Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby vrdiver » June 20th, 2019, 12:07 am

Bottom right - fuel gauge - central icon under the curve - image of a petrol pump with a triangle pointing to the left, indicating the fuel filler cap is on the left of the vehicle.

On mine there is no arrow (or triangle). The indication comes from the graphic, with the fuel line on the petrol pump being the indicator. The car shows it to be on the right (which it is) and the motorhome shows it to be on the left (again, which it is).

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 20th, 2019, 10:20 pm

vrdiver wrote:Bottom right - fuel gauge - central icon under the curve - image of a petrol pump with a triangle pointing to the left, indicating the fuel filler cap is on the left of the vehicle.

Oh right! Thanks. I thought the funny looking orange thing on the left was the petrol pump icon. But that seemed to have something on both sides.
I now see it is showing the car doors from above - I think.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 21st, 2019, 4:38 am

vrdiver wrote:On mine there is no arrow (or triangle). The indication comes from the graphic, with the fuel line on the petrol pump being the indicator. The car shows it to be on the right (which it is) and the motorhome shows it to be on the left (again, which it is).

Neither works in my campervan. No arrow, and the fuel line on the pump graphic is on the wrong side.

(Peugeot Boxer 2010, fuel cap on left.)

Scott

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » June 21st, 2019, 12:01 pm

swill453 wrote:Neither works in my campervan. No arrow, and the fuel line on the pump graphic is on the wrong side.

(Peugeot Boxer 2010, fuel cap on left.)

Mine's a Boxer, 2017. Wonder when they adopted the protocol?

Alternatively - you've been fueling it wrong! :lol:

VRD

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 8th, 2019, 8:07 pm

A friend of my mum lives in Saskatchewan, near the wonderfully-named 'Moose Jaw'
I didn't realise it was so far south...
(and don't you mean latitude?!)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 8th, 2019, 8:16 pm

Snorvey wrote:The wife has a pal who lives in Saskatchewan, Canada. Currently it's minus 20 and the monkeys there are fearing for their nuts. It's forecast to warm up to minus ten by Thursday.

Saskatchewan is longitude 52.9399° N

Currently in the NE of Scotland it's about 6 degrees, rising to 12 degrees on Tuesday.

Lossiemouth is longitude 57.7216° N

Sometimes we don't know how lucky we are.

God bless the North Atlantic Drift

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_Current

My niece and her family live on a farm in Saskatchewan. When the temperature really drops, the school bus does not operate, and the kids have a holiday. In such temperatures they cannot risk a bus breaking down with the children as passengers.
And returning to Caithness (Scotland) - my wife tells a tale of a gamekeeper's son who had to board in Wick during the week to go to school - since his home was deep in the Caithness outback. He went home at weekends, but his fear was that when the snow arrived he could be marooned in Wick for the winter. So as soon as he saw a fleck of snow, he was up and away - and only returned to school in late spring.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 8th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Just remember "Northerly latitudes" and you will never get confused again, ever.
I used to get confused because the 'lines of latitude' run east/west (which makes sense of course as, for example, 53 degrees North is a circle around the earth parallel to the equator)
Longitude, how far round you are, is much more difficult to measure. Thankfully Harrison's impressive maritime cock came to the rescue in the 18th century

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 8th, 2019, 11:12 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Thankfully Harrison's impressive maritime cock came to the rescue in the 18th century

Was that like Melville's moby dick? :D

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 9th, 2019, 12:38 am

Snorvey wrote:It's one of the tudes anyway.

An attitude for those who lack aptitude and would speak platitudes. 8-)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 9th, 2019, 9:17 am

Snorvey wrote:The wife has a pal who lives in Saskatchewan, Canada. Currently it's minus 20 and the monkeys there are fearing for their nuts. It's forecast to warm up to minus ten by Thursday.

Saskatchewan is longitude 52.9399° N

Currently in the NE of Scotland it's about 6 degrees, rising to 12 degrees on Tuesday.

Lossiemouth is longitude 57.7216° N

I came across this rather thought-provoking map, which transposes North American cities onto the European map and vice versa. https://brilliantmaps.com/cities-transposed-latitude/ . It shows, among other things, that Berlin is pretty much on a tude with London and Amsterdam. And that most Canadian cities are of French or Mediterranean tudiness.

All of which would come as a bit of a shock to us softy Brits. When I was studying in Berlin, the thermometer hit minus twenty and stayed there for two weeks. And the ice on the city's lakes eventually reached two feet in thickness. (The anglers were drilling holes with scaffold poles and fishing like eskimos.) It's the land mass that determines how cold it gets in winter, not just the northerliness. That and the prevailing east wind, which comes straight across the Siberian steppes to freeze the bones. No wonder the Poles like it so much in southern Britain. :lol:

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 9th, 2019, 10:44 am

bungeejumper wrote:All of which would come as a bit of a shock to us softy Brits. When I was studying in Berlin, the thermometer hit minus twenty and stayed there for two weeks.

That's going to happen anywhere continental: I recollect the year I moved to Bavaria the whole of November passed without the thermometer ever rising to freezing point. Even as far south as the med: where I lived near Rome had - despite being pretty maritime - a colder (though shorter) winter than here in southwest England.
No wonder the Poles like it so much in southern Britain. :lol:
BJ

Clearly meant with humour, but of course in reality people with real winters have houses much better-built for them. My Swedish granny felt colder in the mild Sussex winter than back home.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 9th, 2019, 2:10 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:No wonder the Poles like it so much in southern Britain. :lol:
BJ

Clearly meant with humour, but of course in reality people with real winters have houses much better-built for them. My Swedish granny felt colder in the mild Sussex winter than back home.

