Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Office of Tax Simplification: Capital Gains Tax Survey

Practical Issues
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Office of Tax Simplification: Capital Gains Tax Survey

Postby PinkDalek » July 21st, 2020, 5:47 pm

I'm not seeking a discussion (as there's been plenty on the subject at The Economy already) but if anyone likes filling in surveys, here is the latest:

https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/3HRSVY/

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Re: CGT & Imminent Death

Postby 1nvest » August 11th, 2020, 4:02 pm

In the US, estate tax (IHT) now starts after $11.18 million.

I believe that Ireland used to have a very low allowance, but now see that's €320,000, which smells like EU.

UK IHT raises around £5Bn, but generates a lot of reduction/avoidance measures for in the scale of things relatively little benefit. Would be nice if the bereaved weren't chased for such matters IMO and instead had UK rates uplifted to US similar levels.

dspp
Lemon Half

Re: CGT (survey & suggestion)

Postby dspp » August 11th, 2020, 6:22 pm

1nvest wrote:In the US, estate tax (IHT) now starts after $11.18 million.

I believe that Ireland used to have a very low allowance, but now see that's €320,000, which smells like EU.

UK IHT raises around £5Bn, but generates a lot of reduction/avoidance measures for in the scale of things relatively little benefit. Would be nice if the bereaved weren't chased for such matters IMO and instead had UK rates uplifted to US similar levels.

Moderator Message:
Following an alert I have moved this post. The OP in the original thread was asking what to do in a particular circumstance. This response does not answer that question in any way. I almost threw it in the bin, or in the PD dungeons, please do not hijack practical threads with off-topic political stuff. Or write to the Office For Etc in this case. dspp

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”