Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Why Linux?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Why Linux?

Postby Infrasonic » January 30th, 2020, 11:44 am

vrdiver wrote:
My version of Chrome is 76.0.3809.136 (64bit)

I have PIN access for normal login enabled, but it's not related to the CRD PIN generated for remote login. When that is setup in CRD, it appears to be linked to a computer, not a userID as in the chrome login option.

If you get a chance to test out Remote desktopping into an unattended chromebook and have any success I'd be delighted. I'm not convinced I haven't overlooked something, but am running out of search words with which to feed google...

VRD

I understand the pin issue, I was merely highlighting how depending on which version of the OS you are on how the options change.
Historically many experimental options that were hidden in chrome://flags/ were later introduced as main channel settings options once stable.

From the Google Chromebook support link I posted last night I presume this is your issue?...https://support.google.com/chrome/answe ... ktop&hl=en

To use Chrome Remote Desktop on your Chromebook, learn how to share your computer with someone else.

Share your computer with someone else
You can give others remote access to your computer. They’ll have full access to your apps, files, emails, documents and history.

On your computer, open Chrome.
In the address bar at the top, type remotedesktop.google.com/support, and press Enter.
Under “Get Support, “ click Download Download.
Follow the onscreen directions to download and install Chrome Remote Desktop.
Under “Get Support,” select Generate Code.
Copy the code and send to the person you want to have access to your computer.
When that person enters your access code on the site, you will see a dialog with their e-mail address. Select Share to allow them full access to your computer.
To end a sharing session, click Stop Sharing.
The access code will only work one time. If you are sharing your computer, you will be asked to confirm that you want to continue to share your computer every 30 minutes.

Whether that one time/30 minute code issue can be bypassed with flags or not I don't know, that's the bit for investigation.

The Linux CRD option was also in that link...https://support.google.com/chrome/answe ... #linux-crd
Use Chrome Remote Desktop on Linux
Step 1: Download and set up Chrome Remote Desktop
Download the Chrome Remote Desktop app. Make sure you're using the most recent version of the app.

Step 2: Install the Debian package for the host components
Download the 64-bit Debian Package here.

Step 3: Create a virtual desktop session
If you have Ubuntu 12.04, skip to Step 4.

Look in /usr/share/xsessions/ for the .desktop file for your preferred desktop environment.
For example, Cinnamon has a file named "cinnamon.desktop" with the following command: gnome-session --session=cinnamon
Create a file called .chrome-remote-desktop-session in your home directory with the following content:
exec /usr/sbin/lightdm-session "<YOUR_EXEC_COMMAND>"
Replace <YOUR_EXEC_COMMAND> with the command at the end of your .desktop file:
In the example for Cinnamon, the correct command is exec /usr/sbin/lightdm-session 'gnome-session --session=cinnamon'
Unity desktops require some additional code. The full command is DESKTOP_SESSION=ubuntu XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/$(id -u) exec /usr/sbin/lightdm-session 'gnome-session --session=ubuntu'
Save the file called ".chrome-remote-desktop-session"​.
Step 4: Allow remote connections
On your computer, open Chrome.
In the address bar at the top, type chrome://apps, and press Enter.
Click Chrome Remote Desktop Chrome Remote Desktop App.
Under "My Computers," click Get started.
Click Enable remote connections.
Enter a PIN and re-type the PIN. Then click OK.
Dismiss the confirmation dialog.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 1st, 2020, 2:10 pm

Snorvey wrote:I've just bought a Samsung T5 USB SSD for use across (mainly) W10 at work and my own Linux Mint pc at home.

I note it come with software (or at least you can download software) that allows you to password protect your data. According to the booklet, this is available for Windows, Mac and Android - it makes no mention of Linux.

So....if I download the software at work and password protect the drive, Im assuming I wont be able to access the data on my Linux based pc?

It works fine on the Linux pc btw. very slick. All the documents open with no problems. Just no password protection.

The booklet that came with it is very thick, but with 2 pages in English and then 2 pages in every language in the world!

You could always use your own encryption software that will work across all required OS'.

Samsung have just brought out a T7 SSD with a built in fingerprint reader to unlock with. If you bought the T5 from Amazon or similar you might be able to swap it out and pay the difference?

