Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

5G what is reality

The Big Picture Place
PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Re: 5G what is reality

Postby PeterGray » July 14th, 2020, 2:26 pm

So we're supporting Trump's push for US tech companies against Chinese. It will put back 5G by 2 years or so and cost around 2bn. There are no obvious business benefits to UK companies - we will now have to buy from the US, who will have an effective monoply, that they will use.

There may be potential security issues, though the US lobby has overblown them, but in general it's far more secure to use a mix of tech from diverse sources than to become totally dependent on one - which is where we are now going.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 14th, 2020, 2:57 pm

PeterGray wrote:So we're supporting Trump's push for US tech companies against Chinese. It will put back 5G by 2 years or so and cost around 2bn. There are no obvious business benefits to UK companies - we will now have to buy from the US, who will have an effective monopoly....

erm, what about Nokia and Ericsson?

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 14th, 2020, 3:03 pm

As far as I know Nokia is owned by Foxconn:

https://qz.com/1532642/nokia-is-coming-back-to-the-us/

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 14th, 2020, 3:08 pm

Nokia also used Broadcom SoC (system on chip) hardware:

https://www.nokia.com/about-us/news/rel ... aboration/

Regards,

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 14th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Nope, Finnish. The consumer phone part of the business has been around a bit, but network infrastructure is Finnish (based in Espoo)

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 14th, 2020, 3:13 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Nope, Finnish. The consumer phone part of the business has been around a bit, but network infrastructure is Finnish (based in Espoo)

Thank you!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 6th, 2020, 12:04 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:OK, here's a UK company doing nicely out of 5G. In a niche perhaps comparable to Intel's as a second-order supplier to the telcos.

Thanks for the heads up, lovely results & well received by the market, roaring on a hard day for equities.

Regards,

Today's half-year report looks healthy to me, but they're down on it :o
https://www.investegate.co.uk/article.a ... 700032666V

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 6th, 2020, 12:21 pm

PeterGray wrote:So we're supporting Trump's push for US tech companies against Chinese. It will put back 5G by 2 years or so and cost around 2bn. There are no obvious business benefits to UK companies - we will now have to buy from the US, who will have an effective monoply, that they will use.

This is America First. Pure and simple.

It's not so much about 5G suppliers (Nokia and Ericsson aren't American), but rather about the IoT ecosystem. We've already had more than a year of our deployment being held back by uncertainty, now we're being held back again - by years.

Holding the UK (and as many others as possible) back gives US companies the best possible head-start in the IP land-grab, and proliferation of patents, that will come out of the IoT. This isn't companies we've heard about (yet), it's the next generation of Unicorns.

Think back 20+ years. The US was way ahead of us in Internet infrastructure: DSL broadband was widely available at home-user prices, at a time a when bottom-end 64K leased line would set you back £3k/year here. That gave US startups the environment in which to conquer the world, which is why the leading companies of that 1990s generation - Google, Amazon, etc - are all American.

This time the US is not ahead: it risks being third, behind (at worst) both Europe and Asia. "America First" Trump needed to Do Something. He's using the Huawei nonsense as weapon against the UK. Delaying 5G here radically reduces the chance of UK 2020 companies being the next generation of Googles or Amazons.

And it turns out, our Parliament is full of Fifth Columnists!

There may be potential security issues, though the US lobby has overblown them, but in general it's far more secure to use a mix of tech from diverse sources than to become totally dependent on one - which is where we are now going.

We've always had a diverse mix. Huawei was market leader, but never had the kind of market share that Cisco had a few years back. Let alone Microsoft, Google, Intel, etc at various times in recent history.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 6th, 2020, 12:28 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:OK, here's a UK company doing nicely out of 5G. In a niche perhaps comparable to Intel's as a second-order supplier to the telcos.

Thanks for the heads up, lovely results & well received by the market, roaring on a hard day for equities.

Regards,

Very interesting market reaction (down over 3% as I type) to what look to be very good results to me, especially as they mention some softness although say things rebounded in June.

So maybe just profit taking. They have had a good run to an all time high and this may just be folk deciding to lock in some of those profits.

Regards,

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 6th, 2020, 9:43 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

Regards,

Very interesting market reaction (down over 3% as I type) to what look to be very good results to me, especially as they mention some softness although say things rebounded in June.

So maybe just profit taking. They have had a good run to an all time high and this may just be folk deciding to lock in some of those profits.

Regards,

If it's profit-taking, that makes quite a contrast with a much bigger beacon of light in the chaos of my portfolio: namely Scottish Mortgage IT, which of course holds lots of tech stocks that have done well through lockdown and look like prospective long-term winners.

SPT is a moderate winner I'm happy to run with, but I don't understand today's reaction. Someone must've had high expectations!

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 7th, 2020, 12:34 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Today's half-year report looks healthy to me, but they're down on it :o

Regards,

If it's profit-taking, that makes quite a contrast with a much bigger beacon of light in the chaos of my portfolio: namely Scottish Mortgage IT, which of course holds lots of tech stocks that have done well through lockdown and look like prospective long-term winners.

SPT is a moderate winner I'm happy to run with, but I don't understand today's reaction. Someone must've had high expectations!

Looking at the monthly chart, todays reaction is small:

https://twitter.com/0_ody/status/129151 ... 00778?s=20

There may be something in the results that I am missing and if so the price will likely continue to come off, but for now I don't think the move tells us very much about how investors perceive future results.

If the statements in the report, that things improved in June are correct, then todays reaction may be a buying opportunity, but I am always nervous that there is something else that I am missing, especially with all the politics surrounding 5g and Huawei, although at least so far the reaction was purely correlated with the results suggesting a sell the news to lock in profits. With the stock at an all time high every previous buyer was in profit. Anyone who bought in 2003 must be happy with the performance, from 9p to 274p:

https://twitter.com/0_ody/status/129151 ... 94080?s=20

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 7th, 2020, 9:34 am

Strong recovery in Spirent share price this morning, at least for the moment validating yesterdays results as being good.

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”