Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Travel Insurance Question

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
servodude
Lemon Half

Travel Insurance Question

Postby servodude » March 17th, 2020, 3:15 am

Here's a hypothetical scenario:

Imagine you have taken out sufficient travel insurance for a trip of 6 weeks
- but something unforseen happens worldwide during that time that prevents you being able to travel home at the intended time
- this means your trip becomes extended beyond the end of your insured period

would you be covered by your insurance if e.g. you caught a nasty flu like thing that required treatment after your original departure date but before you were able to get home?

- sd

dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Travel Insurance Question

Postby dealtn » March 17th, 2020, 9:07 am

servodude wrote:Here's a hypothetical scenario:

- but something unforseen happens worldwide during that time that prevents you being able to travel home at the intended time

would you be covered by your insurance if e.g. you caught a nasty flu like thing that required treatment after your original departure date but before you were able to get home?

- sd

Hypothetically you could always look at the policy document for an answer, or contact the provider.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » March 17th, 2020, 9:42 am

There are no generic answers for travel insurance because every policy is different. :(
So yes, read your policy.

Gryff

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » March 17th, 2020, 9:55 am

- sd

Your insurance should cover you for situations that arise whilst you are away on holiday and if they are an insured risk then that should include treatment, hospitalisation along with any resultant delay in your return, arising from that particular insured event. The exact cover would depend on your particular policy.

What it wouldn't cover you for, is if you decided that you wanted to delay your return, because of other events or reasons.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » March 17th, 2020, 10:29 am

- sd

You ask an interesting question.

I am not an expert on insurance but I think most people find it difficult to assess the risk they are insuring and one has to think “back to front” when choosing a policy.

So when buying travel insurance you have to think “what is the worst financial situation I could get myself into?”.

In your example, if you are ill it could be 10 weeks hospital care somewhere across the world with a relative staying nearby and then a private medical jet to fly you home.

That’s quite easy to cover and many firms will give you a quote. But you might think the cover is far too expensive. So hypothetically you think - why buy a Rolls Royce policy :shock: ?

So you as the purchaser then decide whether to buy a Mercedes, Ford or second hand old-banger quality policy.

You then enter into a legal contract with the insurer.

If you have bought an old-banger policy it will be very clear from the policy document that you don’t have Rolls Royce cover. And once you go on holiday it’s too late to change your hypothetical car. If you hypothetically break down on the hard shoulder, you have to get yourself home :( .

Hope this is helpful

regards

Howard

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 17th, 2020, 11:55 am

According to my travel insurer, unless you have added on cover for "Travel Disruption", you are not covered. I was under the impression that I was, but looking further at the small print, it appears not if it is Government mandated that thou shalt not travel.

TJH

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 17th, 2020, 12:51 pm

Thanks all,
- as I said it's only hypothetical at this stage (it's not my travel insurance)
- but I'll see if I can get a look at the policy docs just in case (I know that terrorism was an option they chose not to include)

All the best
-sd

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 30th, 2020, 11:41 pm

Finally got confirmation from "Planet Earth" last night that cover is automatically extended until they (hypothetically at the moment) return to the UK

Which is a great relief all round

- sd

Return to “Airport Lounge”