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews ... rtable-ssd

...Samsung even built in a fingerprint scanner, which streamlines the encryption authentication process. No longer will you even have enter a password. Just like on many smartphones and high-end laptops, your fingerprint unlocks the device. Conveniently, the scanner works to unlock the device, regardless if the supporting software is installed on the host or not, making unlocking simple on any device. The device can also store up to four fingerprints if you use the device in a shared environment, too.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 1st, 2020, 2:35 pm

Just to add if you can't swap it and don't mind getting a T7 anyway then you could use the T5 for other things like having a bootable portable 'persistent' version of Linux Mint on it, or for your Mint snapshot backups.
The T5 is formatted exFAT by default, which is great for files, but for OS' you need to have them formatted in a native like Ext*/Btrfs for Linux, NTFS for Windows (external OneDrive or Dropbox sync with Windows for instance).
You can get third party apps that will let you multi partition and multi format drives so you can mix and match to a certain extent, but it's a definite do your homework first situation with gotchas, you can't busk it ;) ...

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 4th, 2020, 10:44 am

vrdiver wrote:My version of Chrome is 76.0.3809.136 (64bit)

I have PIN access for normal login enabled, but it's not related to the CRD PIN generated for remote login. When that is setup in CRD, it appears to be linked to a computer, not a userID as in the chrome login option.

If you get a chance to test out Remote desktopping into an unattended chromebook and have any success I'd be delighted. I'm not convinced I haven't overlooked something, but am running out of search words with which to feed google...

VRD

I had a mess with CRD the other evening, from W10 to CB, no problems accessing but also I couldn't see any way around the one time code and 30m timeout issue. I went through all the flag options and couldn't see anything relevant.

I had no joy with my Pixel 3a and CRD, it couldn't see anything. There's a few complaints online about this, the latest Android CRD app update was Novemebr 2019, but Android 10 has been updated since then several times, so I'm guessing something got broken and will need an Android CRD app update to fix. (I've got Android 9 in a container on my CB, so I might give this a whirl as an A/B to see if it's an Android OS issue.)

I also tried to get CRD working in Linux, with no joy. Following the support page link I tried to get it working in Chromium browser (version 73.*** was the latest I was offered via my Gnome package handler).
The Debian app download got an error in terminal and the app is no longer supported, so I got the web access landing page but without the ability to complete the set up. There's supposed to be a ChromeOS container Debian update in the pipeline coming to the stable channel at some point soon, hopefully that will resolve some issues. (I also can't access my Google Drive from Linux Libreoffice despite LO being a recent enough version for that bug to have been fixed supposedly, according to the support pages...)

It might work if Linux is natively installed, adding layers via VM's/containers can sometimes break things that would otherwise be OK. The CB Debian/Ubuntu Linux versions offered are way behind the current versions...

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » February 5th, 2020, 1:27 am

Infrasonic wrote:
vrdiver wrote:If you get a chance to test out Remote desktopping into an unattended chromebook and have any success I'd be delighted. I'm not convinced I haven't overlooked something, but am running out of search words with which to feed google...

I had a mess with CRD the other evening, from W10 to CB, no problems accessing but also I couldn't see any way around the one time code and 30m timeout issue. I went through all the flag options and couldn't see anything relevant...

Thanks for that. I don't feel quite so stupid now at not being able to get it working this end!

If all else fails I'll have to wait for a laptop to become available and use that - in the meantime I'll have a play with a primary install of Linux on the CB just to see what it looks like.

VRD

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 5th, 2020, 10:43 am

vrdiver wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:
vrdiver wrote:If you get a chance to test out Remote desktopping into an unattended chromebook and have any success I'd be delighted. I'm not convinced I haven't overlooked something, but am running out of search words with which to feed google...

I had a mess with CRD the other evening, from W10 to CB, no problems accessing but also I couldn't see any way around the one time code and 30m timeout issue. I went through all the flag options and couldn't see anything relevant...

Thanks for that. I don't feel quite so stupid now at not being able to get it working this end!

If all else fails I'll have to wait for a laptop to become available and use that - in the meantime I'll have a play with a primary install of Linux on the CB just to see what it looks like.

VRD

If you just want to familiarise yourself with the basics of Linux first then this is a good no commitment option to try out lots of distros...https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=272523#p272523

You can also run 'live' versions of Linux from a USB drive, so no need to natively install/dual boot. For it to be non clunky ideally from an SSD or fast flash drive over a decent USB connection like 3.2 (10Gbps) or 3.1 gen 1(5Gbps). If you want to try it on a current Windows 10 machine then turn off secure boot in the BIOS first. There's loads of tutorials out there for the procedures, just make sure it's a recent 2019/20 one.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 5th, 2020, 7:42 pm

vrdiver wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:

VRD

Update to the update...I managed to get the CB Linux Debian/Chromium browser CRD remoting in to W10, but it was an appaling experience, the screen graphics and speed were almost unusable. No code needed but an affirmation to allow access is still required at the W10 end. No joy with W10 to CB in Linux yet as the Linux CRD app download error issue is still present. (I've had this with other CB Linux apps. and eventually got them to work, so I'll persist.)

