Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

I went to a restaurant yesterday

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Re: I went to a restaurant yesterday

Postby bluedonkey » August 4th, 2020, 9:38 am

tjh290633 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:So while everything has a potential, the potentials vary... sadly I think post rugby drinking and singing sessions in dingy underground pubs might be off the cards for a while.

-sd

Are they allowing such a close-contact activity as rugby now?

Rugby Union restarts on 15th August. It is already underway in both New Zealand and Australia, with normal crowds attending. That might change in Melbourne.

TJH

Side comment: I think it's Rugby League in Victoria.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » August 4th, 2020, 3:30 pm

bluedonkey wrote:I suspect the dishwasher gets the plates cleaner than doing by hand.

I would think that very much depends upon the food one eats, or uses the plates for. Residue of greasy food - or rather foods smothered in butter, margarine, oil etc - is likely to be harder to shift that, say, a few lettuce leaves.

I wash up by hand using running hot water when the plates are particularly greasy. otherwise, cold water and elbow grease to shift stubborn stains. Filling the sink and adding washing up liquid is a rarity for me. Taps running hot or cold or combination enables rinsing as I go. When occasionally Mrs BnC washes the dishes, she fills the sink, add washing up liquid, etc. But her definition fo rinsing differs from mine so often I have to wash and rinse again.

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » August 4th, 2020, 7:04 pm

I went to a cinema today. Posting here so as not to set up yet another coronavirus thread. Following the announcement about compulsory mask-wearing in cinemas, we visited a Cineworld complex, and put on our masks before entering the building. About 12 other people in a cinema seating 200, with nobody else wearing masks. Turns out the government announced mask-wearing in cinemas last weekend, but they don't become compulsory until this weekend, presumably starting from 3.30am or somesuch time.

Kept 5 metres away from nearest other people, so felt fairly safe. Cineworld ask people to leave by the exits rather than the entrances, which seems sensible enough. (You use the fire exits by the cinema screen to exit the building, rather than back into the foyer as normal)
Film was "Unhinged" with Russell Crowe. I've written a review on TV & Film board, but if you just want to know if it's any good - it is.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 4th, 2020, 7:17 pm

bluedonkey wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Are they allowing such a close-contact activity as rugby now?

Rugby Union restarts on 15th August. It is already underway in both New Zealand and Australia, with normal crowds attending. That might change in Melbourne.

TJH

Melbourne Renegades in the RU Super League, or whatever they call it now.

TJH

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 4th, 2020, 8:22 pm

didds wrote:...if being indoors is the issue, why offices are not only reopening but Bojo is stating we shoud return to them? And why schools are reopening? Something isnt adding up here ?

Bojo wants things back to normal. So he doesn't have to start putting up taxes (much).
Thus he'll pretend whatever.

Schools need to be open because they're the parking places for children who otherwise would need a parent at home.
On the whole, that's the purpose of schools. Parking places with some incidental education thrown in.
And for those who think that education is their primary function, Bojo doesn't want peeps realising just how little online educating was actually done during lockdown.

V8 (who will be avoiding indoor communal eating fttb, thankyou)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 4th, 2020, 11:48 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
bluedonkey wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:Rugby Union restarts on 15th August. It is already underway in both New Zealand and Australia, with normal crowds attending. That might change in Melbourne.

TJH

Melbourne Renegades in the RU Super League, or whatever they call it now.

TJH

The Melbourne Rebels (playing in Super Rugby AU) upped sticks at the start of July for Canberra so as to avoid the outbreak in Vic.
The Melbourne Storm went to Sydney for the same reason (reports of an outbreak of Beyonce songs being sung would appear to indicate they're still there) ;)

-sd

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 5th, 2020, 9:47 am

88V8 wrote:
didds wrote:...if being indoors is the issue, why offices are not only reopening but Bojo is stating we shoud return to them? And why schools are reopening? Something isnt adding up here ?

Bojo wants things back to normal. So he doesn't have to start putting up taxes (much).

But presumably the vast mnajority of office workers that are being urged to return to an office and thus share space with others, have been working from home anyway? That isnt getting people into work to pay taxes as thety are already 9still) working?

Or is it actually only me and my dozen colleagues that are WFH all this time as office workers?

didds

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 5th, 2020, 9:56 am

The point about getting office workers back in to offices is to support all the sandwich shops, food outlets and pubs around the office premises.

Dod

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » August 5th, 2020, 10:16 am

didds wrote:
88V8 wrote:

But presumably the vast mnajority of office workers that are being urged to return to an office and thus share space with others, have been working from home anyway? That isnt getting people into work to pay taxes as thety are already 9still) working?

Or is it actually only me and my dozen colleagues that are WFH all this time as office workers?

didds

WFH? Civil servants? WTF. I've been informed my passport renewal will take longer because of a shortage of working staff due to Covid.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 5th, 2020, 10:21 am

Nimrod103 wrote:
didds wrote:
88V8 wrote:Bojo wants things back to normal. So he doesn't have to start putting up taxes (much).

didds

WFH? Civil servants? WTF. I've been informed my passport renewal will take longer because of a shortage of working staff due to Covid.

