Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

Postby scotia » August 16th, 2020, 9:54 pm

kiloran wrote:It's one of the great pleasures of life, going up a hill and breaking through the cloud.
--kiloran

and thats true with even modest little hills. I remember from Castlelaw Hill in the Pentlands looking down at the cotton wool covering Midlothian.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 16th, 2020, 10:12 pm

oldapple wrote:
dealtn wrote:I don't normally post here, but just to say I see the "upside down" pics too, so someone isn't alone!

Are you in Australia?

Thwack!

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 16th, 2020, 11:09 pm

I can tell you from personal experience, that one of the most buttock clenching occasions is when you are flying in cloud and descend below your safety height, relying on your dead reckoning, and come out below the cloud, in a valley with hills going into the cloud either side of you. I refused to do it, so my instructor took the aircraft down with that result. A few hundred yards either side and we would have been another nasty statistic and a warning to other airmen.

On the other hand, taking off on a dank and dreary day, to emerge from the top of the cloud into brilliant sunshine, is a marvellous experience.

TJH

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » August 17th, 2020, 9:09 am

Great pictures Snorvey.

My colleagues sometimes emerge just above the clouds at their work place
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/taruisa- ... 24960-bUb5

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 17th, 2020, 10:18 am

sunnyjoe wrote:Great pictures Snorvey.

My colleagues sometimes emerge just above the clouds at their work place
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/taruisa- ... 24960-bUb5

Beautiful picture of wind turbines rotating in so little a breeze that it doesn't seem to affect the woolly clouds.
A suspicious lad like me could be wondering if the turbines were motoring rather than generating :D
I remember when a Hydro operator was asked to spill water over a Dam so it would make a nice background to a publicity photo for a public service organisation. The overture was refused.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 18th, 2020, 9:16 am

scotia wrote:Beautiful picture of wind turbines rotating in so little a breeze that it doesn't seem to affect the woolly clouds.
A suspicious lad like me could be wondering if the turbines were motoring rather than generating :D
I remember when a Hydro operator was asked to spill water over a Dam so it would make a nice background to a publicity photo for a public service organisation. The overture was refused.

I'm reminded of a French report I read a few years ago, to the effect that considerable numbers of French turbines weren't connected to the local electricity grid at all because it hadn't been built yet. :D They'd been erected in a hurry, so as to take advantage of temporary planning windows, and they were still spinning uselessly while the grid people thought about perhaps putting in the applications for the pylons?

Might be an urban myth, of course, but it has a curiously Gallic ring of authenticity to it. It's not just Britain that awards shipping contracts to companies that don't have any ships.

BJ

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 18th, 2020, 11:31 pm

Snorvey wrote:A waterpark in Wuhan, this weekend past.

I don't see many golden oldies and I fear that I know the reason. :roll:

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 18th, 2020, 11:53 pm

We are off to Pitlochry this week, and yesterday we climbed up Craigower. The National Trust for Scotland description is
" At 407m (1,335ft) it’s less challenging than a Munro, but the short, steep climb to the top of Craigower is worth the effort as the open heathland allows for panoramic views from the summit"
We are both in our mid seventies, so we can vouch for the (not so) short (very) steep climb to the top.
Weather was cloudy overcast, so here is the view over Loch Faskally and Pitlochry below.

And here's the open heathland

But also on the top we came across this notice

High Life for Low Life? I wonder what makes a snake want to climb the hill.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 19th, 2020, 12:56 am

scotia wrote:High Life for Low Life? I wonder what makes a snake want to climb the hill.

I met a slow worm round there about 15 years ago; weird wee things.
I'll see if I can find the photo

- sd

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 19th, 2020, 1:22 am

OK, here's a couple dedicated to this thread's esteemed progenitor (or, more specifically, his recent posting style). Early evening light on the canal.

And the wider picture:

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 19th, 2020, 12:06 pm

servodude wrote:
scotia wrote:High Life for Low Life? I wonder what makes a snake want to climb the hill.