Android Pixel 3a CRD I also got to work with W10 tonight, a much better experience. Snappy, decent graphics. Codeless but W10 share affirmation needed.
Still no joy getting Android Pixel 3a to CB to work. There's no code entry facility on the Android app. and no way of allowing access to the CB without the one off code. Weird seeing as Google are responsible for both sides there...
I shall keep persisting with it all and report back. :?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 7th, 2020, 6:39 pm

https://clearlinux.org/
Clear Linux OS is an open source, rolling release Linux distribution optimized for performance and security, from the Cloud to the Edge, designed for customization, and manageability.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ptop&num=1

The latest in our benchmarking fun with the $199+ Motile M141 laptop is seeing how well Intel's Clear Linux performs on it in relation to Ubuntu and Fedora.

While Ubuntu Linux was about 15% faster than the default Windows 10 installation on this AMD Ryzen 3 3200U notebook, it's possible to get even faster performance by loading up Clear Linux on it. We are used to covering Clear's exciting performance capabilities on high-end hardware, but even for this low-end laptop with an AMD processor, Intel's performance-optimized open-source operating system still did wonders.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 9th, 2020, 2:06 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmD8obq4eQ

ExplainingComputers
2 Feb 2020
Running Windows in Linux: VirtualBox Configuration

Installing VirtualBox 6.1 in Linux and setting up a Windows virtual machine with Guest Additions, shared folders, shared clipboard and USB support.

The process shown in this video will work in any modern x86 Linux distribution, including Linux Mint, Ubuntu and Zorin OS. However, you cannot run VirtualBox on an ARM-based computer, such as a Raspberry Pi.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 9th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Infrasonic wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmD8obq4eQ

ExplainingComputers
2 Feb 2020
Running Windows in Linux: VirtualBox Configuration

Installing VirtualBox 6.1 in Linux and setting up a Windows virtual machine with Guest Additions, shared folders, shared clipboard and USB support.

The process shown in this video will work in any modern x86 Linux distribution, including Linux Mint, Ubuntu and Zorin OS. However, you cannot run VirtualBox on an ARM-based computer, such as a Raspberry Pi.

Excellent stuff. I wish I'd watched this before doing this myself. I'm a big fan of VirtualBox and run Win7 on a Debian host, it runs well. I really like being able to clone a VB or take a snapshot.

RC

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 26th, 2020, 9:25 am

https://opensource.com/article/18/4/ext4-filesystem
Understanding Linux filesystems: ext4 and beyond
Learn the history of ext4, including what's different from ext3 and the other filesystems that came before it.
Cont.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » March 30th, 2020, 11:07 pm

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/03 ... comments=1
WireGuard VPN makes it to 1.0.0—and into the next Linux kernel
...Cont.

...Debian and Ubuntu users, fortunately, won't have to wait for Linux 5.6. The upcoming Ubuntu Focal Fossa has a backported WireGuard in its kernel tree—so the need for the WireGuard PPA should be over soon for up-to-date Ubuntu admins. On the Debian side, maintainer Ben Hutchings has already committed a backport to Debian Buster...Cont

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 6th, 2020, 11:39 pm

Snorvey wrote:Well that's twice now that Linux Mint has caught me in and endless login loop after an update and I'm so annoyed with it now.

There are many helpful forums out there, but be prepared to spend a fair bit of time typing unintelligble gobbledygook into your computer for some considerable time.

Do you have a copy of the gobbledygook? we might be able to discern what it is, with the hope of preventing it from happening in the future.

- and speaking of update gobbledygook if anyone knows how to stop a windows 10 update from making me enter a BitLocker key after an update I'd be grateful (it's a pre-installed win 10 on a surface book so i'm not as inclined as I usually would be to re-install)

- sd

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 7th, 2020, 3:34 am

Snorvey wrote:
servodude wrote:
Snorvey wrote:Well that's twice now that Linux Mint has caught me in and endless login loop after an update and I'm so annoyed with it now.