That's a bonus.. less use for one at the moment :)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 5th, 2020, 10:26 am

servodude wrote:That's a bonus.. less use for one at the moment :)

Less traditional use for one.

But international travel is just one among many uses for a passport. I remember for example having to produce one to sign up with a local GP: that was kind-of an issue 'cos I'd just sent off my passport (with the relevant forms and payment) for renewal!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 5th, 2020, 10:59 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
servodude wrote:That's a bonus.. less use for one at the moment :)

Less traditional use for one.

But international travel is just one among many uses for a passport. I remember for example having to produce one to sign up with a local GP: that was kind-of an issue 'cos I'd just sent off my passport (with the relevant forms and payment) for renewal!

Yes indeed! It's always useful to have something to rest a drink on ;)
Presently I'm sitting on my forms for two passports; torn between my natural disposition to get a job done and dusted, and the similarly strong impulse not to spend money on something I can't use!

-sd

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 5th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Dod101 wrote:The point about getting office workers back in to offices is to support all the sandwich shops, food outlets and pubs around the office premises.

Dod

Yes - Ive heard this before.

And now remove the business instead provided to all the sandwich shops, food outlets and pubs - and corner shops and local delivery fast food places - near to various people's own homes.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul - people have to eat from somewhere, whether its in EC1 or ME9. The argument doesnt stack up.
Last edited by didds on August 5th, 2020, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 5th, 2020, 12:09 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:WFH? Civil servants? WTF. I've been informed my passport renewal will take longer because of a shortage of working staff due to Covid.

well that is more potentially an indication that the civil service is inefficient rather than a reason WHY those workers HAVE to be in an office rather than WFH.

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 5th, 2020, 12:12 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:But international travel is just one among many uses for a passport. I remember for example having to produce one to sign up with a local GP: that was kind-of an issue 'cos I'd just sent off my passport (with the relevant forms and payment) for renewal!

And that is just an example of really poorly thought through "requirements". There are many reasons why one would NOT hold a current passport - being 75 years old with no plans to ever leave the country because travel insurance is probitively expensive being one. This has cropped up multiple times on TLF and previously on TMF wrt applying for bank accounts. At the age of 47 I was without a passport for 18 months, because my previous one had expired and I knew I had no plans to travel outside of the UK/Ireland when it expired ... and saw no point wasting a fraction of the passport fee just to hold one (see Servodude's similar point above ).

didds

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 5th, 2020, 12:48 pm

dealtn wrote:So there are 50,000 pubs in the UK. Do you happen to know the infection outcomes in the other 49,999? I'm afraid all you are doing is demonstrating Selection Bias. A well known statistical term.

All you are demonstrating is "potential" and from a single pub. It could be just as easily argued (from your data) that it demonstrates potentially how little threat there is, with "only" one hospitalised from literally hundreds of thousands of pub visits. No-one is forcing anyone to adopt any greater personal risk than they want to are they?

Looks like the damned Scots aren't listening to your logic, does it? Just one pub outbreak in Aberdeen, and then a few dozen more infections in a couple of days, and the headless-chicken panic-mongers decide that there's a wider outbreak going on, and all the pubs in the city need to be closed. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53666665

It's a disgrace. Whatever happened to an individual's right to play Russian roulette in any bar of his choice? And, to coin a phrase, "where's the proof" that all the other pubs are infected zones? ;)

BJ

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 5th, 2020, 2:04 pm

servodude wrote:Presently I'm sitting on my forms for two passports; torn between my natural disposition to get a job done and dusted, and the similarly strong impulse not to spend money on something I can't use!

You can use your passport. You are merely choosing not to. By the end of September I will have taken four international flights this summer.

Airports and planes are fairly empty and quiet but, globally, millions of people are flying every day. You can too.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 5th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Just had my first 50% off lunch. Thank you HMG for the £16 plus saving. My first choice of pub had no free reservation spots until 3pm, the second choice had just 2 reservations, of which we were the first. One drinker, two waiting to register their presence and us, plus some more in the garden.

I fail to see why people are worried about going out to eat.

TJH

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 5th, 2020, 2:37 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Just had my first 50% off lunch. Thank you HMG for the £16 plus saving. My first choice of pub had no free reservation spots until 3pm, the second choice had just 2 reservations, of which we were the first. One drinker, two waiting to register their presence and us, plus some more in the garden.

I fail to see why people are worried about going out to eat.

TJH

Look in the mirror, and you'll see the reason I won't be eating out for a while yet. As an 'eater outer', you're more likely to be a spreader than someone still taking great care to neither get infected nor infect others.

When I visit a customer I turn wearing a mask and gloves for their benefit. One customer the other day said to me "Oh you don't need to bother about all that, we're very relaxed about all this coronavirus rubbish.".

I thought to myself "Ah now, you're exactly the sort of person I think I'll keep my mask ON around, thank you..."

I said it more politely though.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 5th, 2020, 2:40 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I fail to see why people are worried about going out to eat.

Same reason as avoiding anything that involves being in a confined space with others.
The govt has worked hard to make us nervous and inform us about suspended aerosols, and we're showing that we've paid attention :)

V8

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”