Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 24th, 2020, 8:42 am

kiloran wrote:
Snorvey wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:It should be pointed out that while the happy couple did the ascent with their hill climbing pastor, the bulk of the guests were transported via a stalkers track and a all terrain vehicle.

A stalker's track??? It's a friggin' 3-lane motorway :lol:

--kiloran

For the avoidance of doubt, Snorvey wrote that, not I

I may sue...

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 24th, 2020, 9:23 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:
kiloran wrote:A stalker's track??? It's a friggin' 3-lane motorway :lol:

--kiloran

For the avoidance of doubt, Snorvey wrote that, not I

I may sue...

If you sue, I shall plead senility

--kiloran

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 25th, 2020, 2:03 pm

Snorvey wrote:At tomorrow's Andlucian MotoGP, the track temperature is expected to touch sixty degrees Celsius. One hundred and forty degrees Fahrenheit..

Nah. Spain's not for me.

That's silly hot!
I did a couple of days in the Pilbara about 7 years ago when it peaked at 48 C in the shade; and it was tolerable because it was swinging. Swinging 40+ deg in the day, from frosty to blistering and back. So as soon as it hits the peak you feel like it's cooling down.

But if I'm somewhere where it doesn't drop below 30 for a couple of days it feels like a horror movie

-sd

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 25th, 2020, 3:18 pm

servodude wrote:
Snorvey wrote:At tomorrow's Andlucian MotoGP, the track temperature is expected to touch sixty degrees Celsius. One hundred and forty degrees Fahrenheit..

Nah. Spain's not for me.

That's silly hot!

"Track temperature"? If the track is something like black asphalt, that's not particularly hot.

I did a couple of days in the Pilbara about 7 years ago when it peaked at 48 C in the shade; and it was tolerable because it was swinging. Swinging 40+ deg in the day, from frosty to blistering and back. So as soon as it hits the peak you feel like it's cooling down.

As an air temperature that is indeed hot (how bearable it is depends on humidity). In my years in Italy I found a daytime fortysomething a lot more bearable than a night that stuck resolutely in the high 20s 'cos of the greenhouse effect of humidity. A hot spell around this time of year could give both!

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 25th, 2020, 10:24 pm

servodude wrote:

Nah. Spain's not for me.

That's silly hot!

But if I'm somewhere where it doesn't drop below 30 for a couple of days it feels like a horror movie

-sd

I visited a glass factory in Jeddah a few years ago and it was +50°C at noon. I was out in the open for some time looking at a chimney in the full sun and was glad to be able to retreat to an air-conditioned office after that.

My flight home was in the early hours and the inversion was noticeable. The outside temperature was about +25°C at ground level and rose to somewhere in the 30s as we climbed away.

TJH

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » July 25th, 2020, 10:49 pm

Google says the highest ever recorded air temperature was 56.7 deg C in Death Valley (though there have been some doubts about the validity of the measurement). 60 deg track temperature must be as somebody wrote, is that of black tarmac, and doesn't seem all that hot to me.

I have experienced 46 deg in Delhi, and that was quite hot enough for me. Interesting that in pre air conditioning days, many houses there were built with dark subterranean chambers where people stayed during the day in summer.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 26th, 2020, 9:57 am

Summer in Caithness - I'm sure the temperature occasionally exceeded 13C, but I can't remember going oooh. On the other hand, in January, with a good Nor-Easter blowing, that certainly made survivors go oooh (among other utterances).

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 26th, 2020, 11:40 am

Snorvey wrote:This morning, in Moray, it is 16 degrees and I'm just back from a cycle.

Well done - showing the nation the path of true virtue in this fight to conquer obesity. I trust you didn't nibble a biscuit afterwards :)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 26th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Snorvey wrote:Hey, I'm just repeating what they said on the telly. 60 degrees is hot, even if it is the tarmac (the energy to make it that hot can only come from one place, right?)

Comes from that big fiery thing in the sky. And the track - indeed any road - will warm the air around it. I've heard said that's why various animals - such as sheep - like to spend time on the roads when it's rather chillier outside.

Weather map shows temperatures in the 30s and up to 41 for Spain. Hot, but not exceptional for the season.

Similar principle to the warming of water if you have a shallow lake or river with a dark bottom. There's a swim-spot near here where two rivers converge, and quite a big temperature difference - perhaps five or six degrees - between the one with some shallow, wide rock pools upstream and the one without.

Or my friend with a solar-thermal panel on her roof. It may be 16 degrees outside, but it gives her ample too-hot-to-touch water for domestic uses such as a hot bath without having to burn a single molecule of gas. Even when it's cloudy and muggy like today.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » July 26th, 2020, 2:23 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Comes from that big fiery thing in the sky. And the track - indeed any road - will warm the air around it. I've heard said that's why various animals - such as sheep - like to spend time on the roads when it's rather chillier outside.

That reminds me of a holiday in Norway five years ago. We were bimbling along some deserted roads in the middle of nowhere to be suddenly presented with a road full of sheep lying across it - it looked like a zombie apocolypse. As we were on motorbikes we managed to weave our way around them, but we passed a 4x4 stopped - it must have had to wait for nightfall! (Which would be a long time as it was mid-summer . . .).

