Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

Postby swill453 » August 21st, 2020, 4:19 pm

Here's a slow worm we came across in Austria in 2013:

Scott.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 22nd, 2020, 12:24 am

Well - as promised to UncleE, https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22747#p334924
Out we went, the rain stopped, and we had a delightful walk up round the Falls of Bruar

That's the lower falls , and we continued up round the upper falls on the path with sheer drops to the stream below. Don't look over if you suffer from vertigo!

Robert Burns visited the Falls, and felt that the rather bare slopes would benefit from tree cover - so he penned a verse

and the Duke of Atholl obliged.

Recently there has been some cropping of conifers from neighbouring slopes (which I kept out of the photo), but it has been accompanied by extensive new plantings of mixed trees and bushes. And continuing with the good cheer that I promised UncleE, I won't mention the word midge.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 22nd, 2020, 10:33 am

sunnyjoe wrote:Great pictures Snorvey.

My colleagues sometimes emerge just above the clouds at their work place
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/taruisa- ... 24960-bUb5

May I take a major swerve off topic, and ask how come those wind turbines are rotating at a fair lick whilst surrounded by apparently stationary cloud?

I notice similar happening on the wind turbine by J11 on the M4 occasionally. It can be spinning away merrily on a flat calm day with barely discernible wind.

The only explanation I can think of is the grid is supplying power to keep it spinning. Is it perhaps like a large ship's propshaft and must never stop turning or the bearing faces cold-weld themselves together, perhaps?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 23rd, 2020, 6:04 pm

Underwater sunset -

Source - Dan Legend photography - https://www.danlegend.com/UNDER-THE-SEA/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » August 23rd, 2020, 6:23 pm

Mike4 wrote:May I take a major swerve off topic, and ask how come those wind turbines are rotating at a fair lick whilst surrounded by apparently stationary cloud?

I notice similar happening on the wind turbine by J11 on the M4 occasionally. It can be spinning away merrily on a flat calm day with barely discernible wind.

The only explanation I can think of is the grid is supplying power to keep it spinning. Is it perhaps like a large ship's propshaft and must never stop turning or the bearing faces cold-weld themselves together, perhaps?

This question was answered in the attached comments.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 23rd, 2020, 6:40 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Underwater sunset -

I didn't know we had borderline-anorexic mermaids :roll:

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 23rd, 2020, 11:10 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Underwater sunset -

Source - Dan Legend photography - https://www.danlegend.com/UNDER-THE-SEA/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Which way is UP? Have I also joined the happy band of confused orientations? :D

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » August 24th, 2020, 9:50 pm

She's a metre+ under the surface, which is flipped to vertical on her left. It's sunset.... good job no tiger sharks have come in for a look-see yet or I expect the overall look might be less elegantly poised ;)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 24th, 2020, 10:43 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:She's a metre+ under the surface, which is flipped to vertical on her left. It's sunset.... good job no tiger sharks have come in for a look-see yet or I expect the overall look might be less elegantly poised ;)

Even if you allow that she is somehow posing as described without getting water in the airways, how on Earth does her hair look like that?

Not to mention the glasses and whatever that is behind the ear, which would surely have been dislodged by the vigorous manoeuvre implied by the pose!

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » August 24th, 2020, 11:03 pm

The rays seem to be almost perpendicular to the waters surface. The photo would have to be taken directly facing or in 180 degrees away from the the the Sun. Otherwise it ain't sunset.
There again perhaps I should get a life.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » August 25th, 2020, 4:33 pm

In a probably doomed attempt to shed several decades' worth of accumulated blobbiness, but also because I enjoy exploring my local neighbourhood, I've recently taken to going for a local walk most evenings after work.

I'm very lucky, in that within just a few minutes I'm in highly congenial surroundings.

This was yesterday evening, an absolutely perfect evening for a riverside walk:

It's amazing how you can live / work in a place for 30 years, yet know so little about the immediate area apart from the places visited regularly. It makes you realise how very linear and repetitive so much of one's life can so easily become.

