Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

glut of milk and eggs

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

glut of milk and eggs

Postby kempiejon » June 6th, 2020, 9:59 pm

Overzealous internet shopping lands me with 2 dozen extra eggs and 6 extra pints of milk. I don't usually make sweet things but I'm open to persuasion, - SO has vetoed bread and butter pudding, "Urgh soggy bread." I've done batter, Yorkshires, pancakes and toad but I'd like a few more suggestions to use my glut.

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Re: glut of milk and eggs

Postby 6Tricia » June 6th, 2020, 10:31 pm

Old fashioned savoury cheese souffle/pudding. (Recipe at deliciousmagazine.co.uk)
Creme anglaise made with milk, eggs and sugar.
Macaroni cheese.
Tricia

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » June 6th, 2020, 11:58 pm

quiche
ice cream

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 7th, 2020, 12:52 am

I do not know if eggs can be frozen but milk certainly can. I suggest that that is your first action. Eggs will keep for several weeks more than milk will so that removes some pressure. For eggs, omelettes, frying, poaching etc. A couple could get through a couple of dozen eggs in no more than two or three weeks. Surely there is no need to indulge in sweet things.

Dod

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » June 7th, 2020, 9:04 am

Homemade Brioche would assist in the diposal of some of the the excesses.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 7th, 2020, 10:04 am

DON'T EAT THEM.

Dangerous things, eggs. Have you seen how much cholesterol there is in an egg???!

Eat two dozen and your arteries will furr up worse than a combi boiler in a hard water area....

Or has that all been disproven now?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 7th, 2020, 10:07 am

Brioche is an excellent suggestions I bake a loaf most weeks anyway just redirect my effort to the enriched dough. I'll try a souffle but I don't have ramekins, I'll see what I can repurpose and SO loves a bacon quiche. Unfortunately the freezer's stuffed Why it didn't occur to me to just eat the eggs or drink the milk though duh.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 7th, 2020, 10:46 am

kempiejon wrote:
I've done batter, Yorkshires, pancakes and toad but I'd like a few more suggestions to use my glut.

Have a go at this for a very tasty twist on an omelette -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaSAJ0LvNt4

I don't use any extra oil on the wrap, but add some cooked mushrooms, and I put the cheese onto the omelette whilst it's in the pan, and let it melt before adding the wrap, so a bit less fussy than the one in the video, but a go-to quick lunch if we've got loads of eggs in.

The crunchiness of the folded wrap turns what can sometimes be a boring lunch into a much more interesting one, and the flip-over adds a great sense of excitement to the whole affair!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » June 7th, 2020, 1:47 pm

Mike4 wrote:DON'T EAT THEM.

Dangerous things, eggs. Have you seen how much cholesterol there is in an egg???!

Eat two dozen and your arteries will furr up worse than a combi boiler in a hard water area....

Yep I think you might be right, stick to proceeded foods and takeaways. All that salt and sugar will sort out your arteries and bring back shoe rubber in bread, it will fill in any holes.

I think Google and Eggdwina Currie are your friend

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 7th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Mike4 wrote:Dangerous things, eggs. Have you seen how much cholesterol there is in an egg???!

As somebody with a genetic super-surplus of cholesterol, I've been forced to take a close personal interest in the subject over the last 25 years or so. Yes, it used to be thought that eggs were always rather bad for you (and catastrophic for me). A couple of years ago, though, the two-a-week rule was changed to seven (in the US) and any-number-but-don't-go-too-crazy in the UK (https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/eggs-nutrition/)

Eggs are still loaded with built-in cholesterol, but these days the view is that the more dangerous kind of cholesterol is the kind that you manufacture yourself from the fats you eat. The stuff in the egg goes largely straight through you.

Need to make an exception for goose eggs, which are a heart attack in a shell. I used to know a goose farmer who ate one for breakfast every morning. If you looked closely at his eyes, you could see a line of hard white cholesterol around each eyelid. :shock: He didn't last too long.

Me, I'm on the heavy medication but I'm still banned from eating eggs. Except for the occasional cake or biscuit, which is not a problem since I don;t really like them.

BJ

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » June 8th, 2020, 10:56 am

We freeze milk. Open the carton/bottle and remove a little then wedge it in the freezer without the lid until frozen. Replace the lid when frozen. If you try to freeze a full carton without removing the cap then as the milk expands it will burst the container making an unholy mess when you defrost it.

