Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Difficult security question

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Difficult security question

Postby raybarrow » February 18th, 2017, 3:02 pm

I have been 'tidying up' my Standing Orders between numerous interest paying accounts and finally got a 'security check needed to confirm this item - please phone my bank'. Lloyds by the way.

OK, no problem, happy that they decided to check, I had done a lot. I explained what I had been doing and to 'release' the transaction they required a security check. That's where it got interesting. They gave me a number of dates and asked if I had opened an account with any bank on one of them or not as the case may be. I have accounts with Tesco, Lloyds, TSB, HBoS, Santander, Nationwide, First Direct too name a few. I could have easily looked up when I opened a specific account but it had to be the other way round. They give me a date only and I confirm Yes or No. Managed it in the end but for a while it was a problem.

Anyone else had this?
The moral is, I suppose, don't do too much account activity in a short space of time as the unknown next 'security question' could be an even trickier one.

Cheers,
Ray.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Difficult security question

Postby Lootman » February 18th, 2017, 3:10 pm

raybarrow wrote:I have accounts with Tesco, Lloyds, TSB, HBoS, Santander, Nationwide, First Direct too name a few . . . The moral is, I suppose, don't do too much account activity in a short space of time as the unknown next 'security question' could be an even trickier one.

The moral might be to not have so many accounts. Somehow I've managed with just one bank account for the last 10 years.

But I've struggled with this as well. A simple question like "what is the credit limit on your card?" or "where was the last time you used your card?" have thrown me for a loop in the past. But as in your case, they were willing to keep trying different questions until I got a couple right.

Another problem is when using cards overseas. If there is a problem while I am in a location where my phone doesn't work, then I quite simply do not receive the call or text. And then the card is frozen until I get back to the UK.

So there are good reasons to have multiple accounts, at least when it comes to credit cards.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » February 18th, 2017, 3:50 pm

Hi,

As I am sure you realise, the multiple bank accounts are because I am a 'rate tart'. 4% here, 3% there, etc all adds up if you are prepared to put the work in setting things up - and I am. With Mrs B on board as well our combined annual interest is quite healthy. I am retired so can dedicate time to this, although not a lot once it is all in place and running automatically.

Cheers,
Ray.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » February 19th, 2017, 4:44 pm

raybarrow wrote:They gave me a number of dates and asked if I had opened an account with any bank on one of them or not as the case may be. I have accounts with Tesco, Lloyds, TSB, HBoS, Santander, Nationwide, First Direct too name a few. I could have easily looked up when I opened a specific account but it had to be the other way round. They give me a date only and I confirm Yes or No. Managed it in the end but for a while it was a problem.

I guess they have access to this information through CIFAS, or possibly through a credit check. I don't think they can just do a credit check whenever they like, so unless you're applying for a new product, or changing a credit/overdraft limit, they can't be accessing that - so it would have to be CIFAS. You can find out what data CIFAS hold by doing a Subject Access Request but it will cost you £10.

You can (and should occasionally anyway) check your record with the major credit reference agencies for the statutory fee of £2 - so if you do that and keep it safe, you should have the necessary data to hand I suppose (note to self - go and request my credit ref record....)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 19th, 2017, 5:28 pm

chas49 wrote:You can (and should occasionally anyway) check your record with the major credit reference agencies for the statutory fee of £2

You can do it all for free nowadays.

Experian: https://www.protectmyid.co.uk
Equifax: https://www.clearscore.com (it's not just your credit score)
Callcredit: https://www.noddle.co.uk

Experian also have a separate free credit score facility at https://c1.experian.co.uk/ (unlike the other two above, the Experian credit record site doesn't give you a credit score...)

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » February 19th, 2017, 5:39 pm

mc2fool wrote:
chas49 wrote:You can (and should occasionally anyway) check your record with the major credit reference agencies for the statutory fee of £2

Experian also have a separate free credit score facility at https://c1.experian.co.uk/ (unlike the other two above, the Experian credit record site doesn't give you a credit score...)

Thanks - I couldn't see a free option on the Experian link though?? And looking at www.experian.co.uk you can get a free credit score but the statutory report is £2

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » February 19th, 2017, 5:49 pm

I couldn't see a free option on the Experian link though?? And looking at http://www.experian.co.uk you can get a free credit score but the statutory report is £2

I can get my Experian Credit Report (not just the score) for free via Martin Lewis' new Money Saving Expert Credit Club

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 19th, 2017, 6:14 pm

chas49 wrote:Thanks - I couldn't see a free option on the Experian link though??

Where do you see a non-free option? You don't 'cos there aren't any options, it's just free :D

If you are jumping to conclusions because the progress banner at the top on the first page of the application form says that the second page will be "Address and card details", and you haven't actually gone that far, then you will be pleasantly surprised when you get there ;)

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » February 19th, 2017, 6:37 pm

mc2fool wrote:
chas49 wrote:Thanks - I couldn't see a free option on the Experian link though??