Unfortunately, looking out at a vision of driving rain and wind I don't think I'll be getting much exercise this evening!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 25th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Unfortunately, looking out at a vision of driving rain and wind I don't think I'll be getting much exercise this evening!

Couple of potential remedies for that. May or may not be applicable to you. The first is one that needs you to commit fully; the second is more easygoing and is one I use personally.

(1) Get a dog. Someone who will insist on decent walkies a couple of times a day in all weather.
(2) Find - if necessary create - a motive to go out for at least some walkies when it's foul out there. My most usual is supermarket shopping. Or at least was: I don't know how I'll cope if as seems likely that's still banned when the proper autumn weather (which today seems to presage) arrives.

Once upon a time, I had commuting for basic daily exercise.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 25th, 2020, 5:54 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:Unfortunately, looking out at a vision of driving rain and wind I don't think I'll be getting much exercise this evening!

Wimp!
Isn't there a saying about no bad weather, just wrong clothing.

It's actually very invigorating getting back home and drying out after a walk in foul weather

--kiloran

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 25th, 2020, 6:00 pm

kiloran wrote:

Wimp!
Isn't there a saying about no bad weather, just wrong clothing.

It's actually very invigorating getting back home and drying out after a walk in foul weather

--kiloran

It's not the walk, it's the contemplation that puts you off.

Though past a certain threshold, weather can be a genuine issue. Getting drenched in foul water thrown up by passing cars is not the same as a bit of honest rain. Or too-slippery icy pavements can be a hazard as you get older.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 25th, 2020, 6:18 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote: My most usual is supermarket shopping. Or at least was: I don't know how I'll cope if as seems likely that's still banned when the proper autumn weather (which today seems to presage) arrives.

?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 25th, 2020, 6:43 pm

scotia wrote:High Life for Low Life? I wonder what makes a snake want to climb the hill.

Because it's there!

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » August 26th, 2020, 9:56 am

Snorvey wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
scotia wrote:High Life for Low Life? I wonder what makes a snake want to climb the hill.

Because it's there!

George Mallory in c. 1924. When discussing Everest

Snorvey (Motley Fool) 2013 when talking about Ben Rinnes along the South East Ridge/Nuptse Wall.

You get a lot of crud coming down the flanks of Nuptse, and the ridge looks an utter shitshow. Definitely not worth climbing because it is there. The old term used to be "unjustifiable". Nice to look at from a safe distance though.

It is worth walking in the rain because you get a different perspective on things. Where does the wildlife go in the rain ? What sees it as a time of safety & opportunity ? How does the water flow ?

regards, dspp

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » August 28th, 2020, 9:26 pm

Leothebear wrote:The rays seem to be almost perpendicular to the waters surface. The photo would have to be taken directly facing or in 180 degrees away from the the the Sun. Otherwise it ain't sunset. There again perhaps I should get a life.

It's photoshopped to bits. The tone of light is evening light (if it's real), the angle who knows what with refraction etc. She's been 'shopped' into that position, any diver who could 'just descend', without weights, and hold prettily horizontally like that 2M below the surface is going to be a gnarled old pro (diver), not a 'princess' like that featured. Even then I doubt it's be possible, as getting neutral buoyany in 0-2M (ex kit) is impossible, esp in open water (note how the surface is moving). The streams of exhaled bubbles around her are from a diver or divers who are near but out of view.
Contrived but eye catching none the less.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 30th, 2020, 9:35 am

Snorvey - I'm pretty sure I saw your photo of the night at the cinema twice, but when I tried to respond by asking if it was a "spot the difference", the second entry had disappeared. I know I'm not at my brightest at this early hour, but seeing double is not a usual problem :D

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 30th, 2020, 9:50 am

Snorvey wrote:A night at the cinema.

It'll be Glyndebourne tickets next Snorvey. Slippery slope...

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”