Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Renew Driving Licences Over 70 Online How Send Photo?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Renew Driving Licences Over 70 Online How Send Photo?

Postby tlf67482 » August 24th, 2020, 11:21 am

Does anyone know if when you are renewing a driving licence using the online service for an over 70 year old how it handles the need of a photo?

Obviously still on an old paper based license so the new licence needs a photo.

If the government doesn't have your photo what does the online renewal system do?

Thanks

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Re: Renew Driving Licences Over 70 Online How Send Photo?

Postby NomoneyNohoney » August 24th, 2020, 12:10 pm

"If your licence is valid for at least 2 more years, you’ll have to renew it to change your photo.

If it’s valid for less than 2 years, you can change your photo when you update your address.

You can either:

choose to use the same photo as your passport
send a recent passport-style photo - you’ll get a letter telling you how to send it after you’ve used the online service

It costs £14. You can pay by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card. There’s no fee if you’re over 70 or have a medical short period licence."

This was in the section about changing your address but seems to cover your question.

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » August 24th, 2020, 12:11 pm

tlf67482 wrote:If the government doesn't have your photo what does the online renewal system do?

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the DVLA system can access your most recent passport photo.

I renewed my driving licence in April 2019, and the system used my passport photo submitted in September 2016.

Edit: Overlapped with NMNH's response

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 24th, 2020, 2:01 pm

tlf67482 wrote:Does anyone know if when you are renewing a driving licence using the online service for an over 70 year old how it handles the need of a photo?

How does it work if you have an old style green licence which will need renewal as a 70th birthday approaches? Do the DVLA automatically send a reminder and form to complete?

niord
Lemon Pip

Postby niord » August 24th, 2020, 3:53 pm

I didn't actually realise until a friend got caught out but the driving licence needs to be renewed every three years after you have reached 70 too, and they don't remind you

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 24th, 2020, 4:55 pm

niord wrote:I didn't actually realise until a friend got caught out but the driving licence needs to be renewed every three years after you have reached 70 too, and they don't remind you

Just discovered that my licence expires in October this year. I am sure though that I have been reminded in the past and will see what happens this time. If you are not reminded what are you supposed to do?

Dod

niord
Lemon Pip

Postby niord » August 24th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Dod101 wrote:
niord wrote:I didn't actually realise until a friend got caught out but the driving licence needs to be renewed every three years after you have reached 70 too, and they don't remind you

Just discovered that my licence expires in October this year. I am sure though that I have been reminded in the past and will see what happens this time. If you are not reminded what are you supposed to do?

Dod

The DVLA should send out a form up to 80 days before your 70th birthday but there doesn't seem to be any rule that they will send out a reminder after that. My friend certainly didn't get a reminder at 73 and having a quick browse online some say they have received one and others say that they haven't. It will be interesting to see if you get one.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 24th, 2020, 5:32 pm

niord wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

The DVLA should send out a form up to 80 days before your 70th birthday but there doesn't seem to be any rule that they will send out a reminder after that. My friend certainly didn't get a reminder at 73 and having a quick browse online some say they have received one and others say that they haven't. It will be interesting to see if you get one.

Thanks for mentioning it anyway because I most certainly would not have remembered. It will be my 3rd anniversary after age 70 though for me!
Incidentally you are right; they used my passport photo last time. I had just renewed it so it is I think still a fair resemblance!

Dod

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Postby tlf67482 » August 24th, 2020, 11:05 pm

Dod101 wrote:Just discovered that my licence expires in October this year. I am sure though that I have been reminded in the past and will see what happens this time. If you are not reminded what are you supposed to do?Dod

No letter received about having to do this at 70 lucky I knew and had it in the diary.

Must be Covid reduced service and letters are not being sent out as only a few weeks left now.

I suspect this is going to be a PITA as I think passport expired a few months back. I wonder if they will still use it for the photo.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 25th, 2020, 7:13 am

tlf67482 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Just discovered that my licence expires in October this year. I am sure though that I have been reminded in the past and will see what happens this time. If you are not reminded what are you supposed to do?Dod

No letter received about having to do this at 70 lucky I knew and had it in the diary.

Must be Covid reduced service and letters are not being sent out as only a few weeks left now.

I suspect this is going to be a PITA as I think passport expired a few months back. I wonder if they will still use it for the photo.

So what did you do as, if I remember correctly, you need to complete a series of questions? I suppose it can be done online but what if you have no access to online?

Dod

Nocton
Lemon Slice

Postby Nocton » August 25th, 2020, 8:37 am

Going back to the OP's original question re adding a photo, you just take a photo with (digital) camera, save it to your PC, and upload it from the PC in the normal way for uploading files. The only proviso, as with passport photos, is that you have to get the format/size correct. But the system tells you what is needed. Otherwise, I can't remember whether my wife did it for her driving licence or passport, you can get the photo taken at a photo shop and they email you a code which you enter, whereupon the photo loads automatically. As far as I can remember I have always had reminders to renew. Of course, until you've got a modern driving licence and done it on-line the DVLA does not have your email address to remind you automatically that way. I am surprised you still have a paper licence as I had a modern one with photo before I was 70.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » August 25th, 2020, 12:11 pm

I recently renewed my passport (blue one - woohoo :roll: ) and was pleased to find that spending a couple of quid in a photobooth outside the local sainsbury's gave me some photos and a code that I could use on my application whereby they could access the photo on line. Seemed very efficient and worked seemlessly. I think the same applies to driving licenses.