I'll see if I can find the photo

- sd

I remember seeing one in Assynt many years ago - but I didn't take its photo :)
And another strange feature on the Craigower climb. From the top, we traversed over to the neighbouring Telecoms masts, then returned down the long snaking service road. And on either side of the road, and also over areas of the hill where there had been coniferous tree clearances some years ago, there were Buddleia bushes in profusion. Its certainly not a usual sight in other of my highland walks. Is there anybody out there with a plausible explanation?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 19th, 2020, 12:15 pm

scotia wrote:I remember seeing one in Assynt many years ago - but I didn't take its photo :)
And another strange feature on the Craigower climb. From the top, we traversed over to the neighbouring Telecoms masts, then returned down the long snaking service road. And on either side of the road, and also over areas of the hill where there had been coniferous tree clearances some years ago, there were Buddleia bushes in profusion. Its certainly not a usual sight in other of my highland walks. Is there anybody out there with a plausible explanation?

On Googling there's some mention of it being mainly due to dumped garden waste.

It's not seen as being as much a problem as really invasive species like rhododendron and Himalayan balsam.

Scott.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 19th, 2020, 12:39 pm

swill453 wrote:
scotia wrote: And another strange feature on the Craigower climb. From the top, we traversed over to the neighbouring Telecoms masts, then returned down the long snaking service road. And on either side of the road, and also over areas of the hill where there had been coniferous tree clearances some years ago, there were Buddleia bushes in profusion. Its certainly not a usual sight in other of my highland walks. Is there anybody out there with a plausible explanation?

On Googling there's some mention of it being mainly due to dumped garden waste.

It's not seen as being as much a problem as really invasive species like rhododendron and Himalayan balsam.

Scott.

Thanks for looking it up. But in some ways that makes it even stranger. I can't think anyone is going climb up 1000ft to get rid of their garden rubbish! And the number and density of the bushes makes it difficult to believe that the source is a single stray plant. It almost looks like there was a deliberate plantation along the sides of the service road, and possibly in the neighbouring clearings. Could the Pitlochry Tourist Board be attempting to beautify the surroundings, and their volunteers have been a bit enthusiastic? Or was a condition imposed on the Telecom Mast constructors to "improve" the look of a bare access road? :)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 20th, 2020, 9:03 pm

Apparently, filming hanging bats 'upside down' looks like the best goth nightclub in town....

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FlusteredWanGecko-mobile.mp4

Some proper moves going down in there...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » August 21st, 2020, 2:40 am

I hadn’t seen a slow worm since the 60s on a family holiday to Devon, until this year, when i saw two of them (so far).

One in the spring, one a few weeks ago and several miles apart. Both were on a oath in woods, both appeared to be dead, but weren’t. Both I picked up and moved from the path for safety, and could feel them tense slightly as I was carrying them, and still barely moved after I set them down.

They are not called slow worms for nothing, are they?

Difficult to imagine how they feed, short of opening their mouths and hoping something tasty will blunder into it. The two I saw didn’t look capable of chasing down even a slug.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 21st, 2020, 9:05 am

madhatter wrote:They are not called slow worms for nothing, are they?

Yeah. If you're going to be a lizard rather than a snake I'd imagine legs help

-sd

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 21st, 2020, 9:12 am

I almost trod on a basking one a couple of weeks ago, in the wooded part of local golf course

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 21st, 2020, 9:55 am

Slow worms liked the garden of my last house. I encountered them a few times there, and they moved pretty sharpish if I happened to be coming near them with a garden tool!

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » August 21st, 2020, 10:04 am

I'm very lucky the house and garden is very close to a SSSI which is home to a nationally important number of slow worms, grass snakes, and adders. They are all frequent visitors to our garden. I actually find all of them very interesting so it doesn't present a problem.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 21st, 2020, 10:52 am

I have seen 2 slowworms recently, both lying in the road with the appearance of having been pecked by a bird, with the tail apart and wriggling. Alternatively they may have just given birth. I have not seen this before.

TJH

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”