Fair point, obviously. My own crummy little top-floor flat in Berlin had triple glazing on the windows, which had been there ever since the block was built in the 1880s. And the building had had practically no maintenance or improvement since then - as was apparent from the fact that the centre of the block had been blown away by an Allied bombing raid in 1945 and still hadn't been cleared up after 26 years of peace. ;)

Two memories stand out about the cold. The first was that you could get badly frost-burned around the ears if you were stupid to try and walk around in minus 20C. Your extremities would immediately turn into heat-emitting radiators, and the outward passage of your body heat into the air could be just as physically damaging as the inward transfer of heat would be if you accidentally touched a hotplate. After half a mile the dangers of simply slipping into exhaustion and hypothermia were very real. The locals warned us about it, and they weren't kidding. Even the vegetarians wore fur boots and mufflers.

The second recollection was that, after two weeks of minus 20C, the footpaths had turned into three or four inches of coal-ice. Successive layers of frost and soot, then more frost and more soot, with no thaw for weeks on end, had left you walking on a frozen black lasagne that took more than a month to disperse. And all this a few miles north of Watford. :D

BJ

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » December 9th, 2019, 2:53 pm

What @Snovey didn't say is that his odometer was on 76,000 miles before he purchased the 'paint stirrer' drill attachment. :P

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 9th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Snorvey wrote:To be fair, the thought of being trapped in Wick at anytime of the year would scare the hell out of me.

My (now) wife discussed this problem with a friend when they both travelled south to go to University. What would they do with a boyfriend from distant lands that they might meet at University? How would they best introduce him to the delights of Wick? It was agreed that it was the journey up to Wick through much blasted heath (maybe that included Lossie) that would put them off. So I was flown up for my first visit to that gem of the far North. It clearly worked - we have been married for over 50 years.
Now, being a supporter of the Scorries, I have to feel pity on Lossie, languishing at the bottom of the league, just above Fort William :D .
And back to the thread - Wick is at Latitude 58.44 degrees North. That is about 7 degrees north of London, and less than 3 degrees south of Anchorage, Alaska.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » December 9th, 2019, 5:03 pm

scotia wrote: It was agreed that it was the journey up to Wick through much blasted heath (maybe that included Lossie) that would put them off. .

I cannot imagine anywhere to start from, where getting to Wick would involve passing through Lossie. Unless you are very,very lost. Or you really like beaches.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 9th, 2019, 6:51 pm

When I was doing my National Service, a comrade hailed from Helmsdale. He used to get 2 extra days travelling time on a 36 hour pass, because he could only get to Perth on the first day. A similar problem coming back south. Not sure how far he could get, but somewhere in the Scottish lowlands, I fancy.

TJH

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 9th, 2019, 8:55 pm

genou wrote:
scotia wrote: It was agreed that it was the journey up to Wick through much blasted heath (maybe that included Lossie) that would put them off. .

I cannot imagine anywhere to start from, where getting to Wick would involve passing through Lossie. Unless you are very,very lost. Or you really like beaches.

We used to drive north from Central Scotland, avoiding the old A9 with its interminable crawling convoys as far as was possible. You could go up to Crieff, through the Sma Glen, and pass Trinafour before you were forced onto the A9. You could take to the back roads again at Ruthven Barracks, and get up to Aviemore - where we usually cracked and continued north on the A9 to Inverness. But you can continue via Coylumbridge to Grantown, then on to Elgin and the beach at Lossie (for a picnic?), before turning west to Inverness. You could further avoid the A9 by taking the Kessock Ferry (which we did once) and get back on the A9 at Conon Bridge. Then there was the shortcut over Struie Hill, and onto Bonar Bridge - and after that there were no further detours.
When we were young and unencumbered with kids, we could make it a 2-day trip, and we took time to visit points of interest, including Walkers in Aberlour (who made our wedding cake), so we did get close to Lossie!

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 9th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Snorvey wrote:Bloody hell.
What were you driving? Cattle?

No - initially a rather elderly Ford Anglia with a rather limited performance - so there was no escape from sitting in a long slow A9 convoy.
In later years with young children (and a more modern car) we drove up overnight, but had to top up with petrol on route. I recollect there was a garage in Carrbridge with un-manned pumps which dispensed petrol on being fed with fifty pence pieces.
But with significant road improvements and the bridging of the Beauly, Cromarty and Dornoch Firths the journey became less taxing in daylight hours.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » December 9th, 2019, 10:05 pm

tjh290633 wrote:When I was doing my National Service, a comrade hailed from Helmsdale. He used to get 2 extra days travelling time on a 36 hour pass, because he could only get to Perth on the first day. A similar problem coming back south. Not sure how far he could get, but somewhere in the Scottish lowlands, I fancy.

TJH

In winter time (around 48 years ago), we used to take the train from Edinburgh or Glasgow to Inverness, then we had a substantial wait before we could board a train to Wick. It took all day, whereas my parents could fly from Scotland to Vancouver quicker that we could travel (by rail) from Edinburgh or Glasgow to Wick. Before the dramatic rise in Oil prices (around 1974?) flying between Wick and Edinburgh (with a landing in Aberdeen) was almost as cheap as using the railway, but it could be unreliable. I recollect waiting at Edinburgh Airport for my wife (then my girl friend) to arrive back after the University Easter vacation. Fog prevented it landing, so it diverted to Renfrew (Glasgow), where again fog was a problem, so it continued to Prestwick, and circled, waiting for the fog to disperse - with the warning from the captain that he may need to divert to Belfast. They (eventually) landed at Prestwick, and a bus took them to Edinburgh.

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » December 10th, 2019, 6:28 am

Snorvey wrote:(and don't you mean latitude?!)

Probably. I always get then mixed up.

It's one of the tudes anyway.

Latitude has an 'a' in it. 'a' for 'across'.

You're welcome.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”