There are many helpful forums out there, but be prepared to spend a fair bit of time typing unintelligble gobbledygook into your computer for some considerable time.

Do you have a copy of the gobbledygook? we might be able to discern what it is, with the hope of preventing it from happening in the future.

- and speaking of update gobbledygook if anyone knows how to stop a windows 10 update from making me enter a BitLocker key after an update I'd be grateful (it's a pre-installed win 10 on a surface book so i'm not as inclined as I usually would be to re-install)

- sd

I think I might have gotten there.......and.....yeesssss!

I was all full up. Cheers SD.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=264114

Ah that will do it ( and to be fair to linux - windows does it to me also on one of my machines)

- sd (not wanting to kick off the updates he has waiting to install on his surface book)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 16th, 2020, 11:45 am

I know it's not strictly Linux, but it will probably be of interest to those that are UNIX/Linux fans...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM0oou1KYY8
Explaining Computers 15 Mar 2020
Nomad BSD:Persistent Live USB OS

NomadBSD setup and demo. This FreeBSD OS is designed to run from a live USB drive which is persistent, so that user files, applications and operating system changes can be saved to it. NomadBSD is hence a portable alternative OS that you can move between computers and carry around in your pocket.

You can learn more about and download NomadBSD from its website at: https://nomadbsd.org/

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 26th, 2020, 2:30 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBCE-ZH ... kHjWlL%3A6

Explaining Computers 26 Apr 2020

Ubuntu 20.04 install and demo, focused on Windows users thinking of migrating to Linux, and with Ubuntu running from an external SSD that can be plugged in as required. And I even add a printer!

You can download Ubuntu 20.04 here: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop and Etcher (for writing the download to a USB drive) here: https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 26th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Snorvey wrote:Can you run this, or any other Linux variant, from an SSD that has other stuff on it already (files, photos etc)

I'm always a bit wary that it will wipe the drive.

viewtopic.php?p=281611&sid=37cd38c27ad95106703b63af9a12837c#p281611

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Postby cinelli » April 26th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Snorvey wrote:Can you run this, or any other Linux variant, from an SSD that has other stuff on it already (files, photos etc)

Chris Barnatt's videos get better and better. Here he is installing linux to an external SSD and doesn't touch the already installed Windows at all. He makes this important point very strongly at about 7 minutes in his video. But I am not sure how widely known is the fact that you can equally install linux to an USB memory stick in just the same way. You might think that this would be a slow option but my experience is the opposite. It might take a little longer to boot but once running, linux from a memory stick is astonishingly fast. I do recommend USB 3.0 or 3.1 though. You can buy a 64Gb 3.0 memory stick for about £10. It really is like having a second computer in your pocket. Anybody who is thinking about experimenting with linux, I suggest this is a good option. You can try linux without making any changes to an already installed Windows OS.

Cinelli

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » April 26th, 2020, 8:24 pm

cinelli wrote:

Chris Barnatt's videos get better and better. Here he is installing linux to an external SSD and doesn't touch the already installed Windows at all. He makes this important point very strongly at about 7 minutes in his video. But I am not sure how widely known is the fact that you can equally install linux to an USB memory stick in just the same way. You might think that this would be a slow option but my experience is the opposite. It might take a little longer to boot but once running, linux from a memory stick is astonishingly fast. I do recommend USB 3.0 or 3.1 though. You can buy a 64Gb 3.0 memory stick for about £10. It really is like having a second computer in your pocket. Anybody who is thinking about experimenting with linux, I suggest this is a good option. You can try linux without making any changes to an already installed Windows OS.

Cinelli

I have done that. I installed Ubuntu on a USB flash drive and set the boot order so that my Windows 10 machine booted preferentially from USB. If the USB was plugged in I got Ubuntu, otherwise I got Windows 10. That was great until Grub noticed that I had Windows 10 on the same machine and set up dual boot that I did not want. That was a real pain. I do not know whether the NomadBSD solution gets round that problem.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 26th, 2020, 8:40 pm

cinelli wrote:

Cinelli

If you're doing it 'persistent' and use it a lot then the spectre of write durability rears its ugly head with USB flash drives, which is where a decent SSD with DRAM and SLC cache will beat it (as well general performance/TRIM/SMART).
I'm going to give it a go with my Samsung T5 and W10 desktop, ideally I want it persistent multiboot Linux and I'll try and get Nomad BSD on there too, UEFI Yumi is something I've been looking at.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”