years ?

I lied :lol:

10 years of unitisation will be on Jan 1st 2020. Although I started building my HYP at the end of 2006, I didn't know about unitising then. It was only when I considered my HYP "complete", January 2010 that I started the count. "Complete"?! that's a joke. :roll: Like children, you always worry even when they are grown up!

The next few years will interesting, as you say, but it is a Never Ending Story - ending only in one's own demise.
With all forms of investment, by the time you have found the answer, it's too late - although I have to say that of all the methods I've tried, HYP seems the nearest to long term usefulness, in my view.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » December 4th, 2019, 6:56 pm

IanTHughes wrote:Thanks for that and please, no need to forestall what are in any case rather moronic comments.

It appears that your HYP has behaved very much like my own, although I have to admit to my being just a tad more obsessive about it :D Also your HYP has been going for a few years longer, well done!

So, thanks for this update and please do it again some time, no need to wait a full 10 years :D

Ian

Yes, I had noticed some broad similarities, which is not surprising, but I believe your return has been significantly better, for which I bow in your honour. You've managed to avoid some of my clangers, I guess, even though you have gone for quite high yielders. I think your weeding out process must be better than mine.

Arb.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » December 4th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Arb,

You've been ahead of the FTSE 350TR and FTSE 100TR the whole time, which is no mean feat. "Lacklustre" is relative: you're still ahead, just by a smaller margin.

MDW1954

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 5th, 2019, 10:26 am

Arb, That's a promising return and high and rising income to boot, as we often hear 80% of fund managers fail to beat the index and they want a fair slice of cash for doing it too.
https://moneyweek.com/516243/active-fun ... investing/
I've bought ETFs tracking international markets in my SIPP for global coverage away from my UK HYP but also because of the idea that I'm not special and can't beat an index consistently.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”