Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Life changing

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Life changing

Postby brightncheerful » August 26th, 2020, 4:39 pm

After a couple of years of searching, including some visits in the hope of living the dream of by the seaside, Mrs Bnc finally concluded that as she couldn't find anywhere suitable for us to move to within our price range, we should stay put. We had a go, put our house on the market and days later three viewings - no offers - but the thought of living in a house on the market for sale and unable to relax in case someone would want to view at short notice combined with the logistics of long-distance moving and covid, this being a low risk county, etc, etc, enough. Asking how I felt about not moving, i said "blessed relief".

That didn't last long. Living the dream included getting a dog. Born in July, to be released to us mid September. The breeder is sending us weekly photos of the growing puppy - Labradoodle F1 miniature female, which we've named Molly. I've had dogs before - 2 border terriers, also 2 cats - but since 2007 I've known what's like not to have to fork out for vet bills, dog food, etc. Mrs Bnc is busy propping up the economy buying lots of dog accessories. Times change. 30 years ago I paid £200 for the 2 border terriers. Inflation-adjusted £464.04 now. I won't tell you how much I paid for Molly: lockdown shortage v lockdown demand. Consolation so far is that Labrador breeder doesn't normally sell to the general public, but breeds for guide dogs for the blind and so on. Lockdown put a stop to that so I guess what we and the buyers for the other 4 puppies in the litter have paid should go some way to offsetting the breeder's loss of revenue.

Not as straightforward as before. With the borders, ex gf and I trained them to suit our life-style, which included not necessarily putting them on leads in the street, no picking up poo, no insurance or pet plan payments to the vet. Also, we had garden with lawn. whereas here we do not, So far for Molly, i have in order to provide a grassy area cut down a 21 year old tree, removed an established honeysuckle, and after i've reduced the tree etc to bit-size chunks to put in plastic bags to take to the rubbish dump, I shall turf a flower bed so she can wee and poo to her heart's content. Not to mention removing all toxic plants from the garden, seal escape routes in the fences, and so on. Fortunately we live in dog-friendly road so neighbours are looking forward to yet another barking mad human.

And just to round things off Mrs Bnc is going to be changing her name by deed poll and will henceforth be officially known as someone else. Whether I should refer to her on TLF as Mrs Cnb….

…to be continued

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Re: Life changing

Postby Sobraon » August 26th, 2020, 4:53 pm

No 1 son got a female Labradoodle F1 puppy just before lockdown, absolutely lovely and very affectionate dog. Quite small when young but 6 months later is HUGE and not fully grown yet. Loves people and insists that it is a lapdog. Hope there are no 'standard' poodles in the lineage of yours BNC!

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » August 26th, 2020, 5:32 pm

No 1 son got a female Labradoodle F1 puppy just before lockdown, absolutely lovely and very affectionate dog. Quite small when young but 6 months later is HUGE and not fully grown yet. Loves people and insists that it is a lapdog. Hope there are no 'standard' poodles in the lineage of yours BNC!

Labradoodles come in three sizes. [url]https://www.archviewlabradoodles.com/about-labradoodles/3-sizes-of-australian-labradoodles/
[/url]

From what you say No 1 son's is Standard:
Height: 21 to 24 inches (53cm to 63cm) at wither.
Weight: 50 to 65lbs (23kg to 30kg)

Molly is a Miniature.
Height: 14 to 16 inches (35cm to 42cm) at wither,
Weight: 15 to 25lbs (7kg to 13kg).

i'll let you know after 6 months!

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Postby oldapple » August 26th, 2020, 10:40 pm

I'm following your tales of Molly with interest BnC as I'm also going to be accompanied by a Labradoodle pup in about 4 weeks. My sister gave me the choice of 7 pups, all either jet black or blond, no mixing of colours. I chose the smallest of them all, a blond female who already fights her corner, something I've had to do recently myself on a few occasions. A quick look on Gumtree shows how pups can indeed demand astronomical prices now. I think Rhyd referred to the theft of dogs which has also duly taken off. My little pup is 'Minnie'. Her mother and sisters (from a previous litter) are the most beautiful natured, cheerful greeters you could hope to have and I'm hoping Minnie will have their traits.

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Postby oldapple » September 20th, 2020, 10:49 am

Hope you and Mrs BnC are getting along well with Molly. All I can say is that, now that I have Minnie, I have much less trouble getting to sleep at night. Definitely not a labra-doddle. But I think the world of her.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » September 20th, 2020, 12:21 pm

I was reading an article on dog genetics,sorry can't remember what in, and the writer stated that tests on crossbreeds had shown that when a poodle is included in the mix the poodle gene is the dominant gene. I hope this is correct, I was brought up with and have always had standard poodles, very intelligent, totally loyal and amazing gun dogs. Hope your Molly lives up to expectations and more.

R6

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 20th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:I was reading an article on dog genetics,sorry can't remember what in, and the writer stated that tests on crossbreeds had shown that when a poodle is included in the mix the poodle gene is the dominant gene. I hope this is correct, I was brought up with and have always had standard poodles, very intelligent, totally loyal and amazing gun dogs. Hope your Molly lives up to expectations and more.

R6

Article here courtesy of the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... tly-poodle

RC

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”