Maybe everyone knows this but I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was.

MM

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 25th, 2020, 4:10 pm

Nocton wrote:... I am surprised you still have a paper licence as I had a modern one with photo before I was 70.

The requirement is that if you changed address after paper licences ended you had to get an new photo ID licence. But if you have not moved, then the paper licence remains valid and does not need to be renewed until age 70.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 25th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Breelander wrote:
Nocton wrote:... I am surprised you still have a paper licence as I had a modern one with photo before I was 70.

The requirement is that if you changed address after paper licences ended you had to get an new photo ID licence. But if you have not moved, then the paper licence remains valid and does not need to be renewed until age 70.

Are those old "red book" licenses still valid if you never moved?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 25th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Lootman wrote:Are those old "red book" licenses still valid if you never moved?

I think they had to be renewed fairly regularly anyway. Every 3 years maybe? The "valid until age 70" licences didn't come in till the green ones in the 70s. Or maybe the green and pink.

Scott.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » August 25th, 2020, 5:08 pm

swill453 wrote:

I think they had to be renewed fairly regularly anyway. Every 3 years maybe?

I believe that was the case and also that they were issued locally by county councils. DVLA would have been set up sometime in the 1970s and one of its jobs was to computerise driving licences. One of the ideas they came up with to reduce administration was to let the license run to age 70. That was thwarted with the EU requirement for photos on licenses and then the interpretation that the photo had to be renewed every ten years.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 25th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Alaric wrote:
swill453 wrote:

I think they had to be renewed fairly regularly anyway. Every 3 years maybe?

I believe that was the case and also that they were issued locally by county councils. DVLA would have been set up sometime in the 1970s and one of its jobs was to computerise driving licences. One of the ideas they came up with to reduce administration was to let the license run to age 70. That was thwarted with the EU requirement for photos on licenses and then the interpretation that the photo had to be renewed every ten years.

Interesting. I got my license in 1970 and it was a red book. I still have it somewhere.

At some point I got the green paper one. Still no picture, as I recall.

I clung onto that until about a decade ago when a house move forced me to get the photocard license. That came with a paper counterpart which has since gone away.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 25th, 2020, 11:33 pm

Alaric wrote:I believe that was the case and also that they were issued locally by county councils.

And County Borough Councils, who also had their own registration marks, like DK for Rochdale. We lived there for 5 years and my Driving Licence was issued by Rochdale CBC. I was stopped by a policeman in West Virginia, who asked for the usual "Driver's Licence and Registration, Please". He looked at My red license and said "Where the hell is this place, Rockdale".
"In England", I said.
"Do you-all have speed limits there?".
"Yes, we do".
"Do you know we have speed limts hyere?".
"Yes, I've been trying to obey them".
" What's the speed limit just here?"
"45?".
"40 and you was doin' 50. Furthermore I suspect you may be intoxicated".

I told him that if we saw flashing blue lights coming up behind us, it was usually an emergency vehicle and we got out of its way as soon as we could. As I was going to my friend's Motel, I accelerated and pulled in there after a short distance. That was when I found out that flashing lights behind you in the USA mean Stop.

I had a second experience the same night as I was going back to my Hotel over the river in Ohio. This one thought that I was drunk because I was swerving all over the road. I explained that it was the power steering to which I was unaccustomed.

I got let off on both occasions.

TJH

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 26th, 2020, 9:22 am

tjh290633 wrote:And County Borough Councils, who also had their own registration marks, like DK for Rochdale. We lived there for 5 years and my Driving Licence was issued by Rochdale CBC. I was stopped by a policeman in West Virginia, who asked for the usual "Driver's Licence and Registration, Please".
TJH

And, of course, there is the story about the US policeman looking at the british driving licence and saying "Hey, you must be a pretty good driver. I see you have two endorsements"

--kiloran

tlf67482
2 Lemon pips

Postby tlf67482 » August 26th, 2020, 11:34 am

Nocton wrote:Going back to the OP's original question re adding a photo, you just take a photo with (digital) camera, save it to your PC, and upload it from the PC in the normal way for uploading files. The only proviso, as with passport photos, is that you have to get the format/size correct. But the system tells you what is needed. Otherwise, I can't remember whether my wife did it for her driving licence or passport, you can get the photo taken at a photo shop and they email you a code which you enter, whereupon the photo loads automatically. As far as I can remember I have always had reminders to renew. Of course, until you've got a modern driving licence and done it on-line the DVLA does not have your email address to remind you automatically that way. I am surprised you still have a paper licence as I had a modern one with photo before I was 70.

Not moved address and wanting to avoid the 10 yearly fee for licence renewal I have stuck with the paper based licence until now unfortunately.

The passport renewal has online photo booth support I am trying to find out about the driving licence it seems odd I can find no mention of being able to anything other than to use the passport photo if it is on file otherwise you are out of luck by the looks of it. If I knew it supported a booth code I know to get this sorted before I apply online.

If you can just upload any photo / use booth code does that mean there is also no requirement for the photo to be "certified" any longer (ie it can be of my "cat" if i wish - assuming the dimensions are correct :) ?

I guess I will find out when I finally decide to give it a try - not looking forward to it. I have a feeling it is going to go all wrong and I end up having to do a postal application anyway. This seems to mention loads of ID requirements and original documents in the post which I am concerned about the post/DVLA losing and not returning.

Thanks

Return to “Does anyone know?”