Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby bungeejumper » March 19th, 2020, 6:14 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:The facebook page for Pwllheli contained several references to holidaymakers and people with second homes staying away. Some posts were urging caution as so many locals rely on holiday makers for their livlihood but others were adamant that they should be told to stay away.

Indeed so: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-51937753

Londoners still have a fair way to go before they'll be as loathed as the Parisians are in la France profonde. Their manners, their cultural detachment from the countryside in general, and their general sense of entitlement are as nothing compared with the way the Parigos behave in the French provinces.

I once spent half an hour chatting to a French farmer in his field about politics, the wartime nazi occupation of his village, and all sorts of stuff, before he turned to me, slightly mystified by my accent, and asked: "Vous etes Parisien?" I was quite chuffed by his confusion really. It was only somewhat later that I realised that he might not have meant it in an entirely complimentary sense? :)

I'd say there's a real possibility that this virus may reactivate some very old town-versus-country scores in rural France. Mind you, if it takes the paysans' minds off the British and the memory of the Hundred Years' War, it might not be such a bad thing. ;)

BJ

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » March 19th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:You don't have to go to France to see examples of locals not welcoming incomers. We're due to go to the Llyn Peninsula for a couple of weeks in May and I was checking the situation re shops etc. The facebook page for Pwllheli contained several references to holidaymakers and people with second homes staying away. Some posts were urging caution as so many locals rely on holiday makers for their livlihood but others were adamant that they should be told to stay away.

R6

Royston Vasey - This is a local shop for local people.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » March 19th, 2020, 6:52 pm

kiloran wrote:Why would londoners go to France?

--kiloran ;)

Why would France allow them in? ;)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 19th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Just been talking to a friend - apparently Rick Stein's places in Padstow are fully booked due to all the London second-homers fleeing to the South West.

If any of the Islington set try heading for Shropshire, they'll end up incinerated in a giant wicker man. We don't mess about.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Upside - a constructive look at events as they unfold

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 19th, 2020, 7:43 pm

I popped to Sainsburys at lunch time today.

The shelves were bare. Aisle after aisle.

Then I arrived at my special little place - the "Free From" aisle - and it was rammed with all my favourite stuff :roll:

I'd recommend age related lactose intolerance to anyone today 8-)

I managed some rocky road and a bag of chocolate raisins. Yummy.

My normal trip to Derby every day is now about 45 minutes shorter each way :shock:

AiYn'U

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » March 19th, 2020, 8:11 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Just been talking to a friend - apparently Rick Stein's places in Padstow are fully booked due to all the London second-homers fleeing to the South West.

Yes, there was an interesting article in The Times today (sorry, I can't link as it's paywall-protected) saying that wealthy Londoners are desperate to leave the Great Wen and are offering country bumpkins up to £50k per month to rent their humble - but virus-free - hovels.

At that price I could be tempted. The first month's rent alone would pay for a decent camper van, and my new tenants would be more than welcome to infest my hovel with their poxy viruses, as I'd be quite happy to stay away for several months, fishing the more remote waters of the Kingdom.

By the time I returned any remaining viruses would long since have expired, and I could resume occupation with at least some of my financial losses restored. :D

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 19th, 2020, 8:41 pm

£50k a month? That's £49.2k more than my rent. I'm going to sub-let...

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » March 19th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:You don't have to go to France to see examples of locals not welcoming incomers. We're due to go to the Llyn Peninsula for a couple of weeks in May and I was checking the situation re shops etc. The facebook page for Pwllheli contained several references to holidaymakers and people with second homes staying away. Some posts were urging caution as so many locals rely on holiday makers for their livlihood but others were adamant that they should be told to stay away.

R6
I've got a week booked in Newquay mid April. I've no intention of going. I'm steering clear of towns for now.

I can understand it from both sides. As a local I wouldn't appreciate the virus being brought in by holiday makers ( I know it's probably here already but I can understand the thought process. On the other hand if I was a city dweller and had a place in the country I'd want to be there away from the crowds and hopefully able to grow my own food if need be.

As a city dweller I'd suggest I'd go into isolation for 2 weeks when I arrived to avoid any possibility of spreading anything. Probably wouldn't pacify the haters though.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » March 19th, 2020, 10:20 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
If any of the Islington set try heading for Shropshire, they'll end up incinerated in a giant wicker man. We don't mess about.

It's the Brummies we've got to worry about. Pitchforks at the ready.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » March 19th, 2020, 11:01 pm

Sq31. we live in the middle of nowhere as it is. If we so wished we could go weeks without seeing anyone but I'm a sociable soul, though OH couldn't give a damn about people as long as he's got a computer to hand. We'll go on our hols and as long as OH keeps his mouth well and truly shut we'll be fine. I'm a Welsh speaker and will join in the condemnation of "foreigners" with the best of them. I'll pretend OH is deaf ----- we're taking the dog but no problem there as she's bi-lingual.

R6

thebarns
2 Lemon pips

Postby thebarns » March 19th, 2020, 11:18 pm

I think the only semi reliable way to measure the oncoming train is to look at the rate and number of deaths - ok, these stats can be manipulated and open to interpretation, but certainly less so when comparing to a country’s alleged number of confirmed cases, which is a work of fiction worldwide in terms of real cases.

The FT has a daily chart and the U.K. is only behind Spain on the rate of deaths as measured by increasing numbers over a period of time. So ahead of Italy and China. The U S is rapidly firing up that chart as well.