Where do you see a non-free option? You don't 'cos there aren't any options, it's just free :D

If you are jumping to conclusions because the progress banner at the top on the first page of the application form says that the second page will be "Address and card details", and you haven't actually gone that far, then you will be pleasantly surprised when you get there ;)

OK - I was pleasantly surprised. Wonder why they don't make it more obvious!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 19th, 2017, 7:09 pm

DrBunsenHoneydew wrote:I can get my Experian Credit Report (not just the score) for free via Martin Lewis' new Money Saving Expert Credit Club

Shame it has a flawed application form, not allowing free form address entry and hence suffering Experian's long-standing brain-dead address matching so-called algorithms. Never mind...

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 20th, 2017, 6:21 pm

mc2fool wrote:

I looked at signing up with noddle a while back and it was just a bit invasive, to say the least.
Do the others want as much info before they will sign you up?

Slarti

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 20th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Slarti wrote:I looked at signing up with noddle a while back and it was just a bit invasive, to say the least.

I don't particularly remember it being so, although it was almost three years ago for me. What sort of thing do you mean?

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 20th, 2017, 6:29 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Slarti wrote:I looked at signing up with noddle a while back and it was just a bit invasive, to say the least.

I don't particularly remember it being so, although it was almost three years ago for me. What sort of thing do you mean?

It was only a couple of years ago, but I must be honest and say, I don't remember. But whatever it was made me say, "you must be joking!" - perhaps something about them selling your details for advertising?

I'll have another look later in the week.

Slarti

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 20th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Slarti wrote:It was only a couple of years ago, but I must be honest and say, I don't remember. But whatever it was made me say, "you must be joking!" - perhaps something about them selling your details for advertising?

They have the usual opt outs for marketing communications, both from them and third parties. I have them all turned off and I've never received anything unsolicited, unwanted or unexpected from either them or anyone else as a result of signing up with them -- and I gave them a unique-to-them email address for me, so if they'd given it to anyone else to use I'd know it was them who'd done so.

In any case, if you're worried about what a credit reference agency's site is asking for you to sign up, you're going to be absolutely terrified when you realise how much more they know about you already! :shock:

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 21st, 2017, 10:47 am

mc2fool wrote:
Slarti wrote:It was only a couple of years ago, but I must be honest and say, I don't remember. But whatever it was made me say, "you must be joking!" - perhaps something about them selling your details for advertising?

They have the usual opt outs for marketing communications, both from them and third parties. I have them all turned off and I've never received anything unsolicited, unwanted or unexpected from either them or anyone else as a result of signing up with them -- and I gave them a unique-to-them email address for me, so if they'd given it to anyone else to use I'd know it was them who'd done so.

In any case, if you're worried about what a credit reference agency's site is asking for you to sign up, you're going to be absolutely terrified when you realise how much more they know about you already! :shock:

Having had my statutory reports a couple of times, I am more worried about what they don't have.

This last time, when I was checking because of an attempt at identity theft, there was one interest free credit agreement that had just finished that wasn't on any of the reports. Which is a bit worrying.

Slarti

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » March 3rd, 2017, 5:10 pm

mc2fool wrote:

Just been looking at their site and, in particular, their privacy policy and here is a bit I object to
Combining data

The information you give us may be combined with other information about you that is obtained from other sources. The combination is usually undertaken with a view to enhancing an existing database with more information. For example:

If you are already a customer of a third party, that third party might wish to add an e-mail address you give us to the customer records that it holds about you, and use that email address to maintain their relationship with you and/or to offer you goods and services that are similar to those you have previously purchased.
The information you give us may be compared with data available elsewhere to verify your identity or validate the information you have provided (for example in the context of anti-fraud measures).
Anonymised information about you may be combined with information about your devices (or cookies deployed on your devices) to improve the relevance of advertising material on websites you visit.

Who we share information with
Our suppliers

We may share your personal information with our agents, sub-contractors and third party processing companies for the purposes of:

providing our services to you;
market research;

I do not want a 3rd party to know the email address that I would be giving to them as it is part of my security to give each commercial contact a unique contact address so that I can see who leaks or generates spam and can block those people with minimal effort.

I am also far from happy about them sharing my information for marketing purposes.

This section does not appear to be covered by the normal opt outs.

I will decline to take their services. Again.

Slarti

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 3rd, 2017, 6:33 pm

Slarti wrote:I do not want a 3rd party to know the email address that I would be giving to them as it is part of my security to give each commercial contact a unique contact address so that I can see who leaks or generates spam and can block those people with minimal effort.

You can opt out of communications from third parties. I do the same as you (give a unique email address to each site I signup to) and I can only repeat that, three years on, I've never received anything as a result of signing up to noddle. And the email address you give them is the only additional thing they find out about you 'cos of you signing up (over and above the mass of things they know already!)

But, hey, it is, of course, totally up to you...

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”