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 26th, 2020, 2:49 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Similar principle to the warming of water if you have a shallow lake or river with a dark bottom. There's a swim-spot near here where two rivers converge, and quite a big temperature difference - perhaps five or six degrees - between the one with some shallow, wide rock pools upstream and the one without.

The water will absorb heat from the sun and air. The light is absorbed by water (red first, working to blue, last) and the energy converts to heat. Where the water is shallow, or the top layer is not mixing with deeper, cooler water, this can be very noticeable. In some cases you can experience a thermocline; there is a site I dive at where, if not wearing gloves, I can put my hand through the boundary and feel "hot" or "cold" water, depending on which direction I'm traveling.

The thermocline is visible, as the two layers of water, having different temperatures, also have different densities, which creates a refractive interface between the two. Submarines can use the refractive properties to hide behind*, but of course they themselves are blind to what's on the other side without putting a probe through...

In summer, several people drown each year jumping into warm water and piercing the thermocline, entering into cold water quite unexpectedly, causing them to take a sharp, involuntary intake of breath, whilst still under water. You might say it made them go oooh :cry:

VRD

*but probably not anything to worry about at the swim-spot!

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » July 26th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Gersemi wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

That reminds me of a holiday in Norway five years ago. We were bimbling along some deserted roads in the middle of nowhere to be suddenly presented with a road full of sheep lying across it - it looked like a zombie apocolypse. As we were on motorbikes we managed to weave our way around them, but we passed a 4x4 stopped - it must have had to wait for nightfall! (Which would be a long time as it was mid-summer . . .).

Having lived in two areas where sheep roam free, the Forest of Dean and the Peak District, there are two perils that I recall.

If a sheep decides to cross the road in front of you, you can be certain that several more of the flock will follow it.

The worst hazard came in winter, driving down Froggatt Edge on a snowy night, when the hill fog has come down, and you find a fog coloured sheep licking salt from the catseyes in the middle of the road. A friend of mine killed such a beast and put it in the boot of his car, for subsequent butchering. He had great difficulty in ridding his car of the wildlife that had inhabited the fleece.

TJH

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 26th, 2020, 6:27 pm

tjh290633 wrote:The worst hazard came in winter, driving down Froggatt Edge on a snowy night, when the hill fog has come down, and you find a fog coloured sheep licking salt from the catseyes in the middle of the road. A friend of mine killed such a beast and put it in the boot of his car, for subsequent butchering. He had great difficulty in ridding his car of the wildlife that had inhabited the fleece.

An ex girlfriend of mine got four ribs broken in the Peak District by a mother sheep who decided that the footpath she (the girlfriend) was walking on was too close for her liking. It's surprising how much momentum an irritated sheep can muster when it really matters.

The aforementioned girlfriend was the national secretary of a very famous livestock show. And also the president of a Welsh sheep breed. (Yes, there is such a thing.) If anybody knew how not to annoy a sheep, it would have been her - but sadly it wasn't enough. Walk softly, and carry a big stick. ;)

BJ

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » August 1st, 2020, 5:01 pm

Seagul owns Snorvey.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 1st, 2020, 5:08 pm

Snorvey wrote: He was busy ruffling his feathers and preening as I stood there for ten minutes hosing a seagull down like a right Muppet.

It took you 10 minutes to realise you were being taken for a mug????

--kiloran

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 3rd, 2020, 11:43 am

Snorvey wrote:According to Sky News, the lawyers are really struggling due to the virus.

Shall we have a whip round for them?

Who was the poster that used to talk about her horse riding? She might have an appropriate whip?

-sd

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 3rd, 2020, 12:10 pm

servodude wrote:
Snorvey wrote:According to Sky News, the lawyers are really struggling due to the virus.

Shall we have a whip round for them?

Who was the poster that used to talk about her horse riding? She might have an appropriate whip?

-sd

Did her horse ride a lawyer?

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » August 7th, 2020, 2:54 pm

I had a McDonalds burger type thing years ago. Filet-o-fish I think it was called. It was okay (apart from the sauce) (and the name)
but I’d sooner have had a sardine sandwich.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 8th, 2020, 1:46 pm

On the last day of holiday in the south of France yesterday, we drove through Monaco on the way to Nice airport. Found out by text, which I only read afterwards, that Monaco isn't covered by the EU free roaming on mobiles, and data was 36p per megabyte. So I just happened to be streaming Ken Bruce on Radio 2 on the BBC Sounds app on my phoned piped to the car radio by bluetooth. Checked my mobile account today and it's cost me a fiver!

Sheesh!

Scott.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 8th, 2020, 3:07 pm

swill453 wrote:On the last day of holiday in the south of France yesterday, we drove through Monaco on the way to Nice airport. Found out by text, which I only read afterwards, that Monaco isn't covered by the EU free roaming on mobiles, and data was 36p per megabyte. So I just happened to be streaming Ken Bruce on Radio 2 on the BBC Sounds app on my phoned piped to the car radio by bluetooth. Checked my mobile account today and it's cost me a fiver!

Sheesh!

Scott.

So you went on holiday to the south of France to experience a bit of foreign life and culture, and you listened to.......Ken Bruce on Radio 2?????

--kiloran

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”