I think London will be the first to collapse ( as in their medical system within 2-3 weeks max).

The complacency in this country from some is staggering.

A true tale from my son who just came back from University this week - he is the hard at it partying type of student and gave it large last Thursday, Friday and Saturday with 3 nights in a row with gatherings at halls of residence followed by trips to nightclubs each night, packed to the rafters as they astutely assessed a nationwide ban may be coming.

So in my head, I had him down as high risk lifestyle potential of picking up the virus given that he is at a large city University (not London thank goodness).

So picked him up from the station - hosed him with Dettol - when we got home, marched him straight up the stairs and after a discussion from a safe distance, explained that he was officially being self isolated by father in his room, family bathroom and a small study that he uses to play his x box.

He seemed absolutely fine and happy with the requests as well as us running around after his food and drink requirements !

So two days after he’d been home, we got into a conversation (through his door) that one of his flat mates on returning home had also been self isolated by his parents at home, again I thought sensible with an abundance of caution. Neither of these two lads put up much of an objection which I found heartening and mature.

Then yesterday I asked him about another one of his flat mates who had further to travel to get home. I asked how he was and were his parents doing something similar.

“No dad, he’s still in our flat in the halls at University. Oh, did I forget to tell you. He actually hasn’t been feeling too well - fever, cough, headache and aching limbs - so he told the University and they have slapped a stay away notice on our flat door indicating that someone in the flat is self isolating.”

One can’t be too careful with these rampant teenagers - what my son doesn’t yet know, is that his intended 7 day isolation in our house, will be increased to 14 !!!!!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 19th, 2020, 11:19 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Just been talking to a friend - apparently Rick Stein's places in Padstow are fully booked due to all the London second-homers fleeing to the South West.

Yes, there was an interesting article in The Times today (sorry, I can't link as it's paywall-protected) saying that wealthy Londoners are desperate to leave the Great Wen and are offering country bumpkins up to £50k per month to rent their humble - but virus-free - hovels.

Fascinating. I now have such a hovel, would be delighted to rent it out out to such a tenant. Thatched, chicken coop, virus-free and everything!

Happily move back onto one of my lovely botes...

Fast train into Paddington, 300 yds from station. Offers over £40k a month, PM me!

chrissyr
2 Lemon pips

Re: Upside - a constructive look at events as they unfold

Postby chrissyr » March 19th, 2020, 11:28 pm

Must admit I did find walking around Tesco today did Inspire.

Not much left so bought more veg to eat and missus had to buy a different colour hair dye. More fibre and different woman all from one trip.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » March 19th, 2020, 11:30 pm

We're up to 16 confirmed cases here in West Sussex.

Slow rate of infection, probably due to the weather being so sodding miserable nobody's going out anyway.

I've counted the number of paracetamol tablets we have and it's about sixty. Is that enough for a painless suicide?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 20th, 2020, 12:01 am

Leothebear wrote:We're up to 16 confirmed cases here in West Sussex.

Slow rate of infection, probably due to the weather being so sodding miserable nobody's going out anyway.

I've counted the number of paracetamol tablets we have and it's about sixty. Is that enough for a painless suicide?

it's far from painless
- it will take a few days to kill you and if you change your mind during that time you'll need someone to give you a liver
- but yes that's more than enough (with paracetamol if you just double the recommended dose for a few days you can do a fair bit of damage)

- sd

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » March 20th, 2020, 7:24 am

thebarns wrote: self isolated by his parents at home, again I thought sensible with an abundance of caution.

This is barmy and abusive.

The overreaction too this flu strain is staggering.

GS

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 20th, 2020, 7:52 am

GoSeigen wrote:
thebarns wrote: self isolated by his parents at home, again I thought sensible with an abundance of caution.

This is barmy and abusive.

The overreaction too this flu strain is staggering.

GS

Covid 19 is a coronavirus it is not a "flu strain".

John

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » March 20th, 2020, 8:48 am

The complacency is just market economics.
Old people die, younger people get money.
Feeling a bit 'off' for a week is good business.
It is not staggering.
Harsh, but not staggering.
Much like quality education, it is vital that my children succeed, others are the enemy.
W.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 20th, 2020, 8:54 am

California now on 24 hour lockdown!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 12941.html

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 20th, 2020, 9:22 am

Our neighbours just up the farm track have texted us this morning, offering to get us anything we need from the shops. (As mentioned above, I did a fortnight's shop at Sainsburys yesterday, in full mask and flippers, and the cupboards are stocked for the long haul, but we'll be out of milk and bread and veg at some foreseeable point. So thanks very much, and yes please.)

It's all brought us up rather short, because we're now officially the second oldest household in our end of the village. :? And we were in our forties when we arrived! (I'll bet we're fitter than most of our neighbours, though - how many of them go to the gym, or manage forty trees, or build dry stone walls?) But heck, I'm still under medical supervision after a brief (and so far successful) encounter with Big C, so I suppose I'd have to count myself as immunocompromised. Fair enough, bring on the food delivery service.

I'll tell you one thing, though. We're glad to be living in a place where our neighbours look out for us, and where we look out for them. That's the way it's always been out here in the sticks. I was brung up in Norf Lunnon, where nobody seems to know their neighbours these days, and I've learned to appreciate the difference. :D

BJ

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”