I never bought into this low fat nonesense, cook the eggs as you like, hard boiled, soft boiled, poached, omelets, ice cream,fried (lovely using butter) and etc. We are having poached eggs this evening. I have some cooking bacon defrosted that I shall dice finely and cook in a frying pan, then put some into the bottom of those yellow poached egg cups before adding the eggs and poaching.

When I was 17, I realised that I was getting overweight and bought "Eat Fat Grow Slim", which is still in print. The basic message was to avoid sugar, white flour, starchy foods such as peeled potatoes and white rice and to increase roughage, now called dietary fibre. Now 60 years later I am still at 68kgs, even after a lifetime as a cook/chef. Now I seem to self regulate the amount I eat at a time, listening to my stomach to tell me when to stop eating and when to eat more. The amount of fibre in our diet would astonish the average person. We eat very little meat and lots and lots of fruit and vegetables of all kinds, especialy many varieties of beans and pulses that I try to buy in 2kg bags. Our favourite steak is a 30 day matured ribe eye steak well marbled, we have one every 3 or 4 months or so. We occaisionaly make cakes and desserts, I always have homemade ice cream in the freezer. We never buy takeaways and only eat out for a treat, never "for a meal". I think that the average pub food is awful. I drink beer occaisionaly, a small glass of wine more often, some times a pastis or a brandy sour and the occaisional snifter of single malt. Soft drinks are non existent in the cupboard except for the occaisional small can of coke for the neighbour's rum and coke.

Sorry if this a bit of a rant but dietary fads just make me cross, Eat a large variety of foods tasty and cooked well and treat yourself sometimes.

john

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 8th, 2020, 12:31 pm

johnstevens77 wrote:Now I seem to self regulate the amount I eat at a time, listening to my stomach to tell me when to stop eating and when to eat more.

This is the bit I think most people get wrong/overlook nowadays.

My wise father in law used to say one should always leave the table feeling as though one could have eaten just a little bit more.

I think it might have been a wartime trope from when food was short, but wise all the same.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 8th, 2020, 5:34 pm

Mike4 wrote:
johnstevens77 wrote:Now I seem to self regulate the amount I eat at a time, listening to my stomach to tell me when to stop eating and when to eat more.

This is the bit I think most people get wrong/overlook nowadays.

My wise father in law used to say one should always leave the table feeling as though one could have eaten just a little bit more.

I think it might have been a wartime trope from when food was short, but wise all the same.

I was brought up to the opposite. Eat what you can get, 'cos you don't know where the next meal is coming from. And of course, absolutely no waste: if it's on your plate you eat it, and if it's left over at the end of the meal, you take pity on it and eat it.

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » June 9th, 2020, 2:47 pm

I would like to make custard tarts with them, with nutmeg sprinkled on top.

All would soon go!

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 9th, 2020, 4:46 pm

Dod101 wrote: A couple could get through a couple of dozen eggs in no more than two or three week

24 eggs, two people, 3 weeks? how do you manage that - except to ignore them for 2.5 weeks first :-)

shakshuka - brilliant breakfast/brunch/lunch/supper!

scrambled eggs.

Eggs benedict/florentine.

Thats one dozen gone in three days for me and Mrs Didds!

Eggs - pickle them.

Milk is tougher - freezing may be a go. Cheese sauce with califlower/macoroni/leeks/lasigna/pastiochio/moussaka, parsley sauce with white fish/ham/broad beans. "Smoothies" for breakfast - banaa, oats, choclate powder/honey etc. Cereal of course. Custard. Home made Cottage cheese. GHome made yoghurt.

didds

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » June 9th, 2020, 5:27 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

I was brought up to the opposite. Eat what you can get, 'cos you don't know where the next meal is coming from. And of course, absolutely no waste: if it's on your plate you eat it, and if it's left over at the end of the meal, you take pity on it and eat it.

If it's on our plates, it always gets eaten, if not right away then later on with dinner, (we have our main meal at mid day and a light dinner at 7pm).

john

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » June 13th, 2020, 5:44 pm

When I have eggs to use up I make Tortilla, i.e. Spanish Omelette, not Mexican flatbread.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 13th, 2020, 11:18 pm

kempiejon wrote: SO has vetoed bread and butter pudding, "Urgh soggy bread."

Something wrong with the recipe then. B&B pudding incorporating marmalade, is sublime. Just turn some of the milk into cream and you're good to go.

V8

Return to “Food”